Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 vibration through the steering wheel. Any help appreciated.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my car for a few months now and it has been flawless until recently. I'm getting a vibration through the steering wheel. It doesn't seem to happen under different conditions such as, on acceleration, on re-gen braking or braking in general. It feels like its coming from the passenger front but I can't be certain and it is so unpredictable when it happens that I haven't notified Tesla yet.... I'm not sure where to start... I'm trying to pinpoint whats going on so I don't sound crazy or waste their time trying to find a need in a hay stack so to speak. Hopefully putting this out to the community will offer some help first. Please comment if you or anyone has read or heard of any similar problems and can offer any insight. Thanks

The condenser cooling fan has lost a balancing weight. Mine did it a month after delivery. The fan speed is computer controlled and there is a resonant rpm where you really feel it, otherwise if it hadn't been so smooth originally you wouldn't have noticed it. We opened the frunk cover and could feel it in the fan shroud. The ranger said it was accessible from the bottom and we don't have a convenient service center with a lift yet so I'm waiting till we get one. If you're near a service center you might as well call them. They'll probably change the fan assembly. The weight is probably lying under the shroud but you probably couldn't tell where it was.

Last edited:
Just confirming you are not experiencing the Lane Departure Warning, which vibrates the steering wheel.

Page 84 of the manual. https://www.tesla.com/content/dam/tesla/Ownership/Own/Model 3 Owners Manual.pdf

Controls > Autopilot > Lane Departure Warning.

Thanks for the heads up, and the links... but definitely not the lane departure warning. Perhaps it's as simple as the wheel weights when balancing was done? Maybe I lost a weight as someone suggested? I will look into this. Again thank you for you help. Cheers and have a happy new year.

The condenser cooling fan has lost a balancing weight. Mine did it a month after delivery. The fan speed is computer controlled and there is a resonant rpm where you really feel it, otherwise if it hadn't been so smooth originally you wouldn't have noticed it. We opened the frunk cover and could feel it in the fan shroud. The ranger said it was accessible from the bottom and we don't have a convenient service center with a lift yet so I'm waiting till we get one. If you're near a service center you might as well call them. They'll probably change the fan assembly. The weight is probably lying under the shroud but you probably couldn't tell where it was.

WOW, Thanks for the info... I haven't heard of this and will look into it. Cheers!

Reactions: skitown
You can sometimes get it at the resonance RPM by varying the blower fan speed or temperature but it usually doesn't stay there. The fan speed is computer controlled also by the cooling and heating loops so it has a mind of it's own. The fan can even be running when the HVAC is off. You can feel it pretty well at the front of the frunk. These are opinions of myself and the Road Ranger.

About a week after the vibration started I heard a "thunk" from that area while driving. I think the previously dislodged weight was hit by the fan and thrown somewhere. They are clip on weights that are apparently not properly secured.

Reactions: Raindog1