Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Update 2019.8.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got this update 2 days ago, and am not really happy with the autopilot functionality, I really wish I could go backwards to the previous version.

There is a lot more uncertainty in the follow distance with this new version. It seems like a straight up bug. Here's what I experienced over the last 4 commutes.

1. Follow distance seems to sometimes slowly lost "Its place" Its like it finda a good follow distance, but as the car in front of me slows down and speeds up the car wants to get further and further back from what seems a reasonable follow distance. Also see #2
2. When following a vehicle which is staying at a constant speed in front of me, EAP will pulse, it goes faster, slower, faster, slower with no rhyme or reason. If I don't intervene with accelerator, it will continue this behavior while falling further and further from the car its following.
3. In general more small phantom braking incidences.

Just got this update 2 days ago, and am not really happy with the autopilot functionality, I really wish I could go backwards to the previous version.

There is a lot more uncertainty in the follow distance with this new version. It seems like a straight up bug. Here's what I experienced over the last 4 commutes.

1. Follow distance seems to sometimes slowly lost "Its place" Its like it finda a good follow distance, but as the car in front of me slows down and speeds up the car wants to get further and further back from what seems a reasonable follow distance. Also see #2
2. When following a vehicle which is staying at a constant speed in front of me, EAP will pulse, it goes faster, slower, faster, slower with no rhyme or reason. If I don't intervene with accelerator, it will continue this behavior while falling further and further from the car its following.
3. In general more small phantom braking incidences.

I just got done with a 500+ mile trip in my LR RWD 3. Same behavior as you described above on 2019.5.15.

At time on AP the car would just randomly slow down.

That's not really phantom breaking... The car sometimes thinks you go from a 100km/h zone to an 80 and breaks .. not sure why it's doing that and it's pretty annoying .

Need to start reading the signs boys, the geofencing data isn't working well with speeds

Same on 5.15. If I set the follow distance to 1 car it will leave a 4 car gap. It does everything else you describe as well.
The follow distance settings are not equivalent to car lengths. They're time-based settings, without specific units and as such the distance the system maintains between your car and the car in front of you varies with your speed.

Interestingly enough, despite the other complaints on this thread, 2019.5.15 is, so far, giving me the best, smoothest EAP behavior I have seen since getting the car 8 months ago.

The follow distance settings are not equivalent to car lengths. They're time-based settings, without specific units and as such the distance the system maintains between your car and the car in front of you varies with your speed.

Interestingly enough, despite the other complaints on this thread, 2019.5.15 is, so far, giving me the best, smoothest EAP behavior I have seen since getting the car 8 months ago.
Either way, it's not working like it used to.

NoA is garbage as usual in this build as well.

• Disagree
Reactions: Trevlan006
Hopefully they'll fix on the next update. I'm on 5.15 and it doesn't seem to slow down and not necessarily brake more than usual, but the car following distance has been pretty consistent on my end.

My BIL (Brother in Law) was in his coworkers car yesterday and it just slammed on it's brakes because i guess it really didn't like the white walled divider. I'm not sure if they were in a S or a 3 though.

wall in highway.jpg