Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Tires, Tire Sizes, Types, make / model recommendations, tire discussions, etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(the following post is my own persona opinion as a regular user only, not as a moderator, and does not represent TMC or anyone else but myself)

If I had to guess, I would say that the OP hasnt bought tires simply because their parents have not told them "its time for you to get tires". OPs on statements here have said that, their parents bought them the car, and their parents also scheduled a covid vaccine for the OP in such a far, inconvenient place that OP felt they needed to create (2) separate threads complaining about it / asking for alternatives.

Its projecting a bit, sure, but I dont think the OP makes that many decisions on their own. I think that, either their parents make the decision for them, or they go "online" to basically get others to make the decision for them after they ask about it.

This same username (with same posting style) was also a poster on the BMW boards I frequented for a few years. Obviously same posting style and user name doesnt mean same person, but its similar enough that it feels like the same person to me.

Anyway, I agree with you 100% that not only is that dangerous for OP, but for people that OP was on the road with, but this OP didnt think about tires until the service center told them "you need new tires" when they had a 12V battery issue and had the car taken there. At some point, hopefully, they start taking responsibility of critical things like this for themselves.
Used to be on the BMW boards, but I wasn't really into the BMW M3. Wasn't a great commuter car. Also seems cops discriminate against orange M3s since I used to drive a BMW Lime Rock Edition. I much prefer the way the Tesla Model 3 drives, and it has autopilot, so don't even need to worry about driving fatigue on long trips.

Tesla Model 3 is a good commuter car, but still can go fast when you want it to. And it never has to stop for a gas station which means more time driving. The one time I did get pulled over, the first 10 minutes after leaving the "Tesla dealership", the cop was nice to give me a warning, mainly because I was testing the acceleration, but not going over the speed limit. Maybe cops see Tesla Model 3 as law abiding cars over BMW M3 & only look out for gear head type cars, so that's a plus.

No Fing way you were driving on those tires.... hahaha

After Costco tire took them off, the guy showed me I was riding with a nail in one of the bald tires. I must have drove outta state with these bald tires from OC to Las Vegas & Phoenix AZ, during the pandemic so I could play at arcades.

But I went with Michelin Pilot Sport AS4. Costco has a $150 off deal going on them until May. Their labor seemed cheaper too. So far, I like them, they seem more sporty and its lack of foam doesn't bother me, it seems quiet enough.

I tried American Tire Depot which I thought had the best tire deal (Buy 3, 1 free & $150 or $75 rebate). But their labor was high and their great deal Good Year tire was going to end up costing more than Michelins. So it made sense to pay $813 for Michelin Pilot Sports AS4 at Costco instead of $970 for Good Years at Am Tire Depot.

After Costco tire took them off, the guy showed me I was riding with a nail in one of the bald tires. I must have drove outta state with these bald tires from OC to Las Vegas & Phoenix AZ, during the pandemic so I could play at arcades.

But I went with Michelin Pilot Sport AS4. Costco has a $150 off deal going on them until May. Their labor seemed cheaper too. So far, I like them, they seem more sporty and its lack of foam doesn't bother me, it seems quiet enough.

I tried American Tire Depot which I thought had the best tire deal (Buy 3, 1 free & $150 or $75 rebate). But their labor was high and their great deal Good Year tire was going to end up costing more than Michelins. So it made sense to pay $813 for Michelin Pilot Sports AS4 at Costco instead of $970 for Good Years at Am Tire Depot.
Far more likely to have nails in bald tires, than one with full tread. All the more reason not to drive around with bald tires. A blowout at speed … well, I think we know what can happen.

Summer tires/tyres:
Has anyone tried the Continental Sport Contact 6? I just came across this review and it seems like a pretty good tire in terms of being road and track/performance driving balanced :0

(Low noise and rolling resistance while having good handling and braking characteristics in the wet/dry - at least compared to the other performance tires on the list including the Michelin PS4S!)

