Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3: Turn Signals... ARGH!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve read the entire thread. I’m pretty sure I’ve felt the halfway point right before the full up or down press. If that’s the case, this really sucks and I get to add this (and off center steering wheel) to my list of issues I was presented with at delivery only two days ago. I’ve already scheduled an appointment at the SC for next week.
It's also possible you're holding the stalk too long. If you hold it, it'll signal until you release it, even if that's less than 3 blinks.

Reactions: RTPEV and favo
Mine is messed up cannot get a single flash on left turn now and is very difficult to get a three flash. Not only most of the time it stays on continuous left flashing it often doesn't go off after making a 90 degree left turn. I originally thought the right turn was bad when in fact it was the left turn being messed up.

Hmm....well, Itsnotabout the $, triple flash is nice for changing lanes or other places where the auto-off wouldn't be activated, saves you having to remember to turn the signal off...and sometimes, with the radio loud and sun bright, that pesky little bugger can just go on flashing for a while...

Others- it seems that there are a number of issues with the stalk control module, so if you are sure you are using it correctly (you truly understand momentary/continuous, half stop vs. full stop) it is worth a visit to service....

Hmm....well, Itsnotabout the $, triple flash is nice for changing lanes or other places where the auto-off wouldn't be activated, saves you having to remember to turn the signal off...and sometimes, with the radio loud and sun bright, that pesky little bugger can just go on flashing for a while...

If that's the idea, it's a design failure -- three flashes is not enough to safely execute a lane change or any similar maneuver I can think of, even at the slowest legal flash rate (1 Hz).

• Disagree
Reactions: voip-ninja
My service center says it may be software, but they're replacing the entire steering column(!!), that seems a bit excessive but that's what
This is very strange. I just upgraded to the new firmware and now my 3 flash turn signal series works. Don’t know if it was user error before or not but coincidentally after the new update all is well. 2018.36.2 FW
Mine still doesn't work

If that's the idea, it's a design failure -- three flashes is not enough to safely execute a lane change or any similar maneuver I can think of, even at the slowest legal flash rate (1 Hz).
Three blinks seems to be industry standard. It might be nice to have the option to change it to some other # like 5.

I actually like the Tesla turn signal implementation and find it easy to use. Up until the Model 3, I never had anything but the standard mechanically locking turn signal and never had 3 blinks for lane change functionality.

Reactions: voip-ninja
Three blinks seems to be industry standard. It might be nice to have the option to change it to some other # like 5.

I actually like the Tesla turn signal implementation and find it easy to use. Up until the Model 3, I never had anything but the standard mechanically locking turn signal and never had 3 blinks for lane change functionality.

I agree that the three blinks for lane change is nice. My other car has it too. Keeps you from forgetting to turn the blinker off. I do wish also that it was longer because three is too short to execute a safe textbook lane change and I find myself just holding the stalk down or up halfway through the lane change anyway. I haven't had any issues with any of the blinker controls in the car, except that it took a few days of learning how to press down on the stalk without accidentally pressing the windshield wiper button.

Mine only gives the three blinks if I push up half-way on the stalk. Down half-way gives me a continuous left and the left blinker does not automatically turn off when making left turns. There is definitely something wrong with the stalk assembly as we had a Mini with a similar style turn signal so we are familiar how to use them. I called to request a Mobile Ranger and they ordered the part and will have the Ranger come out to the house to fix it when its available.

Mine only gives the three blinks if I push up half-way on the stalk. Down half-way gives me a continuous left and the left blinker does not automatically turn off when making left turns. There is definitely something wrong with the stalk assembly as we had a Mini with a similar style turn signal so we are familiar how to use them. I called to request a Mobile Ranger and they ordered the part and will have the Ranger come out to the house to fix it when its available.
Exactly what I have. I made an appointment but I'll call and see if a ranger can do mine as well. My VIN is 965xx. Is yours close to that?

No it isn't. A turn signal isn't there to tell people you're maneuvering, it's there to tell people that you intend to maneuver and that you're maneuvering (rather than driving badly). You shouldn't even make the maneuver until your signal has been on for 2 seconds in order to allow for reaction time of other drivers. By that time, 3 flashes would be done on average.

I hear you, Its Not about, and yes, I agree that it should be, probably 5 flashes, not 3, but I still think it is OK to use the 3-flash thing we have in situations where there isn't a lot going on around you - e.g., a lightly traveled highway with lots of room...I do use the continuous flash whenever things are busy around me...YMMV, of course.

How do you compare the blinker stalk resistance to your other vehicles? I noticed that the Model 3 stalk has noticeably more resistance than my previous vehicle. This further complicated the adjustment period and process.
As a former Model S owner (62K miles) and current X owner (29K miles) when I first took the wheel of my 3 last month I immediately noticed that the turn signal stalk feel was quite different. It took me awhile to get used to it; at first I wasn’t pushing it far enough to keep it on. The indicator noise also seems a lot softer than my X.

Welp, I did some testing... and... It's quite possibly my turn signal stalk is defective.

I have the exact same issue as @Eno Deb it turns out.

Testing:
  • Left (Down) Light Press: Continuous
  • Left (Down) Long Press: Continuous
  • Left (Down) Light Press To Cancel Continuous Blinker: Does Not Cancel (Most likely because it's thinking I'm doing a Long Press)
  • Right (Up) Light Press: 3 Blinks
  • Right (Up) Long Press: Continuous
  • Right (Up) Light Press To Cancel Continuous Blinker: Cancels
Other notes:
  • If I "Ever So Lightly"™ go Left (Down) on the stalk, I can get it to the 3-Blinks.
  • Once the Left blinker is on Continuous, a Left (Down) Light press doesn't cancel, but if I do an "Ever So Lightly"™ Left Down, it'll stop blinking then suddenly "hiccup" back to Continuous.
  • Only way I can cancel a Left Continuous blinker other than steering wheel motion, is to signal Right (Up) Light Press. But if I go hard, then now I'm Right blinker Continuous. :D
I'll be contacting the Service Center shortly to schedule. Thanks all!

My month-old 3 works fine, but my brother, who is new to Tesla, picked up his 3 two weeks ago and he is having the same issue with his turn signals as you - only on the left turns. He's going in for service on that and a couple minor frunk/trunk lid alignment issues next week.