Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3: Turn Signals... ARGH!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First of all, congratulations! Hope you're enjoying your Model 3 so far!

ACK. Least the important stuff (i.e., paint, gaps, etc.) is good. That stuff is a lot harder to get fixed, if not impossible unless you reject delivery. — Are you going to schedule service to see if they can troubleshoot and possibly replace your stalk?

Yes but I have XPEL PPF and Ceramic Pro install to do first. I drop it off tomorrow morning then probably get it back in 2 or three days. I'll call service after that.

Not related to this thread but I test drove the RWD originally and ordered the AWD. Regen is better and even though it was raining the car was like a rocket with the aero wheels. I expected some slippage etc and couldn't get any.

Well, today I could not get the turn signal to malfunction a single time. The exact opposite of yesterday. I have to admit I forced it up really hard the first time I tried.
Exactly same here... once I got used to pressing up or down fully I'm good to go. I come from the BMW world of when I feel the resistance point I would release the pressure... I think that's the key is pressing up or down "fully" in the Tesla. All is well for me!

Had service today- it took them installing 3 stalk modules before they got one that worked correctly!!!
They now know that they have a problem...
The install is remove steering wheel, unplug module, plug in new module, replace wheel, reinstall firmware. Takes a bit more than an hour...unless you count having to do it 3 times!
My specific issue was no “triple flash” position on left turn- only “continuous flash”...but I think all of our issues are traceable to the same component...

FWIW, S driver here with a Turo-rented Model 3 and I “got” the 3 turn signal in about an hour or so, so unless I’m unusually coordinated (hint: I’m not) it shouldn’t be THAT finicky to operate if it’s working properly.

That plus the AutoPilot engagement (using the right stalk) were features I missed on the S after driving the 3 for a week.

Reactions: neroden
FYI, the actuation and behavior of the stalk / turn signals is exactly the same as on my BMW so fortunately for me, it's taken no time at all to get acclimated. Pro tip: To deactivate a turn signal, you can push the stalk in either direction (i.e., opposite of the turn signal or in the same direction as the turn signal.

For whatever reason I can’t get the 3 successive turn signal flashes to work for left or right turns. The continuous signal for left and right turns isn’t an issue. If I light press up or down on the turn signal stalk the turn signals do come on but not 3 times. I have to hold the stalk in an up or down position manually.

read the thread, C141 - you've probably got the same broken stalk module that has been haunting us...unless you haven't realized that there is a half-stop on the lever that is the "3 flash" stop....you can feel it when you press the lever...
I’ve read the entire thread. I’m pretty sure I’ve felt the halfway point right before the full up or down press. If that’s the case, this really sucks and I get to add this (and off center steering wheel) to my list of issues I was presented with at delivery only two days ago. I’ve already scheduled an appointment at the SC for next week.

Just an update as the OP:

3x1xnQR.png

Turns out... A "high percentage" of the turn signal stalks they have been using to replace defective ones are... also defective. Also, a lot of people have been reporting similar issues as mine at the local SC.

C141 - Welcome to the tesla posse...you'll get used to having some issues and not getting things that were promised...but it is worth it. They are victims of their own success and will catch up at some point...just hope that they have a couple of stalk modules in stock so that they can find one that works, for you....took three tries for me...

re the steering wheel, that is a standard thing, they tell me (I had it), there is only one position for the wheel to go on (it isn't a spline like normal wheels) and it is connected through a neural network that learns as it goes (even supposed to compensate for torque due to road crown angle) - mine has improved substantially since I got it....and good or bad, when they give you a new stalk module, it will have to learn all over again...

C141 - Welcome to the tesla posse...you'll get used to having some issues and not getting things that were promised...but it is worth it. They are victims of their own success and will catch up at some point...just hope that they have a couple of stalk modules in stock so that they can find one that works, for you....took three tries for me...

re the steering wheel, that is a standard thing, they tell me (I had it), there is only one position for the wheel to go on (it isn't a spline like normal wheels) and it is connected through a neural network that learns as it goes (even supposed to compensate for torque due to road crown angle) - mine has improved substantially since I got it....and good or bad, when they give you a new stalk module, it will have to learn all over again...
Thanks. I LOVE the car and the 100 miles I’ve driven so far have been pure fun. I’m confident things will be fixed but still frustrating that I have to bring a 2 day old car back for body and paint work and perhaps now replacement of a stalk. As far as the steering wheel I’ve read in other threads that the steering wheels were actually taken off and readjusted.

Hmm...I wonder about "taken off and readjusted", or whether that was just the layman's explanation of resetting the neural network to relearn the steering angle, which might involve dismounting the wheel so that they can get at the stalk module (the wheel has to come off to replace that module)...my guys were pretty clear when I pushed on it with them that there was only one way the wheel went on...since it is drive-by-wire, the mounting angle doesn't necessarily determine anything about how it operates...send me a link to one of those threads if it is easy for you to re-access, but no big deal either way...

Hmm...I wonder about "taken off and readjusted", or whether that was just the layman's explanation of resetting the neural network to relearn the steering angle, which might involve dismounting the wheel so that they can get at the stalk module (the wheel has to come off to replace that module)...my guys were pretty clear when I pushed on it with them that there was only one way the wheel went on...since it is drive-by-wire, the mounting angle doesn't necessarily determine anything about how it operates...send me a link to one of those threads if it is easy for you to re-access, but no big deal either way...
Tesla Model 3 Steering Wheel not centre on delivery

• Informative
C141- khoa64 (last post) from your linked thread says exactly what I was told. Much of the other answers are just people parroting what they know from other , conventional cars....
Alignment, of course, does need to be right, so that is a possible issue that the neural net can’t fix