Looks like this is the thread now for tires. I'm researching a set for autocross use on my upcoming M3P. I'm looking to be in the stock classes for now, so no suspension mods. I'll run the car stock, with the exception of wheels and tires. From what I can tell, there are there top contenders in the class:

-Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R (seems to be the go-to autocross tire)
-Falken Azenis RT660 (fairly new tire, potentially a bit better than the RE-71R, slightly less expsnsive)
-Yokohama Advan A052 (I have not seen a ton of review for autocross, but seems to be on top for track)

To minimize unsprung weight, I'm looking to use 18" wheels. Current wheels of interest are the Fast FC04 or FC06. They're reasonably light (18-19 lbs) and reasonably priced, and the company is a domestic Canadian company, which is nice. But this is about tires, not wheels :)

When you combine tire size availability of those top three tires with the 18" wheel restriction, I appear to have the following choices:
  • 235/45R18: Potenza RE-71R* and Advan A052
  • 245/45R18: Potenza RE-71R
  • 255/40R18: Potenza RE-71R* and Azenis RT660
* Does not meet OEM load rating in this size.

Right now, I'm leaning towards the Falken RT660 in 255/40R18. It is priced competitively, meets the load rating and that size results in a 1.8% reduction in tire circumference over the stock 20s, which should give provide a (very slight) overall gear reduction for slightly more torque and acceleration at low speeds, which is what autocross in a Tesla is about from what I can tell.

What are your views on this? Does my reasoning make sense? Thanks in advance!

Looks like this is the thread now for tires. I'm researching a set for autocross use on my upcoming M3P. I'm looking to be in the stock classes for now, so no suspension mods. I'll run the car stock, with the exception of wheels and tires. From what I can tell, there are there top contenders in the class:

-Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R (seems to be the go-to autocross tire)
-Falken Azenis RT660 (fairly new tire, potentially a bit better than the RE-71R, slightly less expsnsive)
-Yokohama Advan A052 (I have not seen a ton of review for autocross, but seems to be on top for track)

To minimize unsprung weight, I'm looking to use 18" wheels. Current wheels of interest are the Fast FC04 or FC06. They're reasonably light (18-19 lbs) and reasonably priced, and the company is a domestic Canadian company, which is nice. But this is about tires, not wheels :)

When you combine tire size availability of those top three tires with the 18" wheel restriction, I appear to have the following choices:
  • 235/45R18: Potenza RE-71R* and Advan A052
  • 245/45R18: Potenza RE-71R
  • 255/40R18: Potenza RE-71R* and Azenis RT660
* Does not meet OEM load rating in this size.

Right now, I'm leaning towards the Falken RT660 in 255/40R18. It is priced competitively, meets the load rating and that size results in a 1.8% reduction in tire circumference over the stock 20s, which should give provide a (very slight) overall gear reduction for slightly more torque and acceleration at low speeds, which is what autocross in a Tesla is about from what I can tell.

What are your views on this? Does my reasoning make sense? Thanks in advance!
Stock class is +/- 1" wheel diameter so you should be looking at 19's...
You can do one sway bar, do the rear for help with the understeer, it makes a world of difference.
Skip the Yoks, they are only good for cambered cars as the shoulders rip apart.
RE-71R was the gold standard for the longest but now they are dropped soooo idk.
No experience with RT660 but it is one of the few other options.
I went with SUR4G because I got them cheap AF compared to others and they have solid reviews for a 200 tread, also there is always a couple cars at SCCA Nats with them so they cant be that bad haha.

I think you can fit 275 with stock suspension. Like 275x35x19. And you can drill top mounts holes a bit more to get more camber without suspension change. A052 doesn't really have much shoulder, so I don't know why it will be damaged with -1.5f -2.0r, but it's an actual racing compound, so it won't live long.

I think you can fit 275 with stock suspension. Like 275x35x19. And you can drill top mounts holes a bit more to get more camber without suspension change. A052 doesn't really have much shoulder, so I don't know why it will be damaged with -1.5f -2.0r, but it's an actual racing compound, so it won't live long.
I think the previous poster meant that without additional camber, the A052 are not a good choice.

