Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Tires, Tire Sizes, Types, make / model recommendations, tire discussions, etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you want winter tires (which of course are the way to go in the winter) is there a reason you don't want to buy a set of wheels for them? There's a lot of advantages:
  1. You can buy 18" wheels and tires, making the winters less expensive
  2. 18" wheels would be less prone to damage in the winter
  3. You would not need to mount and balance the tires 2x per year
  4. The cost to swap them - assuming you don't just change the tires yourself - would be way way less
  5. Rims and tires could get damaged during the tire swaps
Tire Rack or wherever would be able to build you a package with winter tires and wheels. Rather than buy 20" winters, a full set is an option you could consider.

Yeah if you live someplace with 'real' winters a second set of wheels/tires is objectively superior for both safety and performance.

If you just live someplace pure summers are undriveable part of the year, but not "real" winter, the Pilot Sport A/S4 is about the best there is, but not (currently) sold in stock 20" Model 3P size... the A/S 3+ is though.

• Helpful
Reactions: Phlier
Take a look at the Michelin CrossClimate+. I put them on last fall and they have been great. Didn't get any real snow but for wet and dry roads they have been great. And the test reports indicate good snow performance. The tires are at least as quiet as the OEM tires, and we like the handling better. Efficiency is about 3% below the original tires.
Crossclimate 2’s have really good reviews. I plan to get them this fall once my current tires are spent.

60k mileage warranty, full tread depth, 3 peak snow rating, great in rain/dry, has a lip to protect your rims. Only negative is a little range hit, like Waltjo mentioned.

Some good info here:

• Helpful
Reactions: Phlier
The Vredestein Quatrac Pro is the best tire I've ever purchased hands down. So happy with them I bought a second set! I already had 20's and 18's and now I only swap to the 18's for really long extended road trips to increase range. These tires are the most quiet tires I've experienced on my Tesla's and also the only 4 season tire that is asymmetrical tread. The handling is superb in snow, ice, rain and hot dry summer. And I bash around the Swiss alps with them all the time. The issue with the cross climates and others is their V shaped pattern increases noise at speed and especially if you have any negative camber. I went through numerous models of tires and am so glad I discovered these. I ended up selling the winters and summers as these were even quieter than the PS4's and I have yet to break them loose or have traction control get in the way. ;-)

• Helpful
Reactions: KenC and PNWLeccy
Some really good information given here, Gents, thanks for that.

And the best part? No one told the new to the forum OP to just search for it.

The OP is in Wales... hopefully some of these choices are available there. Might also want to ask this question in the UK sub forum.

I understand tires arent sexy, and that financial circumstances differ and change, but I might suggest; tires are not the place to skimp and go low budget. Think about it, your tires are the only thing on your expensive car that actually come in contact with the road surface (in an ideal work 🙃 ) they are what make you go, AND what make you stop. I see you are in OC, so you probably dont need two sets, lucky you! That means get one good set and not worry about it for another 25k. Tesla OE Pilot sport 4S's are $230/per with a reasonable warranty (6yrs prorated until 2/32nds tread). You can get some PZero PZ4's for $188/per.

Dont wear sketchers with your tuxedo, complete the "outfit" with quality wheels and you'll be better off.
Concur. Your Model 3 is a very valuable asset. Why cheap out on the #1 thing that protects you and your family?

I see that you live in SoCal, so you could consider summer tires for even better traction, i.e., shorter stopping distance. Of course, if you are a snow person that goes to teh mountains every winter, that won't work.

Reactions: yeahthatguy
The Vredestein Quatrac Pro is the best tire I've ever purchased hands down. So happy with them I bought a second set! I already had 20's and 18's and now I only swap to the 18's for really long extended road trips to increase range. These tires are the most quiet tires I've experienced on my Tesla's and also the only 4 season tire that is asymmetrical tread. The handling is superb in snow, ice, rain and hot dry summer. And I bash around the Swiss alps with them all the time. The issue with the cross climates and others is their V shaped pattern increases noise at speed and especially if you have any negative camber. I went through numerous models of tires and am so glad I discovered these. I ended up selling the winters and summers as these were even quieter than the PS4's and I have yet to break them loose or have traction control get in the way. ;-)
I looked at the Vredestein Quatrac Pro, the reviews were great and the price was attractive. But, at the time I needed tires I couldn't find them anywhere, so I went with Cross Climate Plus, and as I said, I am very happy with them.

Some really good information given here, Gents, thanks for that.

And the best part? No one told the new to the forum OP to just search for it.

The OP is in Wales... hopefully some of these choices are available there. Might also want to ask this question in the UK sub forum.
Vredestein's are definitely available in Wales and all over Europe. And now making inroads in the US. Tire Rack rated them quite highly last year in the US as well. I know they are not very well known there, but worth a look! There are quite a few threads here on those tires already as they come in sizes up to 22 inch so guys with Model S's have been switching over. I forgot to mention that these are UHP also so those autobahn runs are no worry!

