Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Windshield crack issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We caught a rock (or something) a few weeks ago on our 2021 Model 3 Performance, good sized impact point, quickly (during that drive) developed to a crack half way up and then across the windshield. Fine, these things happen, take it in for service and get the windshield replaced.
Replacement has an optical distortion right across the line of vision, sufficient that its nauseating while driving. Service center says "nope, won't replace, it passes all the tests" (as usual). So disappointed, effectively can't drive the car anymore.

What I'm suggesting is that maybe the windshield has more overall stress on it than most others. Then when you get a little chip that might not expand on another car, the unusual stresses cause it to spread. I heard a pretty healthy TICK one day while driving and found a tiny little pockmark. I went home and used a windshield repair kit to squeeze some resin into it just knowing M3 windshields tend to crack. I had hoped the resin would strengthen it. So far so good. It didn't have any spider veins but it was a visible chip a little smaller than a pin head so I didn't take any chances. Since there were no small cracks, I'm not sure if the resin made any difference but it made me feel better.

Mike
Could be there's more stress on the windshield, I did not think of that. If that were true, sounds like an engineering issue.
Anyway, I'm thinking the resin did make a difference in your windshield.
You did a mich better job than I did about checking for and finding the very small area of impact after hearing the dreaded tink :)
Sounds like you may have saved your windshield and good for you for doing the job yourself. I might not be so brave.
The glass guy Tesla hired to replace the M3 windshields said when you hear the tink, find that tiny impact area as quickly as possible and get a window pro to do it, as I think they have some special tool to preasurize the resin into the area.
From now on when I hear a tink, I will immediately try to find where the impact area was.
Seems if it's repaired before any spreading occurs, you have a decent chance of saving your windshield via well done repair :)

In CA its rare for an insurer to have separate glass coverage... and "Glass coverage through your insurance" is not = to "Warranty issue". The OP sounded surprised that this was not a warranty issue with Tesla. They clarified that they were disappointed, but not surprised, but a windshield crack because of something hitting it would never (ever) be a "warranty" issue. It would be an insurance issue for you to take up with your insurance.
Understood, and I now understand the exclusions for bumper to bumper warranty.
Unfortunately Texas has some insurance differences than some other states, but I'll double check the poilcy.
My main point in starting this post was to express the disappointment in the quality of the M3 glass when better quality is available, especially since everything else about the M3 is pretty wonderful and lasts alot longer.
Perhaps give the consumer the opportunity to opt for higher quality glass when ordering one, or just put better glass in Teslas by default. I'll be happy to pay more :)
I'm thinking Tesla should gather some stats about M3 windhield repair versus other comparable vehicles and find if there is an M3 windshield problem or not,

Reactions: jjrandorin
Understood, and I now understand the exclusions for bumper to bumper warranty.
Unfortunately Texas has some insurance differences than some other states, but I'll double check the poilcy.
My main point in starting this post was to express the disappointment in the quality of the M3 glass when better quality is available, especially since everything else about the M3 is pretty wonderful and lasts alot longer.
Perhaps give the consumer the opportunity to opt for higher quality glass when ordering one, or just put better glass in Teslas by default. I'll be happy to pay more :)
I'm thinking Tesla should gather some stats about M3 windhield repair versus other comparable vehicles and find if there is an M3 windshield problem or not,

That would be nice.

I realize its all anecdotal, but I have also had to replace my windshield in my model 3 once. I have had it since the end of 2018, and had to replace the windshield in 2021. Prior to that, I have driven 20+ years on the same roads, without having to replace a windshield in various BMWs.

My personal feeling is that the aerodynamics of the car previously mentioned in this thread contribute to this situation, so not "weaker glass" just "airflow more prone to pull stuff toward windshield" and "additional stresses on windshield as structure" contributing to this situation.

The end result is the same, however... I do think these windshields are rmore susceptible to damage, but no statistics to back it up.

