Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Upgrade Incoming?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Take off the boot inner trim that houses the grab handles etc (the iffy looking plastic moulding).

Add closed-cell self adhesive foam sheet to the inner metal skin of the boot, and the inner skin of the plastic moulding. Preferably 1/2” foam.

Then retest.

The noise you are hearing is the “final” air pressure of closure reverberating through the plastic/metal skin surfaces as you create the seal of the boot shut. The foam sheet will damp this noise by reducing the ability of the boot skin metal and plastic to vibrate under the air pressure change.

By using foam you won’t make it much heavier - butyl sound-deadening could add another layer of difference to the noise it makes but adds much more weight.

For extra bonus points and significant road noise reduction do the same to all the inner metal skin surface in the boot (lower, sides) and under the rear seat bench where appropriate / not interfering with cabling.

There is also an element of the contact points, so the metal latch and rubber stops, but try the above and see if it sounds more German.

On my car the boot shut sound is deeper sounding than the early 2019 demo car I had a year ago. Not W211 Mercedes but pretty good.

I’d certainly like new headlights - the present ones are utter crap. But they also need much better software to control them. Apart from that I’d like to see huge improvements in refinement. There is way too much noise at motorway speeds for a car that costs more than £50K.

Reactions: Neilio
Far too much on that list to be accurate. These changes would likely appear over a prolonged time period on an incremental basis. That's how Tesla differ to other car manufacturers. They continuously make small improvements and changes instead of facelifting or rolling out a new manufacturing year.

Reactions: P3dStealth
Nobody knows. Probably even Tesla doesn't know at this point. However, IMHO, for almost all the items the answer is almost certainly no.
I thought this but hoped as I had the new style frunk the octovalve could have been installed. Otherwise, the new style frunk has no real purpose. I have also been debating the power lift boot since owning - not because it bothers me, but because I became reliant on it on with my previous cars and it would be a welcomed feature to have back.

I think all the things on the list would be nice, not essential but good to see they are actively working on continuing to improve the car, which they need to do to keep ahead of the competition. Better QC and improved sound insulation on poor road surfaces would be a big plus.

I thought this but hoped as I had the new style frunk the octovalve could have been installed. Otherwise, the new style frunk has no real purpose. I have also been debating the power lift boot since owning - not because it bothers me, but because I became reliant on it on with my previous cars and it would be a welcomed feature to have back.

Cue Mr H ..

• Funny
Reactions: Mr H
Far too much on that list to be accurate. These changes would likely appear over a prolonged time period on an incremental basis. That's how Tesla differ to other car manufacturers. They continuously make small improvements and changes instead of facelifting or rolling out a new manufacturing year.
You have a point. If they did all that at the same time not only would it be a logistical feat far beyond Tesla but it would create issues where everyone wanted to wait for the new version.
All of those things sound like changes but are probably more likely to be trickled out unannounced.
Though I do wonder if power trunk might possibly be a paid option
It will add a new dimension to collection though. In addition to wondering which defects your car will have on collection you will also be able to wonder what features it will have as well.

I bet the 'New Center Console' is the part with USB-C ports front and rear, so already here. The new lights have been seen on some Model Y, some change around the coloring of internal elements you have to see them next to each other to tell (maybe they don't fill with water, you never know).
Heat pump / octovalve / smaller frunk would make sense as it's then the same as the Model Y. I'm not sure anyone has figured out what difference it makes, I guess the mileage should increase a little in cold weather, not sure if that would change the WLTP / EPA measurement.
Features to make the car 'more premium' would seem unlikely to me, the strategy would more call for the car to be less expensive rather than more premium.

I do miss the matrix LED lights from my merc. It was so useful having the light pattern dynamically change depending on the situation. Oncoming car? no problem, just blank out the LED's that would dazzle and keep the rest lit. Dark country road. change the pattern to cover more of the verge. As much as the rest of the car is cutting edge tech, I do think things like that are lagging behind.

I do miss the matrix LED lights from my merc. It was so useful having the light pattern dynamically change depending on the situation. Oncoming car? no problem, just blank out the LED's that would dazzle and keep the rest lit. Dark country road. change the pattern to cover more of the verge. As much as the rest of the car is cutting edge tech, I do think things like that are lagging behind.

I do miss even the steerable xeons that were on my old Seat. Although the M3 ones aren't active in any way, they are otherwise pretty good.

What I would really like to see if they improve is road noise transmission into the cabin. Wind noise is fine (on my M3), but different road surfaces make ludicrous amounts of difference. In my dreams is just a single part that needs replaced with a newer, compatible, part and jobs a good one. And while I'm dreaming, I'll have the working FSD I guess.

Reactions: MrBadger