Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Tires, Tire Sizes, Types, make / model recommendations, tire discussions, etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I need snow tires for my new Model 3 in Vermont. Tesla's website shows all winter packages out of stock, with no information about when they might be available. (I'm a bit surprised, since global car production is currently limited by chip availability, I'd expect tire capacity to be underutilized right now.)

Does anyone have info from Tesla on when their tire packages might become available? (I tried calling the store I bought my car from and the phone tree just puts me in an infinite loop.) Alternatively, does anyone know what other wheels/tires are compatible?
There have been news stories that there are supply chain issues with tires as well. Various auto parts have been affected by recent supply problems, not just computer chips.

Just picked up a 2021 M3 Performance w/ the Uberturbine wheels. Looking to replace the P-Zero 235/35/20, they look stretched and way too thin to daily especially in the city.

Looking for input whether if I can swap it out to these sizes without having any rubbing issues.
1. 245/45/20
2. 245/40/20

Seems like 45 sidewall could fit just from eyeing it but I'm not sure if it'll rub the suspension.

I'm new to this platform, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Got Pilot Sport 4 18" on my model 3 performance but they cause too much noise, wear way too quickly and I do not really need the performance. I will probably need new tires in the next couple of months so I was going to get the Primacy 4s instead. However, more recently the e.primacys cought my eye.

How different are they to the normal Primacy 4s? How much more fuel efficient are they? How is the braking distance?

Just picked up a 2021 M3 Performance w/ the Uberturbine wheels. Looking to replace the P-Zero 235/35/20, they look stretched and way too thin to daily especially in the city.

Looking for input whether if I can swap it out to these sizes without having any rubbing issues.
1. 245/45/20
2. 245/40/20

Seems like 45 sidewall could fit just from eyeing it but I'm not sure if it'll rub the suspension.

I'm new to this platform, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Both of those are too tall and will rub on the knuckle (and cause issues with the electronics). You need 35 series. 245/35/20 or 255/35/20.

If you need more sidewall than that, you’ll need 18” or 19” wheels. Note that not all 18” wheels (including Tesla’s own) will clear the front calipers on the M3P.

Reactions: xPETEx and nj1266
Both of those are too tall and will rub on the knuckle (and cause issues with the electronics). You need 35 series. 245/35/20 or 255/35/20.

If you need more sidewall than that, you’ll need 18” or 19” wheels.
Thank you! been reading through 27 pages of these threads and just realize it. Also saw some of your recommendations from previous post, so I've decided to go with 255/35/20 on the OEM 20' Uberturbine.

Quick question, do you think I will have clearance issues with?

Yokohama ADVAN Sport A/S Plus - 255/35R20 - Diameter of 27.1"​

I know you said you keep it at 27" or below. But I got these tires for free brand new and would def like to put it to use.

Reactions: anjapower
Thank you! been reading through 27 pages of these threads and just realize it. Also saw some of your recommendations from previous post, so I've decided to go with 255/35/20 on the OEM 20' Uberturbine.

Quick question, do you think I will have clearance issues with?

Yokohama ADVAN Sport A/S Plus - 255/35R20 - Diameter of 27.1"​

I know you said you keep it at 27" or below. But I got these tires for free brand new and would def like to put it to use.
I think it’s going to be close, especially with the stock M3P’s offset; if you have them anyway, you can try having one mounted and bolt it up. If it’s too close, you could have a couple mm shaved from the fronts if you have a shop that can do it. The rears will wear faster and even it out.

I think it’s going to be close, especially with the stock M3P’s offset; if you have them anyway, you can try having one mounted and bolt it up. If it’s too close, you could have a couple mm shaved from the fronts if you have a shop that can do it. The rears will wear faster and even it out.
Okay! I'm going to try this out. I just wasn't sure how much of a difference would 0.1" make in terms of clearance.

Hello,

my 2018 model 3 came with MICHELIN A/S GREEN X 235/45R18.

Is that specific model considered the best choice for Model 3?
Could you recommend some tire maker/model that would be good replacement, if I cannot find the exact one as the originals?

Thank you.

Hello,

my 2018 model 3 came with MICHELIN A/S GREEN X 235/45R18.

Is that specific model considered the best choice for Model 3?
Could you recommend some tire maker/model that would be good replacement, if I cannot find the exact one as the originals?

Thank you.
Similar question. I have a 18 M3 AWD that came with Michelin primacy MXM4. I'd like to get something a little longer life this time around but don't want to sacrifice range.

Tire rack finds tons of choices: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/

I just replaced the tires on my 2019 m3 awd R18 with "Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 Plus" and they seem fine. This replaces the (more expensive and hard to find) original "Michelin Primacy MXM4 AC". Spouse thinks "Continental" is a cheesy brand. Spouse also thinks I should have called the tire place(s) for suggestions...

My goal was all season comfort and low noise. For others it is handling, good in winter, good in summer, etc. Oh, and price. YMMV.

I am not close to having to change my tires yet but I’ve done a lot of research on it as I was curious. It seems Discount Tire is the consensus best option from most people on here as they know how to work on Tesla‘s. I’m thinking about getting the Continental DWS 04 or DWS 04 Plus when I change my tires. Best treadwear warranty and price combo that I have found.

Ironically, the Michelin Crossclimate 2’s have a *Michelin tested* B traction rating which is pretty bad and also hilarious. Otherwise, the price and treadwear warranty combo is pretty darn good. A lot of people like the Michelin PS4 all seasons but the price and treadwear warranty combo doesn’t beat the Continentals for me. Haven’t heard much on this forum about the Michelin Primacy Tour all seasons much, but am curious about them

I've had numerous cars over the years ranging from Camrys to a Mazda 3s to a Jetta Sportwagen TDI to an Audi A4 to Outback Limited. I'm by no means a "corner carver" and just simply drive from Point A to Point B. Although I've only got about 2200 miles on my SR+, I was checking out tire options for when that time [eventually] comes.