I have to say, I see more cracks on Model 3/Y windshields than any other car. To the point I've started taking a glance at them when I see them in parking lots to see "is that one cracked"? I watch maybe half a dozen YouTubers who demo FSD or otherwise stream from their car. Seems like all of them have had a crack going all the way across the windshield in the last year. They make a comment like, "Yeah, I know I have to get the windshield fixed." And the first time I took my Model 3 to the car wash after getting it, there was a guy with a Model Y there who walked over and asked me if I knew of any issues with the windshield because his cracked out of nowhere. All I could say is, trace the crack to the endpoints: it's usually a rock chip that starts those.

Not sure what could make them more prone to cracking but it certainly seems to be true. Luckily, in FL too, insurance companies have to cover the cost of windshield repairs (as long as you have comprehensive). Good thing, since I don't think I'd trust anyone but Tesla to replace it with the camera heating elements, etc.

Mike
In 3 .5 years and 100k miles I have had 5 rock chips, 4 of them are filled by a crack repair service. The windscreen is still serviceable, but is getting pitted.

I don't think the M3 windscreen is anymore delicate than any other. However the design of the car being so slippery (low CD) in the air might contribute to less of an air cushion around it that would deflect some of the rocks.

YMMV

Reactions: jjrandorin
We caught a rock (or something) a few weeks ago on our 2021 Model 3 Performance, good sized impact point, quickly (during that drive) developed to a crack half way up and then across the windshield. Fine, these things happen, take it in for service and get the windshield replaced.
Replacement has an optical distortion right across the line of vision, sufficient that its nauseating while driving. Service center says "nope, won't replace, it passes all the tests" (as usual). So disappointed, effectively can't drive the car anymore.
Ask Safelite what they think, and what do they do, when the glass appears distorted? Can you take a pic? I don't know whom you could complain to, maybe your insurance company?

Ask Safelite what they think, and what do they do, when the glass appears distorted? Can you take a pic? I don't know whom you could complain to, maybe your insurance company?
Good idea on asking Safelite, was thinking the same, hopefully can reach someone tomorrow. I tried getting some video but it wasn't the best background for it, I'll need to try again with something that will more clearly show the problem.
Thanks for the ideas!

Was it an OEM windshield or an after market? I am waiting to get mine replaced currently. Safelite gave me an option to go with Tesla OEM or aftermarket. Tesla OEM will take 3 months vs. a couple of weeks for an after market. I decided to go with an aftermarket. Hope mine will be ok.

Was it an OEM windshield or an after market? I am waiting to get mine replaced currently. Safelite gave me an option to go with Tesla OEM or aftermarket. Tesla OEM will take 3 months vs. a couple of weeks for an after market. I decided to go with an aftermarket. Hope mine will be ok.
Done at the local service center so it better be OEM. If we were not also having heaps of troubles with the FSD doing the phantom braking I'd have considered going w/ Safelite and their options, but figured having it done by Tesla wouldn't give them something to point at to say why the braking was happening.
Also: Sheesh, 3 months is bonkers!

Our windshield got a rock pit on the drive home from picking it up in October. Last month, a rock hit it and a crack started which grew half way down and half way diagonally across the windshield. I scheduled with Tesla for a replacement ($1200 - covered by insurance ). They originally said they couldn’t get the part until July 11th. A week later, another crack on the drivers side this time. Today, a message from the service center changed the date to July 25th. Has anyone else had it take so long for a replacement? I guess it’s more time for this one to take a few more hits. I have a 21 year old Honda and 19 year old Toyota that have never needed replacement window shields. Maybe it’s the glass of angle of the windshield. It’s definitely odd.

Has anyone else had it take so long for a replacement?

I think there are a bunch of posts in this thread where it took a long time to get the replacement. And it was/is a supply issue.

