Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 to get Hankook Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is anyone able to report on how they stand up to rain, standing water on freeways and deep, sharp potholes?
No. Each manufacturer produces tires that vary in performance, such as what you asked about. The characteristics of the tire will depend on which specific tire model Tesla chooses.

It's also possible that Tesla will have Hankook modifiy a tire to Tesla's desired specifications. This could be for size, rolling resistence, noise level, or any number of different characteristics.

So we can't really say anything specific about the tire at this point.

FYI
tumblr_inline_nl77soUna71tpmq23.jpg
Rainbow_Samsung_Logo.PNG
View attachment 176695
I enjoy kumho tires too. But they fall into the higher priced tires usually

Hmm - not sure how I feel about this. Rightly or wrongly, I think of Hankook as a non-premium tyre, not up there with the likes of Michelin and Goodyear (which I have used for the last 15 years). However, if they are creating a tyre specifically for the M3 with low rolling resistance and noise, then I'm sure it will be well suited to the car and what it can do.

Hell NO. I do not want Hankooks on my car I have had Hankook touring tyres before and they are great and competitive with the other brands when new, It is when they start wearing down to below 50% life that they really get bad quick. Maybe Hankooks have gotten better in the last 5 years since I had them(I have had 2 sets before), but they get loud, ride hard, and lose grip fast. Give me a good set of Goodyears, Continentals, or Michelin's.............

Maybe this will offend some folks, but I don't really care what brand of tire they put on. I find the style/model of the tire to be much more important than the manufacturer and we don't have any model specifics at this point.

Let's face it. Unless you have a race track in your backyard, there are relatively few places where you take advantage of the 'sticky', high-priced, performance tires. The OEM Michelins that came on the Lexus LS had a very, very low thread ware ratings and were finished at 20,000 miles. My wife and I drive at 70 or less almost 100% of the time. The Hankooks we switched to had a high tread ware rating and were more than high-speed rated. They also came with a very good warranty. They now have over 30,000 miles on them and look good for at least another 10,000 miles.

The OEM Toyos on the Prius look like they'll see 40,000 miles as well but I don't know how expensive they are to replace.

Hankooks were the recommended snow tire for the Roadster...I never had any issue with them...I would not use all season tires on a performance vehicle.
I had Continental DWS on my Audi S5 for 2+ years, and they were amazing, I even attended a "novice" track event and had no issue with them. However, I eventually got a separate set of summer wheels/tires.

I'm not complaining. Trying to keep costs down so i don't mind an average tire. If it ends up terrible and wears out quickly, just replace it with what you want.

Pretty sure they will have some nicer tire on the upgraded wheel packages. $4500 for the S definitely isnt just wheels.

I would be curious to know what the standard MS tire is compared to the tires they install with the $4,500 upgraded wheel package. Top of the line Michelins were standard on the Lexus LS430. Couldn't imagine too much better on a $65,000 car (back in 2006).

According to this, they are continentals.

Tesla — 21" Turbine Wheel and Tire Package - Grey

Not to mention there have been tons of model s owner complaints of premature tire wear at low mileage.

If it's the same on a model 3 I'll just keep it to the cheaper longer wearing all seasons for me