Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 was towed and damaged with Sentry videos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Totally sucks op, everyone makes mistakes and the damage should be on the tow company. If it was a AWD, they likely would have totaled the car. I hope you get everything fixed to your satisfaction. I think it's pretty sketchy that they have to pull over and then decide to tow it correctly. Obviously the damage is their fault.

Reactions: Nocturnal
So my insurance just called me. I have 3 options:
1. Go through my insurance and pay out of pocket for all of the repairs and they'll reimburse me if they find the other party is at fault
2. Go back to the towing shop and get their insurance and have their insurance pay for the damages. I doubt that they would give me their insurance that easy. What if they don't want to? Option 3?
3. Sue them. Take them to court.

So which option/route do you guys think I should pick?
Option 2 then 1 then 3 if everything else failed?

Last edited:
1. Go through my insurance and pay out of pocket for all of the repairs and they'll reimburse me if they find the other party is at fault
2. Go back to the towing shop and get their insurance and have their insurance pay for the damages. I doubt that they would give me their insurance that easy. What if they don't want to? Option 3?

2,3,1 But 2,1,3 would also work. Might be best to contact a lawyer if 2 does not work out, and get their advice.

It's hard to see in the photos but it looks like most of those marks could easily be polished out. The damage under the car is minimal, and could easily be re damaged the first time you go up a steep driveway or hit a parking curb.

Just something to consider before going all gung ho and involving lawyers or a ton of brain damage

Today I got a letter from Progressive denying any payment for my damages. Even with the videos evidences, Progressive wants me to pay out of my pocket. I guess it's time to switch to a different insurance company.
20190701_185814.jpg

You should be going after the tow company's insurance, not yours I'd think?

Yes and no. The OPs insurance company insures their Tesla, and since the insured property was damaged, in a perfect world, Progressive would have paid out, then THEY would pursue the tow company's insurer.

Now....since Progressive has decided not to step up, OP should pursue the tow company's insurance directly......and drop Progressive like a bad habit.

Yes and no. The OPs insurance company insures their Tesla, and since the insured property was damaged, in a perfect world, Progressive would have paid out, then THEY would pursue the tow company's insurer.

Now....since Progressive has decided not to step up, OP should pursue the tow company's insurance directly......and drop Progressive like a bad habit.

Yeah that is one piss poor insurance company in my opinion... The issue is not if the OP was illegally parked as he was and has taken responsibility for that...

How Progressive can deny the claim is beyond me.. In other words, and according to some in this thread, if I overstay a parking meter and my car is towed, falls off the back of the truck because the tow company is negligent, I should have to pay out of pocket for the totaled car that fell off the truck? Inanity right there!

The car was damaged due to the tow companies negligence.. If I were the OP, depending on the $$$ amount for the repairs, I'd file a civil suit against the tow company but the 1st order of biz would be dropping Progressive like a bad habit...

Last edited:
Reactions: ModelNforNerd
Sucks to hear that your insurance company isn't going to pay out for the damages that should be covered by your policy.

Glad you're dropping Progressive and find another suitable insurance company. I'm hoping Tesla Insurance rolls out soon and see how it compares to the other big companies.

Yeah that is one piss poor insurance company in my opinion... The issue is not if the OP was illegally parked as he was and has taken responsibility for that...

How Progressive can deny the claim is beyond me.. In other words, and according to some in this thread, if I overstay a parking meeter and my car is towed, falls off the back of the truck because the tow company is negligent, I should have to pay out of pocket for the totaled car that fell off the truck? Inanity right there!

The car was damaged due to the tow companies negligence.. If I were the OP, depending on the $$$ amount for the repairs, I'd file a civil suit against the tow company but the 1st order of biz would be dropping Progressive like a bad habit...

Yea, the damage was not directly due to any negligence on OPs part. Parking illegally does not always = a tow, so they can't really use that as an excuse to claim he was negligent.

But, they're big, they have lawyers, and there's probably an arbitration clause. It's just better to take your business away from them.

Reactions: LunkHead
Reading the letter, it looks like they are simply stating you’re not liable (“our insured”) and, therefore, they’re not paying. I’m surprised they’re not going after the tow company’s insurance for you as that’s usually the method.

Send somebody to the tow company pretending to be a prospective client (business owner wanting to hire them to patrol parking lot) and get their insurance info. Call the “if you’re not satisfied” number at Progressive (and/or a lawyer) and give them that information to pursue.

Today I got a letter from Progressive denying any payment for my damages. Even with the videos evidences, Progressive wants me to pay out of my pocket. I guess it's time to switch to a different insurance company.
View attachment 425475
Color me confused. Is Progressive your insurance or theirs? The letter says, "our insured is not liable" which says to me that it's the tow company's insurance, but you talk about switching carriers. Is Progressive the insurance for both of you?

Reactions: SMAlset and MP3Mike
Color me confused. Is Progressive your insurance or theirs? The letter says, "our insured is not liable" which says to me that it's the tow company's insurance, but you talk about switching carriers. Is Progressive the insurance for both of you?

I think it was poor wording on Progressive's part. The line that ties it together is: "As a result, we will be unable to make any payment to you at this time."