Safelight told me last year when it happened to me that it was not just Tesla. It was several companies. Honda or Nissan ( I forgot which) was almost as bad but Tesla was the worst.
Think about it, they can't produce enough cars to meet demand. So windshields are in demand for their new cars too.
I guess it’s more time for this one to take a few more hits. I have a 21 year old Honda and 19 year old Toyota that have never needed replacement window shields. Maybe it’s the glass of angle of the windshield. It’s definitely odd.
I think safety glass is safety glass. Has to meet a minimum criteria and I think Tesla gets them from companies that make for other dealers.
That's my guess anyway.

I was watching this weeks Out of Spec Reviews review of the Model 3 and BMW i4 and noticed Kyle's Model 3 has a major crack all the way across the windshield. Seems like every YouTuber I watch has a crack at least once a year. They don't even address it anymore as it's so common to see a Model 3 with a cracked windshield. They either crack easier or there is some consequence that causes them to get hit in the wrong way more often: autopilot causing people to tailgate closer, rake of the windshield plus aerodynamics causing harder hits. But it has to be something. It's almost more rare to see a Model 3 without a crack than with one!

Mike

Yeah I'm only at 11k miles and already my 2nd windshield has a small chip and my A-pillar is dented from a rock that just missed the windshield.

A half-million miles in the same town with the same commute and same driving style in similar sport-sedans hasn't resulted in anything other than a small nick every 3-5 years. The Tesla certainly seems to be different.

I noticed a crack on my windshield a week or two ago. I could hear repeated banging and popping sounds around the window 1-2 days before the crack actually appeared. It finally cracked as I was washing my car on a warm day and rinsing it off with water. There is no indication of a impact at all, so i scheduled with Tesla service at my local SC (Bellevue, WA) and requested replacement as a manufacturing defect. At first they rescheduled me with mobile service (great!) for a day i was out of town (not great!), and told me to reschedule in the app if that didn't work. Every other day i picked for mobile service just resulted in errors in the app, so i ended up rescheduling back at the SC several weeks later. Then I got rescheduled by Tesla again to the Seattle SC (which is more of a hassle for me), because the Bellevue SC doesn't do windshield replacements. I asked if it could be changed to mobile service and then they told me that mobile service doesn't do it either... Such terrible customer service so far.

They are telling me it is $1200 if it is not covered by warranty, so i have a few questions:
- Does it make sense that mobile service doesn't do windshield replacements? Not sure why they would have rescheduled me for one in the first place if that was the case
- Does Tesla take insurance for the window replacement if it isn't covered by warranty?
- Is it any cheaper to just go through some other company like SafeLite? They are who i have used in past vehicles and it is convenient to not have to leave home to get it replaced, but I don't know if the Tesla one is more complicated with all the camera\sensors around the window.

Safelite installed a windshield in my wife's Subaru and it had a distortion in the glass that was directly in the middle of the windshield. They couldn't see it of course and wouldn't replace it. They are a crack pot here in AZ and they always up-charge the Insurance companies for sensor calibrations.

I grew up in Southern Cali and drove for 15 of those years and never needed a wind shield. I moved to Arizona and have replaced 2-3 wind shields a year since moving here. The worst vehicle was my Prius!! That thing was a rock magnet!!
It's not just Tesla's, but other vehicles are prone to it (Dad's Jeep is as bad as my Prius) as well. PLus a lot of it has to do with the area and surrounding landscape.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Tesla doesn't do windshields, they just call Safelite for you - but - at least in my case they charged less than Safelite would have directly.

Some Tesla service centers will dispatch the Safelite tech to you but many (most?) service centers want the job to be done in the service center parking lot where they can be supervised.

Tesla doesn't do windshields, they just call Safelite for you - but - at least in my case they charged less than Safelite would have directly.

Some Tesla service centers will dispatch the Safelite tech to you but many (most?) service centers want the job to be done in the service center parking lot where they can be supervised.
Tesla does do windshields. My insurance wanted me to do Safelie. But they didn’t get the windshield as fast as Tesla did
I brought my car in and waited for it