Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 with run flat?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So do all 3 tire variations offered in the model 3 have this pad?

Yes, all current Tesla tires, no matter the model, size or manufacturer come equipped with the run-silent foam pad. As far as Costco Tire Centers are concerned, they're known for damaging wheels beyond repair. As far as run flats, they're a PAIN to install and replace. Besides I don't believe you can retrofit them onto non-RunFlat Tesla wheels.

Yes, all current Tesla tires, no matter the model, size or manufacturer come equipped with the run-silent foam pad. As far as Costco Tire Centers are concerned, they're known for damaging wheels beyond repair. As far as run flats, they're a PAIN to install and replace. Besides I don't believe you can retrofit them onto non-RunFlat Tesla wheels.

There's no such thing as a "run flat" vs a "non run flat" wheel. A wheel is a wheel and you can run run-flat tires on any car you want to.

It's worth pointing out though that run-flat tires are much stiffer than regular tires and vehicles that come from the factory with run flats will have suspension tuned for those tires.

There's no such thing as a "run flat" vs a "non run flat" wheel. A wheel is a wheel and you can run run-flat tires on any car you want to. It's worth pointing out though that run-flat tires are much stiffer than regular tires and vehicles that come from the factory with run flats will have suspension tuned for those tires.

Yeah, that's why I said "I believe" but a quick google search leaves some doubt... Most use Support Rings attached to the inside of the wheel not just reinforced sidewalls. That "extra hump" in the TireRack forum (see blow) is to help the wheel endure greater stresses when riding without air. That "extra hump" also helps smooth out the ride when the hard Run-Flat pad is engaged onto the inner surface.

Screen Shot 2019-02-21 at 3.30.52 PM.png
Q: Can I install regular tires on Run-Flat wheels? The short answer: Yes. Run-flat tires and regular tires that are the same numeric size will have the same physical dimensions, and can fit properly on the same size wheels. The only difference with run-flat wheels is they usually have an extra hump behind the bead seat.

Yeah, that's why I said "I believe" but a quick google search leaves some doubt... Most use Support Rings attached to the inside of the wheel not just reinforced sidewalls. That "extra hump" in the TireRack forum (see blow) is to help the wheel endure greater stresses when riding without air. That "extra hump" also helps smooth out the ride when the hard Run-Flat pad is engaged onto the inner surface.

View attachment 379374
Q: Can I install regular tires on Run-Flat wheels? The short answer: Yes. Run-flat tires and regular tires that are the same numeric size will have the same physical dimensions, and can fit properly on the same size wheels. The only difference with run-flat wheels is they usually have an extra hump behind the bead seat.

It sounds like the "hump" (which I've never seen on wheels I've worked with) is just to improve the tire seating with run flats since the interior of the run flat has more surface contact with the wheel than you have with a traditional tire. As the article says you can still put run-flats on your regular rims if you want to.

Now the real question is why someone would want to put over-priced hard-as-a-rock run flats (that in many cases can't be repaired if they have even a small puncture) on a car that doesn't have the suspension tuned for them.

It sounds like the "hump" (which I've never seen on wheels I've worked with) is just to improve the tire seating with run flats since the interior of the run flat has more surface contact with the wheel than you have with a traditional tire. As the article says you can still put run-flats on your regular rims if you want to.

Now the real question is why someone would want to put over-priced hard-as-a-rock run flats (that in many cases can't be repaired if they have even a small puncture) on a car that doesn't have the suspension tuned for them.

Agreed! (BTW, the TireRack post does not say "you can still put run-flats on your regular rims if you want to." It asks, "Can I install regular tires on Run-Flat wheels?" not Run-Flat tire on regular wheels.

Agreed! (BTW, the TireRack post does not say "you can still put run-flats on your regular rims if you want to." It asks, "Can I install regular tires on Run-Flat wheels?" not Run-Flat tire on regular wheels.

This thread kind of backs up my recollection;

https://www.quora.com/Is-there-any-difference-between-rims-for-run-flat-tires-and-regular-tires

Which is that you can put run flats on any rim.... although perhaps it's more about all rims being compatible now, not 100% sure. Run flats have never gotten a lot of traction in the market and there are reasons for that.

This thread kind of backs up my recollection;

https://www.quora.com/Is-there-any-difference-between-rims-for-run-flat-tires-and-regular-tires

Which is that you can put run flats on any rim.... although perhaps it's more about all rims being compatible now, not 100% sure. Run flats have never gotten a lot of traction in the market and there are reasons for that.

Agreed, even if they are cross compatible, I wouldn't touch Run-Flats for all the money in the world... as they do suck! ... lol

Last edited:
Reactions: voip-ninja
Here's a pix of the Frunk cover (with handle) I mentioned earlier. I fashioned it from a piece of black FoamCore by first making a template out of cardboard. It protects the under-hood if something were to come loose from my Emergency Roadside Frunk Kit (please see earlier post). Its real easy to make. I plan to clear coat the top and bottom surfaces using a satin clear sealant to help make it water resistant.

Screen Shot 2019-02-26 at 6.44.31 PM.png

Reactions: iwannam3
Not sure why all the hate on run flats -- I have had them (michelin) and they were just fine, repaired easily and the local tire shop had no issue with installs.. I had several sets that had far better traction and smooth ride than the Goodyear OEMs.
If Michelin had them for my 3 they would have been on in a heartbeat.
There are 10s of thousands of Corvettes with them and the normal users seem just fine. ( the total performance folks will weigh in with the usual corner cases where near everything has some fatal flaw :) )

Not sure why all the hate on run flats -- I have had them (michelin) and they were just fine, repaired easily and the local tire shop had no issue with installs.. I had several sets that had far better traction and smooth ride than the Goodyear OEMs.
If Michelin had them for my 3 they would have been on in a heartbeat.
There are 10s of thousands of Corvettes with them and the normal users seem just fine. ( the total performance folks will weigh in with the usual corner cases where near everything has some fatal flaw :) )

Run flats are not very efficient... they are a much heavier set-up and thus it reduces overall performance, lengthens braking distances, turn in cornering suffers, road noise increases, and most of all they will therefore reduce battery range. Not widely known (but not necessarily needed) there is also an extra reinforced ridge built into every OEM Run-Flat wheel. Non Run-Flat wheels can be retrofitted with run-flat tires but run-flat tire manufacturers warn against it. Sure they will work, but so would a real spare tire, or an emergency roadside kit, because the green-goo set up is unreliable, and destroys any usefulness left in the silent run Tesla equipped tires as it cannot be removed from the inner pad (unless you rip it out and repair the tire from the inside) which also voids warranty. (Please Note: Using the Tesla Green Slime kit also voids tire warranties) Which one is best will be end-user determined.

Last edited:
If used on a car tuned for them, they are just OK... On a vehicle not tuned for them, they ride terribly. In any event, due to the cost, the ride, and the fact that they have to be replaced when run flat, I have absolutely no interest in them!

Not sure why all the hate on run flats -- I have had them (michelin) and they were just fine, repaired easily and the local tire shop had no issue with installs..

i was told by my orientation person (a tesla employee) that my aero wheels were run flat tires. I had not heard this and assume he was wrong since I knew a lot more about the car than he did in general.
I remember ordering the run flat tires for my 2018 3 LR. I hit a bad pothole and was able to drive a mile or so. Now the sales people in the showroom are telling me that they have never offered a run flat tire. I can't find the tire model number on google. anybody else?