Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

model 3 vs subaru wrx sti.. also model 3 as a rally car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Disclaimer: While I love offroad driving, I know next to nothing about rally.

I usually see rally cars as these tight little flicky things with gobs of power. While Model 3 certainly goes fast in a straight line, it's a heavy turner. Our '09 Honda Fit feels better around a corner at speed than the LR AWD Model 3 (but of course, the Fit being a FWD 4cyl econobox, Tesla wins the race anyways). The weight is in a good low spot, but it's still 4100lbs.

I highly suspect a decent rally car (e.g. mentioned WRX STI) will beat a rally-modified Model 3 on a relatively complex and technical course. If it's a simpler run with a lot of straights, the Model 3 might make up enough time. This is of course assuming a skilled driver for both vehicles.

There's also the problem that the Model 3 doesn't have limited slip diffs, and uses brakes instead. I recall some people have pointed out that all the traction control in Track Mode can eat through pads at an alarming rate.

I think the s209 is pretty cool but not worth the money..same old outdated power plant. I can’t believe subaru hasn’t made any real changes to the sti. Might as well bring back the bugeye! Since were posting pics..here’s my old wrx lol

F5E8181B-04D0-4B95-9FEC-C2F2F2C3F348.jpeg

Resurrecting this thread in hopes another former Subaru fanboy knows something about skid plates. I've been looking around for lift kits and skid plates to try to make my Model 3 more capable offroad and in deep snow. (Had to replace my front aero motor cover twice now. Is that normal?) So far I've found this: MPP 1.75″ Suspension Lift Kit Has anybody found or made a skid plate or something more durable to replace the motor aero shields?

I traded in my 2014 STI with a stage 2 tune. 88,000 problem free miles. Awesome in bad weather. Some days I miss the rumble of the exhaust. I loved that car but I also love my AWD model 3. The tech, the acceleration, the planted handling. I’ve had it 3 months and I still go into the garage and just sit in it. FYI I had to add home link and a self dimming mirror to my STI after I bought it so Tesla is not alone.

( Holy thread bump Batman! )

Is it time? Hopefully this will make amends for the Solterra. I really hope it will have quad motors. An STI EV should have quad motors. (I'm sure it won't have quad motors. 😥)

Finding this thread has me reminiscing...

1640256401787.png

1640256723192.png

1640256609131.png

1640257155429.png

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: EVolv3d