Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Windshield Replacement - Extra $600 charge to recalibrate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having to have my 2nd windshield replacement for my 2020 Model 3 LR with FSD.

Same company replaced the windshield last year.

Now, this company insists on adding a $600 charge to recalibrate the cameras. I asked why charge this now when they didn't last time..the answer is that they now have software that can do it. I explained that Model 3 has a driver option to recalibrate, but they refuse to replace the windshield unless I pad the additional $600 fee.

Can a nationally known auto glass company have software to calibrate the Model 3 without the 10-50km of driving? Is the company's recalibration recommended by Tesla over the driver?

If anyone has information on this, I would really appreciate the feedback.

I had my windshield replaced by a tesla service center about 2 months ago, and asked about re calibration. They said "just drive it, it will re calibrate itself, we dont charge for or do calibration".

I suggest you check with a tesla service center, its unlikely wherever you are going is cheaper than doing it at tesla service center, since the total cost to me was like $900. The only difference is, tesla does not work with insurance, so you have to pay up front and then work with your insurance to get reimbursed.

If you can afford to do that, doing it through Tesla itself is likely better than wherever you are going. That charge sounds like they are fleecing you, since they "wont replace the windshield without calibrating it", and we know that you can self calibrate it by driving.

Kind of what I was thinking - But wanted to see if there was anything from Tesla officially about recalibration.

I figured if I had to drive my new Model 3 for 30 miles for the cameras to calibrate, then it is a driver thing because if anyone had software to do it, Tesla would.

Now, this company insists on adding a $600 charge to recalibrate the cameras. I asked why charge this now when they didn't last time..the answer is that they now have software that can do it. I explained that Model 3 has a driver option to recalibrate, but they refuse to replace the windshield unless I pad the additional $600 fee.

Can a nationally known auto glass company have software to calibrate the Model 3 without the 10-50km of driving? Is the company's recalibration recommended by Tesla over the driver?

Curious as to the identity of this "nationally known auto glass company". After my FSD computer was updated to HW3.0, the only thing I had to do was to drive the car for 10-15 miles. I didn't have my windshield removed, nor did any of the cameras change position but the process was still called a "recalibration" by the mobile ranger that serviced my car in my driveway.

From the sound of it, the company you used was trying to liberate some money from you for what appears to be extra and, in my opinion, unneeded work. They probably would have just driven your car around town for half an hour and then returned it to you already calibrated (I'm assuming that the windshield replacement would have been at their company and not a remote site like your home or work).

As far as an official response from Tesla, I'd try to contact Service using your app and ask for a quote for a windshield replacement and specifically what recalibration method is required. That should say everything. And as far as the glass company is concerned, maybe they are a franchise operation and run their business as they see fit. In any event, if Tesla just says "drive it around to recalibrate" then avoid that auto glass company from here on out.

My thought was the $600 is purely revenue generation and the Model 3/Y do not need it as Tesla designed recalibration to be a driver settings option.

They insist that since they now have special software that does it and will only replace the windshield if they recalibrate. When I explained the Model 3's driver option, they said their calibration is to make sure the camera is not looking too far up or down. Sounded like BS at best. At worst they were charging the extra service to verify they installed the windshield and reconnected the camera module correctly.

When I explained that they replaced this windshield a little more than a year ago and didn't have the extra fee, they said they didn't have the special software then. When I showed the Model 3 Owners Manual about recalibration after a windshield replacement, they agreed to waive the fee this one time but I'd have to sign a form stating I refused their recalibration. If I needed another windshield, I will be charge the recalibration fee.

This is not a franchise. They repair. They replace. I talked with national HQ - this is their national policy.

They insist they do this to all the Model 3/Y that they handle. Since most of their work is through insurance, I suspect they are padding the bill or practicing insurance fraud (billing for a service that is not needed) as a national practice. I suspect..but was unsure, so I wanted to post here to see if anyone had anything official from Tesla about this issue.

Reactions: 3Volts2aTes
Once upon a time this may have been true, but not since Tesla added Camera Calibration to the menu. So it seems to me either they are ignorant, or as you noted they are padding the bill / practicing insurance fraud. If insurance is paying for this tell you should tell the insurance company what is going on. The repair shop may find themselves off many insurance companies approved vendors list.

Reactions: Pkmmte
I think this was the answer:

yeah, I caught that (I am sure deliberate) statement by the OP.

I still am advising OP that they should be looking at doing this directly through tesla, vs going through "they repair, they replace". With all those stipulations, if "anything" at all is not lined up properly, and the cameras do not work (not unheard of) they are going to blame "but we didnt calibrate the cameras for $600, and you signed a waiver, see?:

Use a credit card and go through tesla, and then bill your insurance. The cost is likely going to be very similar to "they repair, they replace" (tesla usually has someone come on site to their SCs to do it, actually).

The reason I am 100% sure about Tesla and the calibration, is that I actually had glass coverage on my model 3 when this happened as I was with one of the few CA insurers who offered "100% coverage for glass, no deductible". The insurance company sent me a specific document on what I needed to fill out, etc, and had a specific section on "camera calibration" (not just for teslas, plenty of other cars have cameras there).

Since tesla doesnt work with insurance, I wanted to be sure I followed whatever process to get reimbursed for the camera calibration. I called the tesla SC where I was getting the windshield done, and they told me what I said in my first post "We dont calibrate cameras or charge for that". What I neglected to say is that they also said (when I picked up the car), that "We dont calibrate the cameras because we found owners dont want us driving around their cars to do it".

That was a tesla employee at a tesla SC. Now, tesla employees are not infallible, but in this case, I believe them. Total cost (in Southern California, one of the more expensive places for Labor charges) it was like $980 "out the door", including part and labor (and tax).

Others report cheaper in other places in the country (labor charge is less, part is the same). I struggle to think "they repair, they replace" is significantly cheaper, especially when they are trying to ring OP up for $600 for camera calibration, not counting windshield, or installation of windshield.

This sort of thing is why I didnt try to go third party replacement on the windshield in the first place.

In Florida your windshield is covered by insurance. Have it replaced by Tesla, pay up front, and have the insurance company reimburse as I did. No hassles!

Reactions: calidreamz808
Tesla replaced mine. Fully paid by insurance. Insurance company tried to steer me to Safelite but said I could have it done elsewhere so I got the authorization number and gave that to Tesla. I did not have to pay up front.

I believe that is because is a liability issue. In case you get into a car accident and because of the recalibration. But at the same time I feel like they don't realize that Tesla have an option to recalibrate the sensor by user just by driving the car. So overall I say is just that they aren't fully aware of that.