With my previous cars, I've ALWAYS gone with the cheapest tires with good overall reviews (and brands that I've used in the past) with good results. Given my usage patterns, I've never really noticed much (if any) handling/performance/efficiency hit compared to what came with the cars stock. I've had good luck with Hancook, Barum, and Sentury on previous cars (our Subaru is currently running Sentury all-season tires).

I know that the Model 3 is a bit different as it comes from the factory with low rolling resistance tires (I have the 18 inch wheels). So I was wondering for any of you SR+ owners out there that have gone with cheaper, non OEM 18-inch all-season tires, what kind of ride/efficiency hit (if any) have you taken with the switch?

I can get Sentury or Milestar 40,000 mile A/S tires for $83 and $91 respectively. The OEM Michelin MXM4 tires around $240/each IIRC.

I am not close to having to change my tires yet but I’ve done a lot of research on it as I was curious. It seems Discount Tire is the consensus best option from most people on here as they know how to work on Tesla‘s. I’m thinking about getting the Continental DWS 04 or DWS 04 Plus when I change my tires. Best treadwear warranty and price combo that I have found.

Ironically, the Michelin Crossclimate 2’s have a *Michelin tested* B traction rating which is pretty bad and also hilarious. Otherwise, the price and treadwear warranty combo is pretty darn good. A lot of people like the Michelin PS4 all seasons but the price and treadwear warranty combo doesn’t beat the Continentals for me. Haven’t heard much on this forum about the Michelin Primacy Tour all seasons much, but am curious about them
I heard on Engineering Explained's Crossclimate 2 video that the B traction rating is because of the way traction is tested (static tire dragged across the ground iirc?), and that the actual traction is better.

Reactions: Jeremy3292
I've had numerous cars over the years ranging from Camrys to a Mazda 3s to a Jetta Sportwagen TDI to an Audi A4 to Outback Limited. I'm by no means a "corner carver" and just simply drive from Point A to Point B. Although I've only got about 2200 miles on my SR+, I was checking out tire options for when that time [eventually] comes.

With my previous cars, I've ALWAYS gone with the cheapest tires with good overall reviews (and brands that I've used in the past) with good results. Given my usage patterns, I've never really noticed much (if any) handling/performance/efficiency hit compared to what came with the cars stock. I've had good luck with Hancook, Barum, and Sentury on previous cars (our Subaru is currently running Sentury all-season tires).

I know that the Model 3 is a bit different as it comes from the factory with low rolling resistance tires (I have the 18 inch wheels). So I was wondering for any of you SR+ owners out there that have gone with cheaper, non OEM 18-inch all-season tires, what kind of ride/efficiency hit (if any) have you taken with the switch?

I can get Sentury or Milestar 40,000 mile A/S tires for $83 and $91 respectively. The OEM Michelin MXM4 tires around $240/each IIRC.
My understanding is that you will take a hit on efficiency regardless of what tires you choose as they are new tires. The stock Michelin‘s are basically “worn” from the factory so they get better efficiency ratings, which is why they don’t last very long. You’ll actually get better efficiency ratings once your new tires wear down.

Reactions: Macb00kemdanno
My understanding is that you will take a hit on efficiency regardless of what tires you choose as they are new tires. The stock Michelin‘s are basically “worn” from the factory so they get better efficiency ratings, which is why they don’t last very long. You’ll actually get better efficiency ratings once your new tires wear down.
Interesting, that's the first I've heard of that (granted, I haven't read ALL the way through this long-ass thread yet :p). So I guess I'd be good going with el cheapo tires?

Interesting, that's the first I've heard of that (granted, I haven't read ALL the way through this long-ass thread yet :p). So I guess I'd be good going with el cheapo tires?
There are no A/S EV specific tires on the market today. So some tires may be better than others but it’s hard to say which ones those are. You can read all of the anecdotal threads on here from owners about efficiency losses with their X Y and Z type of new tires. But it’s a fools errand IMO. Buy whatever tires fit your budget and make you feel comfortable.

Reactions: Macb00kemdanno
I heard on Engineering Explained's Crossclimate 2 video that the B traction rating is because of the way traction is tested (static tire dragged across the ground iirc?), and that the actual traction is better.
Thanks for the good info as I just watched that video on YouTube. Upon further review it appears the traction rating is not an issue, but it seems you will take a major hit on efficiency as they are not anywhere close to low rolling resistance. As I live in the southeast I really don’t need the additional snow performance either. Back to the drawing board!

Thanks for the good info as I just watched that video on YouTube. Upon further review it appears the traction rating is not an issue, but it seems you will take a major hit on efficiency as they are not anywhere close to low rolling resistance. As I live in the southeast I really don’t need the additional snow performance either. Back to the drawing board!
I'm debating between the Crossclimate 2s and the Pilot All Season Sport 4s for winter here since it doesn't snow 24/7 here! CC2s for better snow performance or AS4s for better performance when it's dry.

I really like scouring through the data (i.e tests for braking distances, rolling resistance, noise, handling performance etc) on tyrereviews.com

Reactions: Jeremy3292
I'm debating between the Crossclimate 2s and the Pilot All Season Sport 4s for winter here since it doesn't snow 24/7 here! CC2s for better snow performance or AS4s for better performance when it's dry.

I really like scouring through the data (i.e tests for braking distances, rolling resistance, noise, handling performance etc) on tyrereviews.com
Seems the CrossClimate 2's are the All Season winner per that website.