Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 (wood trim)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wood in itself isnt so bad but the customer should have a choice of wood finish, for example - Burr Walnut, leather etc and it could look a lot more classy but that horrible light wood they fit looks like a B&Q chipboard laminate panel --fugly.

Choose the white interior and you get a white panel - but again i think the dash trim should be a customer selected finish, its only clip on - how hard could it be?

However, the car is utterly brilliant in so many respects that a few foibles of American taste (sorry to include taste and Americans in the same sentence) can be exchanged for something you prefer - and most of us like to personalise our cars

I like the wood trim. Certainly better than carbon fibre (or worse still fake carbon fibre).
I ordered the white interior and the wood is replaced with brilliant white with white accents in the door panels. The white is soooo bright it renders the side view mirrors useless on a sunny day. First order of business was to replace the white with carbon fiber vinyl. I haver gotten several compliments that that is the way it should come from factory, including a comment from Mobile Service asking if 'Tesla is offering that as an option now.' My floor mats have a carbon fiber look too so it compliments. Eye of the beholder I suppose.

I ordered the white interior and the wood is replaced with brilliant white with white accents in the door panels. The white is soooo bright it renders the side view mirrors useless on a sunny day. First order of business was to replace the white with carbon fiber vinyl. I haver gotten several compliments that that is the way it should come from factory, including a comment from Mobile Service asking if 'Tesla is offering that as an option now.' My floor mats have a carbon fiber look too so it compliments. Eye of the beholder I suppose.

Good quality "real" carbon weave can look great ... but there's cheap looking stuff around that is to be avoided! I may eventually do that on the console if/when the shiny piano black gets sufficiently scratched up.

Interesting topic about the wood trim. I was discussing something similar with an Audi sales person and they said that they change the trim based on each market. Wood is very popular in some territories but typically not in Europe. I guess the difference with Tesla is that their cars are basically the same in all territories.

I assume you cannot buy the white dash part separately from Tesla?

1.. How many cars can you name that have wood trim on the dash (there's a reason for that)
2. How many of those cars that do have wood trim on the dash are walnut veneer and how many are plastic replica oak?

Plastic replica wood trim is cheap and 'tacky'
I vaguely recall seeing somewhere where someone was complaining of the wood cracking. The photo they provided looked like wood. On that basis I don't think it's plastic.

I couldn’t go with white because on the test drive my son complained it “broke his brain”.

Agree that it’s such a subjective thing. Personally I don’t like Carbon Fibre anywhere inside a car. Alcantara can look nice, but I wouldn’t want it dark. Stainless steel can look great, as can wood, if a little old fashioned.

After having a TVR most car interiors look fairly bland.

My only regret having sprung for the white interior is that I've not wore jeans once* in the car since getting it. It's chinos, shorts and linen trousers now whenever I'm planning to go out at some point that day.

I'm aware you can probably get blue jeans dye out of the seats, but I'd rather not risk it. Also, I doubt it comes out of the stitching.

I'm willing to accept that I'm a bit OCD though. :)

* I had to get in and move the car once when a mobile service tech was there, because I felt too embarassed to have to say that I needed to go in and get changed to do it.

Reactions: Doudeau
I took a look on YouTube last evening and I was amazed at the number of clips of the various ways people / companies have come up with to replace / cover the wood strip . . . . 'the writing's on the wall'

I’m obviously in the minority here…I really like the fake wood trim, reminds me (in a good retro way) of 1970’s Japanese cars.

in fact, I was going to opt for the white interior (and blue outside) but you couldn’t get the wood with the white seats so I saved my money and went with the standard black interior.

just goes to show we all have different tastes.

I do agree though that more choice of trim wouldn’t go amiss