Reactions: KenC
Michelin pilot sport 4 as is a great tire. I have it in 245/40/19. Very happy. Have had the A/S3+ and the dsw06 (not the plus tho) on my CTSV prior.

The AS4 is a step up in dry and wet grip and still as responsive as the prior as3+, which was more responsive than the dsw06 IMO. The DSW06 was better in the snow than the as3+, but apparently the as4 is better than either in the snow; I just can’t comment yet.

100% recommend. The 245 profile with 8.6 contact is darn near equal in grip to the stock summer pzero (which is narrow for a 235 at just 7.8” contact). Maybe a touch less responsive than the pzero, but with it being higher sidewall and all season, not a surprise. I’m very happy.

Last edited:
Rumor has it, those were once tires
20210109192744.gif

So have 37k miles on my Tesla, owned for about 2 years, now it needs new tires. After taking the car to Tesla service, the guy said its time for new ties, and showed me the bald rear tires with no tread.

So now trying to find good deals on tires, whether its rebates or buy 3 get 1 free. I saw American Tire Depot and they have some good deals going on. This one tire I'm looking has $100 rebate & buy 3 get 1 free deal. Hopefully I chose the right tire. My Tesla Model 3 has aero wheels, so 18".

The Costco Tire repair guy said that Tesla come with the Michelan Primacy that have foam for acoustic purposes. For quieter ride. He said if I don't go with that, I may get a louder tire, but not sure. No deals on this exact tire as good as other options. I really don't care, a tire is a tire I'm not gonna look it, so would finding the best deal with a name brand tire be good enough? I hope GoodYears are good, it's a huge name and they got cool blimps and associated with NASCAR. If a tire is a tire, just want the best deal from a name brand tire.

Will I really notice any difference if I forgo getting the Michelan Primacy that came on the Tesla Model 3? Can't find much discounts for this tire.

You are so lucky not to have had a blowout or aquaplaned off a road. You need to take your tires more seriously, if you want to avoid an accident in the future. Cheaping out is not the way to take your tires seriously. They're the only thing touching the road.

It wouldn't bother me so much, but your indifference to maintaining your tires properly is not just putting you at risk, but potentially your passengers and others around you.

Hi everyone,

Glad to finally be part of this awesome group :)
I get my car in 4 weeks and I am looking to upgrade wheels on the 2021 Tesla Model 3 (Standard Range Plus) and need some help.
I'm looking at Konig Ampliform in dark metallic graphite in 19".
Wondering if I should go with 8.5" or 9.5".
The 8.5 I can go with either 30 or 45 offset.
The 9.5 I can go with either 25 or 35 offset.
Anyone running similar setup?
Any advise or thoughts?
Also tires I'm thinking to stick with stock size 235/40/19 unless anyone would recommend different (depending if I go with 8.5" or 9.5" as well...)
Also would I need hubcentric rings?
If so, any recommendation?

Thanks everyone for all the help and comments,

You are so lucky not to have had a blowout or aquaplaned off a road. You need to take your tires more seriously, if you want to avoid an accident in the future. Cheaping out is not the way to take your tires seriously. They're the only thing touching the road.

It wouldn't bother me so much, but your indifference to maintaining your tires properly is not just putting you at risk, but potentially your passengers and others around you.

(the following post is my own persona opinion as a regular user only, not as a moderator, and does not represent TMC or anyone else but myself)

If I had to guess, I would say that the OP hasnt bought tires simply because their parents have not told them "its time for you to get tires". OPs on statements here have said that, their parents bought them the car, and their parents also scheduled a covid vaccine for the OP in such a far, inconvenient place that OP felt they needed to create (2) separate threads complaining about it / asking for alternatives.

Its projecting a bit, sure, but I dont think the OP makes that many decisions on their own. I think that, either their parents make the decision for them, or they go "online" to basically get others to make the decision for them after they ask about it.

This same username (with same posting style) was also a poster on the BMW boards I frequented for a few years. Obviously same posting style and user name doesnt mean same person, but its similar enough that it feels like the same person to me.

Anyway, I agree with you 100% that not only is that dangerous for OP, but for people that OP was on the road with, but this OP didnt think about tires until the service center told them "you need new tires" when they had a 12V battery issue and had the car taken there. At some point, hopefully, they start taking responsibility of critical things like this for themselves.

Hi everyone,

Glad to finally be part of this awesome group :)
I get my car in 4 weeks and I am looking to upgrade wheels on the 2021 Tesla Model 3 (Standard Range Plus) and need some help.
I'm looking at Konig Ampliform in dark metallic graphite in 19".
Wondering if I should go with 8.5" or 9.5".
The 8.5 I can go with either 30 or 45 offset.
The 9.5 I can go with either 25 or 35 offset.
Anyone running similar setup?
Any advise or thoughts?
Also tires I'm thinking to stick with stock size 235/40/19 unless anyone would recommend different (depending if I go with 8.5" or 9.5" as well...)
Also would I need hubcentric rings?
If so, any recommendation?

Thanks everyone for all the help and comments,

Dont have an answer to your question, just giving you a free bump so your post is after the one I just made in this master thread.