Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Windshield crack issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You don't have glass coverage? It's such a cheap add on to comprehensive. I think I pay $35 for it.
Call your insurance co up and ask about adding it
In CA its rare for an insurer to have separate glass coverage... and "Glass coverage through your insurance" is not = to "Warranty issue". The OP sounded surprised that this was not a warranty issue with Tesla. They clarified that they were disappointed, but not surprised, but a windshield crack because of something hitting it would never (ever) be a "warranty" issue. It would be an insurance issue for you to take up with your insurance.

Guys, glass coverage is a state law. Some states have it, most don't.

If your state doesn't have a law specifically requiring all insurance companies to pay for windshield repairs then you are stuck paying the $900 yourself.
Alternately, you can reduce your comprehensive deductible to something less than $900 and then only pay the difference, but your insurance company will then jack your rates up to make all that money back and then some.

Confirmed. I just tested out the windshields on ten Model 3s and all ten of them failed the hammer test. Ten out of ten. Cheap glass!
That was YOU?😳😂
Guys, glass coverage is a state law. Some states have it, most don't.

If your state doesn't have a law specifically requiring all insurance companies to pay for windshield repairs then you are stuck paying the $900 yourself.
Alternately, you can reduce your comprehensive deductible to something less than $900 and then only pay the difference, but your insurance company will then jack your rates up to make all that money back and then some.
No. You are wrong.
some states mandate glass coverage and you are paying for it.
others allow it as an option. And you pay for it. either way, you pay for it.
i live in NY. It is not mandated yet it is an option .which is pretty cheap and I have it on all my vehicles.

I looked up Texas insurance out of curiosity and they appear to be like my state. It’s an option.
People need to take responsibility to know what their insurance covers and their options .

Yeah I wasn't very clear @AquaY
Some states have laws that force insurance companies to provide glass *insurance*. This may have an associated premium and deductible and might even be optional but it's actual *insurance*, meaning that they pay for a set portion of the cost.

In states without these laws the "insurance" companies only offer "loans" to temporarily help you pay for your own repairs. Any claim you make must be paid back in full - plus interest, like any other auto repair claim.

Reactions: AquaY
Some states have laws that force insurance companies to provide glass *insurance*. This may have an associated premium and deductible and might even be optional but it's actual *insurance*, meaning that they pay for a set portion of the cost.

In states without these laws the "insurance" companies only offer "loans" to temporarily help you pay for your own repairs. Any claim you make must be paid back in full - plus interest, like any other auto repair claim.
You said this “If your state doesn't have a law specifically requiring all insurance companies to pay for windshield repairs then you are stuck paying the $900 yourself.” And that is wrong.

I point this out because people might not look for the option if they listen to that.

I advise everyone to check with their insurance company in their state.
Easy call and could save a headache

Hmmm. I pay $93 a month for full coverage on my M3 and all but collision on a 15 year old Volvo. $500 deductible too. But in MA, regardless of your coverage or deductible, insurers are required to cover the complete cost of windshield repair. Years ago I had a 15 year old car. The windshield wasn't cracked but it failed inspection for having too many minor scratches. Admittedly, they did impair the vision slightly at night. Nevertheless, I had it replaced for free. You should ask your insurance agent if they have a program like that in Tx.

Same in Florida: they are required to cover it fully: no deductible. Worth checking the law in TX.

Mike

Sorry. I need to clean my glasses or something. I thought you said "Yeah I was very clear."
Too late to edit my post.

Reactions: Gauss Guzzler
The main point is with all the engenering and expense that goes into making Tesla's, the windshield should be higher quality on all Tesla's by default, or at least make it an option so the user could pay more up front for a better windshield.

An update today:
Went to a Tesla charging station earlier today that was being worked on by Tesla employees (or at leaset contractors with Tesla shirts on), and I had a brief conversatoin about my Model 3 windshield experience with one of them.
He told me he had a Model 3 and had to replace the windshield twice on his, and that the Model 3 had fragile windshield glass.
He also mentioned there are about 5 grades of glass for windhsields, and his Model Y so far had not had any windshield issues.
As a consumer it would be better to at least have a windshield quality choice, if you know up front there are these different grades on windshield glass available.
Personally I'd rather pay more upfront for a durable windshield that will not have issues, and Tesla does have durability for almost everything in their cars, just not the glass yet.
Do you believe everything an "employee" tells you? I don't.

