TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3 Trunk Issues

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by tanner, Apr 1, 2018.

Tags:
  1. tanner

tanner Active Member

I love EVERYTHING about my model 3, except the trunk... seriously, it’s awful. I don’t know if it’s just my M3, or if everyone is experiencing this, but I have to SLAM the trunk SO HARD for it to actually close. I had to try 3 times last night to get the car to register that it was fully closed. It seems more like a hardware issue than a software issue though, as it does remain slightly ajar unless it’s (very) firmly slammed. I have to hold the license plate frame down when I close it because the damn thing rattles against the paint so loud that I’m worried it scratches it. Anyone else have similar issues?

• Like x 1
  2. Jsvette56

Jsvette56 Member

I've had my M3 since December and have had no problems latching the trunk. I do wish it was electrically operated though.

I suggest having the service center adjust the latch.

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 1
  3. novox77

novox77 1.21 Gigawatts

there are also two rubber stops on the underside of the trunk lid, one on each side. you might want to screw them in all the way to see if that helps first. If not, then it might require a service center visit. No issue closing trunk here.

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
  4. tanner

tanner Active Member

Thanks, guys! She's already going in Tuesday for several scratches I noticed when picking her up yesterday. I'll have them take a look

• Like x 1
  5. seattlite2004

seattlite2004 Active Member

@0:50....someone made a vid of this "feature" as well as other "features":

• Informative x 1
  6. cellogig

cellogig Model X..Model 3

Sorry ur having problems with ur trunk.

I find closing it similar to the hatch on my vw gti. It takes a little effort. I have no problems after three years of constant usage. I put my cello in the back of the car on a daily basis.

I like the weight on the trunk. I remember some Japanese makers trunks were to light in weight and would fly open on a windy day.

7. tanner

tanner Active Member

Yeah, it definitely takes a very hard slam to close it currently on mine.

• Like x 1
  8. PoitNarf

PoitNarf My dog's breath smells like dog food

Takes a just a little bit more effort than the trunk on my Mustang did. I'm sure I'll get used to it.

• Like x 1
  9. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

#9 cwerdna, Apr 3, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    Regarding the issues you, the OP and the videographer reported, I wonder if the force required to close the doors and trunk are actually within intended spec at the factory. Or, if it's a case of some actual production issue.

I watched a copy of this video AGES ago and as I posted elsewhere, I initially thought it was dumb to bother with this: .
    But then it occurred to me that if they didn't measure this and apply the same principles to other parts of manufacturing and quality control, an automaker could have many annoyed customers and potentially incur huge warranty costs, blowing the profit for a vehicle and/or the company. (And just as a reminder, Tesla has yet to have a single profitable year. For 2017, they lost over $2 billion and for Q4 2017 alone, it was over $670 million. This doesn't include cash burn for items such as capital expenditures.)

And those annoyances can add up and could spread by worth of mouth, social media, traditional media, etc. and lead to low customer satisfaction.

Also, note how much force the worker is using to close the door.

If you want to watch less of the video, watch about 1:20 to ~3:11 and 4:40 to 6:15. Optional: 3:11 to 4:03. And, for those watching on computers, you can always click the gear icon to adjust the playback speed.

10. tanner

tanner Active Member

To the point of losing money, I will agree with you there... My car came with several issues: a number of scratches on the paint, chucks out of the faux leather on one of the door panels, scratches on several plastic parts inside, etc. They will have to fix all of that, including the trunk and some rattling noises I picked up on.

• Like x 1
  11. rhaekar

rhaekar Member

I've got to slam my trunk pretty hard too. I tried to adjust those stoppers but it didn't do anything.

12. tanner

tanner Active Member

Time to take her into service :D

13. Skidmark

Skidmark Member

I find it difficult to close because of the hydraulic springs that hold it open. Once I get the trunk lowered to the point where I can get the leverage on the top of the trunk, the closing part is pretty easy for me.

14. buddhra

buddhra Member

#14 buddhra, Apr 3, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    I agree. I feel like the lift struts apply force for too long. On most vehicles they seem to hold strong when the trunk is fully open, barely hold when it is halfway closed, then let it drop past that. The 3 feels like they're still pushing when it is almost closed.

Perhaps a different, maybe shorter or less powerful, strut would work better?

Edit: The struts are:

Stabilus
    Lift-O-Mat
    300455 0580N 010/18 C 3M
    1091560-00-B

[​IMG]

• Like x 1
  15. itskv

itskv Member

83E01C0C-6B83-46C6-9083-AC05AC705894.jpeg My trunk is pretty stiff when closing. I also noticed the trunk supports seem to “hit” the rear windshield seals..

• Informative x 2
  16. geometro

geometro Member

That’s definitely not good and can’t be the intended design.

• Like x 2
  17. itskv

itskv Member

I will be bringing it in soon and see what they say.

18. Msjulie

Msjulie Active Member

I wonder if there is some adjustments for this, I find pulling down from the inside driver's side grab handle to close is not that big a deal.. I give it a tug and it's closed 99/100 times w/o extra fuss

19. ChrisH

ChrisH Active Member

Yeah that does not look right at all. You must not live somewhere it rains much. I would be taking that in immediately lol

20. Skidmark

Skidmark Member

Maybe disconnecting one of the two struts could work too.