Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 wheel options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla will surely be charging a lot extra for bigger rims, like the insane $4,500 for 21" wheels on the Model S.

Then larger rim size tires are more expensive too.

My 3 will have the cheapest wheels possible on it, whatever comes with the car at no extra cost. 17 or 18 inch is fine with me.

Reactions: Stirfelt
Wheel choices will be 18" and 19" per the updated S/3 comparison info-graph:

model-3-options.jpg
At least what will be available at launch. I suspect future performance version will have 20" option.

Ugh! I love the 19s on the release candidates ever since I first saw the design during the reveal, but I really want more sidewall and I doubt I'll want to pay the markup when a really nice set of aftermarket tires AND wheels can be had on Tirerack for about $2000! :(

They'll probably price them high enough to squish the temptation. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Big-T
I wonder if run flats are obsolete based on tire pressure monitors. Here is the logic:
  1. The tire pressure monitor alerts you fast enough to not shred the tire.
  2. You pull over, plug it and pump it up with a bicycle pump.
  3. Drive to your destination.
This is way easier than putting on a spare tire/wheel.

And you can ride on really good tires.

The geographic feasibility of this may vary.

• Disagree
Reactions: hoang51
rolling-on-the-floor-laughing-smiley-face-roflol.gif
Good luck with that! Suggest you give it a try at home before you stake your life on it.

What? I've been patching tires with plugs for many years. I use the abrasion tool to clean out the hole, coat the plug with RTV to help it seal and still be flexible, put the plug in, pump up the tire, and head off down the road. Never had a problem, even on modern tires. Don't even need to take the wheel off.

Reactions: tracksyde and DR61
rolling-on-the-floor-laughing-smiley-face-roflol.gif
Good luck with that! Suggest you give it a try at home before you stake your life on it.
Yes, I run Michelin Pilot Super Sports on my 328i instead of run flats, with good results. Michelin has free road side service, but just plugging it myself was easier...

Will likely put that tire on any car I buy, if they have the size... If they don't have the size, will likely use the Conti ExtremeContact Sport.

Reactions: DR61
I'm surprised the base wheels are 18s and not 17s. That's above the typical standard for wheels in the class.
The tire diameter is larger than most cars in it's class, so the wheel needs to be larger to maintain a reasonably responsive sidewall height. 17's would produce a 4.6" sidewall, which is pretty tall.

I'm was surprised to see the 20's at the reveal with only a 3.2" sidewall. 18 and 19" wheels are in class.

I'm guessing 235/45-18 or 235/40-19 square.

View media item 114931