No manufacturer I know of offers windshield choice. Do you know one? Did you see the post by TechZelle? There are films you can buy that you can apply to your windshield that will help prevent chips/cracks. I think it's marketed at high-end vehicles, which typically have large windshields, that are low. As I pointed out before, that's a recipe for more pebbles hitting your windshield. More hits = more cracks.

Also, have you considered the Model Y is a taller vehicle. It's windshield starts higher up. That leads to less pebbles hitting it. Fewer hits = fewer cracks.

Do you believe everything an "employee" tells you? I don't.

No manufacturer I know of offers windshield choice. Do you know one? Did you see the post by TechZelle? There are films you can buy that you can apply to your windshield that will help prevent chips/cracks. I think it's marketed at high-end vehicles, which typically have large windshields, that are low. As I pointed out before, that's a recipe for more pebbles hitting your windshield. More hits = more cracks.

Also, have you considered the Model Y is a taller vehicle. It's windshield starts higher up. That leads to less pebbles hitting it. Fewer hits = fewer cracks.
I haven't chipped my windshield in my RAM 1500 in 10 years. I owned my MY for 3 months and "CRACK"
Still love my Model Y. It sits up higher than a 3 but not as high as my 1500 of course.
I looked into those films and it didn't seem worth it.
If they are better now, cheaper and last long I'd love to check them out again

I looked into that when a rock broke my windshield and I had to wait like a month to get it repaired.
What I remember was that it was expensive and only lasted a short while. Like a year.
Have you had it done on your car?
How long does it last? Cost?
I don't have it. I just looked at it today, and it doesn't look worth it. Too prone to scratching from dirty wipers, etc.

Do we even know it's the glass? It could be the rake of the windshield combined with other factors like body flex under high torque of the motors or some sort of air pressure difference, harmonic/resonant frequency of NVH, etc. Or even the way the glass is mounted: not enough damping around the edges.

Mike

I also had my windshield cracked by the very first pebble to ever hit the car (bumper is still pristine after 8000 miles). I've logged about a half-million miles in this town on these exact freeways with my exact driving style in very similar sedans and never cracked any other windshield.

In many regions Tesla batches all the cars together and has Safelite come out once a week to do them all at once under supervision in the service center parking lot. That's why everyone else was in for windshields too. They call it "Windshield Wednesdays" at my local service center.

Were they able to replace yours without screwing up the automatic climate control?
So far, no issues with the climate control since windshield replacement.
I wonder how many Model 3 windshields have to crack when any little pebble hits it, before Tesla considers it a real problem?

Do we even know it's the glass? It could be the rake of the windshield combined with other factors like body flex under high torque of the motors or some sort of air pressure difference, harmonic/resonant frequency of NVH, etc. Or even the way the glass is mounted: not enough damping around the edges.

Mike
It was definitely a small pebble that caused the windshield to crack, as the windshield repair person pointed out the area of impact.
Too many M3 cracked windshields reported to be due to pebble impact....

It was definitely a small pebble that caused the windshield to crack, as the windshield repair person pointed out the area of impact.
Too many M3 cracked windshields reported to be due to pebble impact....

What I'm suggesting is that maybe the windshield has more overall stress on it than most others. Then when you get a little chip that might not expand on another car, the unusual stresses cause it to spread. I heard a pretty healthy TICK one day while driving and found a tiny little pockmark. I went home and used a windshield repair kit to squeeze some resin into it just knowing M3 windshields tend to crack. I had hoped the resin would strengthen it. So far so good. It didn't have any spider veins but it was a visible chip a little smaller than a pin head so I didn't take any chances. Since there were no small cracks, I'm not sure if the resin made any difference but it made me feel better.

Mike

• Informative
Reactions: CreoUCLA and AquaY
What I'm suggesting is that maybe the windshield has more overall stress on it than most others. Then when you get a little chip that might not expand on another car, the unusual stresses cause it to spread.

Yep, and it happens to other car makes too;

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Whether one manufacturer's choice of glass is more fragile or not, chance seems to play into everyone's individual experience. Across our S and 3, over nine years combined and no cracks so far, despite multiple audible pebble impacts and one Homelink auto-closed garage door.

Yet on three previous cars, pebble impacts caused cracks, on two of them it was within first two months of ownership. Most spread slowly, only one enough to eventually be replaced, so we had to drive around for years looking at the little pinholes and cracks. Annoyingly, on another car that had a factory-defective distorted windshield, I prayed over 14 years that it would crack so we could justify replacing it, yet never ever had a single crack....

• Informative
Reactions: KenC