Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 used pricing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Am I the only one who thinks the model 3 used pricing is way off? Forum members seem to be trying to buy cars, pocket tax credit and sell for close to what they have in it months/years later. Only if things really worked that way

For example there is a MR 3 just posted for $49999. Has a couple options - blue, white int and EAP. I get that it was probably close to $59k OTD for poster (2018 pricing) but should be receiving $7500 tax credit so should have just over 51k in it

If I were to buy that car the breakdown would be
$49999 sales price
$3625 sales tax
$550 registration
$54174 OTD

I can buy that exact car NEW for

$52700 including destination (2019 pricing)
$3821 sales tax
$600 registration
$57121 OTD
-$3875 Fed Tax credit
-$2500 CA rebate
$50746 net cost

Once you get $3875 fed tax credit and $2500 from California for a net cost of $50746 or $3428 less and a 2019 car that is NEW

I get that this example is just in CA. Not sure if other states have incentives to buy new EV's but toss out the $2500 and its still cheaper to buy a NEW car by $928....

Am I the only one who thinks the model 3 used pricing is way off? Forum members seem to be trying to buy cars, pocket tax credit and sell for close to what they have in it months/years later. Only if things really worked that way

For example there is a MR 3 just posted for $49999. Has a couple options - blue, white int and EAP. I get that it was probably close to $59k OTD for poster (2018 pricing) but should be receiving $7500 tax credit so should have just over 51k in it

If I were to buy that car the breakdown would be
$49999 sales price
$3625 sales tax
$550 registration
$54174 OTD

I can buy that exact car NEW for

$52700 including destination (2019 pricing)
$3821 sales tax
$600 registration
$57121 OTD
-$3875 Fed Tax credit
-$2500 CA rebate
$50746 net cost

Once you get $3875 fed tax credit and $2500 from California for a net cost of $50746 or $3428 less and a 2019 car that is NEW

I get that this example is just in CA. Not sure if other states have incentives to buy new EV's but toss out the $2500 and its still cheaper to buy a NEW car by $928....

Some are probably just optimistic, some are hoping to dupe an uninformed buyer I guess, but also, some people aren't in a state or tax situation to take advantage of the incentives for themselves, so it actually will save them a bit.

Reactions: T-Will
Also, some probably can’t afford to wait 13 months to get the tax rebate. But I’m with you. New is cheaper.
Just change your W-4 and don't give them the withhold, you don't have to wait 13 months...
Guess what, you can have your tax credit benefit even before you buy the car, say you start lowering the withhold in Jan and buy the car in December.

Seller is looking for a perfect customer. Someone who wants a car, equipped exactly like his, and for individual reasons is unable to take advantage of the tax credit.
Buyer gets to get a well inspected and on the ground minimum mileage (<2,000 miles) beautiful car, delivered to their door. Paperwork would be minimal.
If you are a buyer, who can take full advantage of the tax credit, then this is not the car for YOU.

For some people, getting a car, hand delivered to your doorstep is better than going through the whole Tesla ordering program, and perhaps getting a vehicle with major flaws, needing to refuse delivery, and get back in line.

Some buyers may be a person that does not have taxable income, but is still flush. A business owner who structures his bookeeping to minimize taxable income, a housewife that wants the car in her own name, but has no tax liabilities. A Marijuana dealer than cannot have a bank account, but has briefcases of cash piling up :)

Don't be so quick to judge. There is a seat for every car...

I suppose it is possible that RWD 3s might attract a used 'premium' since Tesla is no longer offering them new, and the fact that they offer the very longest range in the world currently will have appeal to some knowledgeable EV buyers. This premium, if it does in fact exist, will be short-lived IMO because I expect Tesla to resume offering RWD 3s in the US/CN when it begins offering them in the EU...Q2 perhaps sooner depending on EU demand for P and AWD.

Reactions: T-Will