A052 is the tire to win in Solo Nats. Its just better when it comes to concrete. Asphalt is better but the gap shrinks. But you will kill shoulders without camber so its a bit of a shame to run.

RT660 is basically the new RE71r but some local folks (national champion drivers) have claimed it to be useless when Sub-50deg and wet. Others have had good success when warmer but wet. RE71 has been pretty good both dry and wet, warm and cold. But doesnt touch the A052 in either condition.

For the tesla, I got 265 RE71 because it only have -1.2deg of camber currently. Once we burn up this set I'll bump up to a 295 A052 and more camber.

looking at getting a new set of tires (235/40R19)
this month due to a nail in the sidewall/edge of the tires and 35K on them.
looks like the top tires everyone are talking about are the PILOT SPORT 4S PURECONTACT LS PRIMACY MXM4
looking at the specs of the tires and what people are saying about the reduction of range i notice the Pilot sport 4S seems to be wider (.4" ) then the other 2 tires. i wonder how much of an effect does this have on range??

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    45.9 KB · Views: 84
Looking into a staggered 20" set for summer and turning the ubers into winter wheels. Has anyone seen a wider version of the Pirelli Pzero Electro?

Option A) Use 235 Pirellis on front and run 275/30/20 Pirelli PZero PZ4 SC 97Y XL AO, PNCS rear.
Option B) Sell Pirellis and get Tesla spec 235 and 275 Michelins.

no rubbing issues at all on any of the control arms. the 255/35/20 are basically a "stock" looking set up. I did a ton of research, and they are the sweet spot for these 9" rims. I really like the rims. The tires change the entire look of the car (for the better of course). make sure to set the tire set up in the wheel configurator to the track wheel designation as those rims have 245's as stock. This way the onboard computer system won't notice the difference in rotating circumference from to 26.8" to 27". And with tread wear, you will basically "wear-down tread rubber" into the range spec of the track package set up with the 245's. Highly recommend the Michelin PS4S.
64.1 center bore with +34 offset. There is another thread that covers this for the stock Uberturbine's but I am pretty sure this is accurate.
I swapped OEM Pirelli PZero 235 to Michelin PS4S 255. They look good, but… I can’t accept the noise. Even at low speeds I hear much more rolling sound then OEM tires. On high speeds it gets worse, 5 hour trip got me very tired. I bought generic Michelin, no Accoustic inserts.

Could be pressure the issue? I left tire service with 44psi, then deflated it to 42. I plan to try 38-40 but if this will not solve my Issue I’m going to swap OEM pirelli back.

Any hints appreciated.

• Informative
Reactions: play150 and OzBMR
I have a 2018 Model 3 long range AWD. currently have 19k miles on it and tires almost worn out. Have the 19" inch tesla wheels. Currently on the OEM continental 235/40R19 96W XL. Looking to replace them , maybe with Michelin Primacy MXM4's. Anyone that changed this have any feedback on road noise, and how bad is it, or any other tire options you were pleased with.

I swapped OEM Pirelli PZero 235 to Michelin PS4S 255. They look good, but… I can’t accept the noise. Even at low speeds I hear much more rolling sound then OEM tires. On high speeds it gets worse, 5 hour trip got me very tired. I bought generic Michelin, no Accoustic inserts.

Could be pressure the issue? I left tire service with 44psi, then deflated it to 42. I plan to try 38-40 but if this will not solve my Issue I’m going to swap OEM pirelli back.

Any hints appreciated.
Im about to just get some concert ear plugs. My soon to have 255s are probably going to be too loud too...

Different then average request:
Is there a quiet (quieter then stock 18?s), good range tire that is relatively inexpensive (least important)? I live in Arizona so summer tires are fine, and I'm not terribly worried about performance in the wet... Thanks!

Road noise is driving me insane and most of my driving is commuting on the highway at 70mph...