Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 vs BMW i3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This thread can be split into two responses:

Those that actually own i3s who find that they are surprisingly good.
Those that don't own i3s who criticise; range, suicide doors, styling
I’ve owned an i3 for 2.5 years, and while I like and enjoy it, I would be more than happy to criticize the range, suicide doors, and styling, among other things. Can’t wait for my Model 3!

I never really liked the styling of the i3. But with Tesla pushing the standard Model 3 out of the full federal tax credit window, and now that the i3 can be had for around $15k here in California....hmmmmm.

The i3 is.... not good, I took an extended test drive, and man, it has the BMW roundel, but that's where it stops, the range drops so fast and drastically in it, I had a new 2018, fully charged at 118 on the range, and 70 miles later I was down to 20 miles left and dropping much faster than I was comfortable with. BMW told me, "you need the Rex", well, the point is to get away from ICE... sooooo no thanks. The seats are uncomfortable and def not something for long trips (which wouldn't be possible anyway... haha).

Even on the cheap, unless you're just an in-town and never go on distance trips, I would stay away.

I highly doubt that a single tesla fan is threatened by anything out there.. the competition as it stands right now is a joke.. as soon as the federal credit runs out sales will stop.., except for Tesla's.

All these I3 sold in the US by the way were massively subsidized.. I know because I was looking into getting one for $200 - $250 a month with very little down.

You don't lease $50k cars for $250 a month.. ..unless you get $7,500 from Uncle Sam. That alone slashes the monthly payment by $208.

Agreed. (Even though a lease won't net the $7.5k from the Feds)

The i3 is.... not good, I took an extended test drive, and man, it has the BMW roundel, but that's where it stops, the range drops so fast and drastically in it, I had a new 2018, fully charged at 118 on the range, and 70 miles later I was down to 20 miles left and dropping much faster than I was comfortable with. BMW told me, "you need the Rex", well, the point is to get away from ICE... sooooo no thanks. The seats are uncomfortable and def not something for long trips (which wouldn't be possible anyway... haha).

Even on the cheap, unless you're just an in-town and never go on distance trips, I would stay away.

Having driven in SF many times over the last 40+ years, I'd say a BMW i3 is more correctly sized to that city than most cars. Not a huge fan of BMW, but for old poorly engineered cities, little cars are better cars.

the way range is calculated in the i3 is totally different than how tesla does it. The i3 does an estimate based on your driving habits

so if you drive like a bat out of hell its not uncommon to see your range drop by 10-15 miles all of a sudden.

• Helpful
Reactions: MacGreiner
I’ve owned my Tesla Model 3 Performance for over two months. Before that i owned a BMW i3 (2014) and a 2017 i3; both REX. BMW never truly committed to the car. It hardly improved between the 2014 and 2017 models.

I thought it was ugly in pictures. Much better in person. That being said, the appearance grows on you. I was constantly amazed at how many positive comments I received on the appearance of my i3. I’d regularly come out of a store and find people checking it out; all with positive comments. I have not experienced that with my Tesla.

Only maintenance issues I ever had were was drivers seat heater failed, on both the 2014 and the 2017 models.

pros of i3
Fun to drive
Very nimble
Amazing turn radius
Great visibility
Well made
Plastic body panels meant no door dings, ever!
Interior comfortable, well made.
Great efficiency. Usually 3.8-4.1 miles/kWh
Less degradation in winter compared to Tesla

Cons
Limited range (I had a REX)
Suicide doors challenging in tight parking spots
Technology dated for UI
poorly suspended, bouncy ride
Steering almost too nimble, freeway driving effected heavily by road grooves etc
Acceleration limited from start
Terrible in snow
Software, firmware updates infrequent and would require a day or two at dealer to accomplish
Chewed through tires in 15k miles, replacements are limited to only one manufacturer and they are expensive for such a narrow tire.