Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 with 400 mile range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think there's a sweet spot or an ideal range. Most people probably won't ever need more than 300 miles. But as noted above, there are places where you'd need much more. There are also routes other than the major highways, where as yet there are no superchargers, though fast DC charging is growing slowly, and will continue to grow for people with cars other than Teslas.

Most families have more than one car, but don't need more than one road-trip car. It's silly to have two cars that can go 700 miles when only one would ever be the road trip car and the other is only used as a commuter car. This is why there will always be a market for different battery sizes, unless and until we transition to something other than batteries.

I think most of the research if in the direction of cost reduction and weight.
Yes this will make bigger batteries possible but at some point, how much
is enough. ICE cars could also make bigger gas tanks but it somewhat makes
no sense. How much do want to pay for 400mile of 500mile model 3 and would it be
better to have a model 3 now at 20% off.

I doubt it. I think the Model S will get 400 miles first.

I agree!

With the Model S sales slumping, but that could be that everyone likes the Model 3, I would assume that Elon would focus on doing a refresh on the Model S.

The Model 3 range options are on point with most ICE cars on average!

Now that he has the capacitor company Tesla merged/bought, I am sure they are trying to increase the range and bring battery costs down!

i'm sure 90% tesla owners would really love a battery to last 400-500 miles no matter what the cost and time to recharge is

I'm quite sure you're wrong - most of us would not prefer 400-500 "no matter what the cost and time to recharge."

I have a Model 3 with 300 range. I recently took a 1000 mile trip.

The battery charges faster when it's low. Topping up past 150 takes longer and longer. I found I preferred to drive 60 to 90 miles and take a short break at a charger (when I first plug in, it's getting 500 miles per hour, 8.3 miles per minute. In ten or eleven minutes, I'm refilled those 90 miles and can drive another hour and a half. It's just enough time to get a coffee and /or rest break.)

I don't want to drive 3 hours per leg... And if I did, the break to refill would not be double the 11 minutes. It would be more than that, because the rate of charge slows down as the battery gets full.

The current battery is close to perfect for me. I would not pay an extra dime for a bigger battery out of any necessity. If the bigger battery is slower to charge, or costs me more to charge, there's no way I buy it unless it's discounted relative to my current fast-charging battery, regardless the extra range.

I'm quite sure you're wrong - most of us would not prefer 400-500 "no matter what the cost and time to recharge."

I have a Model 3 with 300 range. I recently took a 1000 mile trip.

The battery charges faster when it's low. Topping up past 150 takes longer and longer. I found I preferred to drive 60 to 90 miles and take a short break at a charger (when I first plug in, it's getting 500 miles per hour, 8.3 miles per minute. In ten or eleven minutes, I'm refilled those 90 miles and can drive another hour and a half. It's just enough time to get a coffee and /or rest break.)

I don't want to drive 3 hours per leg... And if I did, the break to refill would not be double the 11 minutes. It would be more than that, because the rate of charge slows down as the battery gets full.

The current battery is close to perfect for me. I would not pay an extra dime for a bigger battery out of any necessity. If the bigger battery is slower to charge, or costs me more to charge, there's no way I buy it unless it's discounted relative to my current fast-charging battery, regardless the extra range.

Your just not a road warrior so it wouldn't fit in for you but there are a lot of us that like driving hard and fast dawn till dusk

Yes, if it can be charged in 5-10 minutes.

If they retain the ability to have high speed charging to 50% then the total charge speed doesn’t really matter. If you have a 500 mile range and can charge to 250 miles in 15-20 minutes then it'll be much less of a factor. Not sure if that speed scales up with denser batteries so can’t say for sure that’s possible, but if it is then it will change the equation a lot. And if they can get the max range up to 700-800 miles while retaining this ability then it's not an issue at all.

Yes, if it can be charged in 5-10 minutes.

I don't know where you travel but when I head upstate for a 200 mile hunting trip I want to hunt not look for a power source I travel the back roads and burn a lot of miles doing it time is a factor sometimes I travel back and forth in the same day I don't even shut off the car when filling up in my travels Try and find a power station in the middle of nowhere time is a factor for me

Reactions: Manitoba Keith
When would we see a Tesla model 3 with 400+ miles range? 2020?

Why?
It would just be heavier, have worse consumption, and cost more money!!

I would not pay a penny more for longer range at the expense of weight and efficiency.
I would, however, pay 4-figures more for rapid charging, that would bring EVs closer to parity with gas-station refilling times.

If the government were to end the subsidies to fossil fuels, gasoline would be so expensive that people would realize that 300 miles of range is plenty.

That argument makes no logical sense, whatsoever.
But since you brought it up - would you mind enumerating and quantifying the nebulous government "subsidies to fossil fuels"? How much above $3.50/gallon would the gas cost without your subsidies?

Just curious...