Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Upgrade Incoming?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do miss the matrix LED lights from my merc. It was so useful having the light pattern dynamically change depending on the situation. Oncoming car? no problem, just blank out the LED's that would dazzle and keep the rest lit. Dark country road. change the pattern to cover more of the verge. As much as the rest of the car is cutting edge tech, I do think things like that are lagging behind.
I agree, that and Apple CarPlay are the only things I like when I go back in our Mercedes, but I do think the Model 3 lights are actually brighter.

what does everyone think the likelihood is of a new updated model 3 before the end of the year? I am looking to take delivery before the end of the year, so just wondering if i should hold out before ordering :)
It’s rumours, and impossible to know for sure.

Just before I ordered, back in January, there was talk of a potential 100kWh battery pack coming to the Model 3. That briefly gave me pause for thought, but then I remembered that if I waited for anticipated tech upgrades then I’d probably never buy one.

You can be reasonably certain that the cars will evolve over time, in much the same way stuff like phones, laptops, etc do.

Reactions: JS77
what does everyone think the likelihood is of a new updated model 3 before the end of the year? I am looking to take delivery before the end of the year, so just wondering if i should hold out before ordering :)
Usually the American market gives a pointer as to when upgrades are coming on stream (USB-C, wireless charging, front mud flaps etc first appeared in the USA in June, then shipments to Europe for this current quarter). So, if nothing changes in the American market by October I very much doubt we would see anything significant for year end.

Further upgrades are more likely sometime in 2021 but I would wait & see what Battery Day next week brings...

Reactions: s88ats
what does everyone think the likelihood is of a new updated model 3 before the end of the year?

Tesla seem to do regular smaller (although some revisions are larger than others - facelift, raven, AP, MCU etc) revisions rather than significant updates - not always for the better.

No one knows for sure, but looking at Model S and Y history, I don't think Model 3 is at stage of anything more significant. Sounds like Model S and X are long overdue something more significant but the 'facelift by end of year' has been doing the rounds for a number of years already.

imho

Everything on the 3 seems to be designed to minimize drag and therefore extend the range. A sunroof would be nice, but would it be worth the loss of range?
I've never understood the point of Sunroofs. You have a glass roof. Windows that open and AC. Why do need the roof to open as well. I genuinely don't get it. Its just one more thing to add weight/leak/break/add drag as far as I can see.

I've never understood the point of Sunroofs. You have a glass roof. Windows that open and AC. Why do need the roof to open as well. I genuinely don't get it. Its just one more thing to add weight/leak/break/add drag as far as I can see.
It's not normally as harsh/brutal as the wind from windows and also some people can't use a/c for medical reasons/dislike of the dehumidifying effect. I do like a sunroof but more for the light a full glass roof brings, which we obviously get from the 3 anyway.

It's not as easy as it looks ask @Gatsojon
Yes very true and I’m very grateful for your help at the end of a stressful day.

I didn’t fit the CANBUS and not had any issues. I did fit the foot sensor which I find very useful though it’s not keen on working if the car is asleep. So fine returning from a shopping trip but not so much first thing in the morning.

Reactions: s88ats and Mr H
I do miss the matrix LED lights from my merc. It was so useful having the light pattern dynamically change depending on the situation. Oncoming car? no problem, just blank out the LED's that would dazzle and keep the rest lit. Dark country road. change the pattern to cover more of the verge. As much as the rest of the car is cutting edge tech, I do think things like that are lagging behind.
I do really miss this. Despite only having driven my car at night once, on french country roads, it''s still a big miss. The fact they steered with you helped too. And spread out at roundabouts so you could see entrance and exit more clearly.

I actually think it's quiet a big miss on a car that prides itself on it's tech not to have such a high tech looking safety feature

Its nice to have all the options ;)

On a hot day, when you first get into the car, to open the sunroof will dissipate the most heat (heat travels up) and if you open the side windows it will instantly dissipate. Just opening all four side widows doesn't have anywhere near the same effect.

Also, personally I like to have the air con off on a hot day if there is a decent flow in motion. Open the sunroof and modulate the side windows.

Like I said, its nice to have options :)

Its nice to have all the options ;)

On a hot day, when you first get into the car, to open the sunroof will dissipate the most heat (heat travels up) and if you open the side windows it will instantly dissipate. Just opening all four side widows doesn't have anywhere near the same effect.

Also, personally I like to have the air con off on a hot day if there is a decent flow in motion. Open the sunroof and modulate the side windows.

Like I said, its nice to have options :)
Seems like a minimal benefit for the extra cost and complexity especially in a car which can precondition.
Opening the windows / sunroof will also use far more energy than having the windows/roof closed and the AC on.
I'll stick with my HVAC. Each to their own.