Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Explanation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have heard that better than 75% of the reservations for Model 3 are from people new to Tesla. Since that is the case can one of you Tesla vets fill the rest of us in on the differences between the models? I know the performance differences but I was wondering what makes those differences possible. Maybe compare a 90D, P90D and P90DL. At least that will give us newbies an idea of what we will be getting for the money when the time comes to configure.

Thanks,

Dan

97% new to tesla.

Models + Kilowatt battery rating + Dual motors/AWD + Optional Ludacris.

S75 base Model S. S85 base Model S with bigger battery. S85D dual motors and bigger battery. S90DL Model S big bat & Ludacris.
swap in X below
X

Three will have different sizes of batteries.

I think the changes can be summarized as follows:

70: single large motor
70D: two small motors, with total power greater than the battery can provide, enabling full battery power to be used
90D: larger battery provides more energy for range, and more power to enable the full power of the two motors
P90D: rear motor is replaced with a high performance version of the large motor used in the 70, enabling the full power of the large 90 kWh battery
P90DL: the battery is modified with a smart fuse and iconel contactors to provide more power, but is still the limiting factor

GSP

The D at the end means dual motor, if it lacks the D, it's rear wheel drive. Currently only the 70/75 is offered with rear wheel drive, but all the early Model Ss were rear wheel drive only. They introduced the dual motor version in late 2014.

The P is the performance model and it's somewhat more expensive. It has little difference from the 90D except for a larger rear motor and different firmware installed. The P90DL has the Ludicrous upgrade which gives the maximum acceleration of any Tesla (1.1gs, 0-60 in 2.8s). The P90DL is very popular with people who like to do drag racing with street cars and YouTube is full of them.

There is no P75DL, because of the smaller battery capacity in the 70/75, the cars are software limited to lower performance than the 90 KWh battery cars. Though wk057 (here on the forum) who has taken apart a number of wrecked Teslas and has learned a lot about how they work has said the 70D/75D and the 90D are identical except for the battery and software. Put in a 90 KWh battery and the 90D software and a 70D or 75D becomes a 90D.

The 70 is in the process of transitioning to the 75 right now. They haven't built any Model Xs with 70 batteries and all 70s delivered today have 75 KWh batteries that can be upgraded with a call to Tesla and $3000. I suspect they will drop the 70 KWh battery in a few months. They did that with the 85->90 KWh battery. It was a paid upgrade for about 8 months and they finally dropped the 85 and only offered the 90 earlier this year.

Other than never building a 70 KWh Model X, the batteries and drive components are identical between the S and the X. They had different chargers modules for a while, but the S got the Model X charger in April of this year.

I'm not so sure about that. SpaceX has 5000 employees and Tesla has 13,000. The Model 3 has over 400,000 reservations. If every SpaceX and Tesla employee reserved two cars each, that would account for 9% of the total reservations. In reality it probably isn't more than 5% of all reservations.

I think it's pretty safe to say at least 90% of the reservations for Model 3s are people who are not current Tesla owners and are not employees.

Tesla and SpaceX are still small companies.

The 97% includes a lot of Tesla and SpaceX employees who don't own an S or X.

Just to clarify 93% are new to Tesla not 97%. Of course this number is a moving target so it will change as time goes on.

"Answering to Dougherty & Co’s Charlie Anderson’s question regarding Model 3 reservation holders, Tesla Global President of Sales & Service Jon McNeil revealed that 93% of the customers have never previously had any interaction with Tesla. Thus, merely 7% of the reservations, which stand at about 400,000, are Tesla Roadster/Model S/Model X/ owners."
Tesla Motors, Inc. (NASDAQ:TSLA): 93% Of Model 3 Reservations Holders Are New To Tesla

There's much more to this forum than the model 3 section. 95% or more of model S owners here will never see this question.

If you want more visibility then ask this in the S section. Or you could save their time and yours by going to google.

Maybe compare a 90D, P90D and P90DL.

@wdolson gave a good answer.

But to give you a short answer
90D = fast, all-wheel drive, longest-range vehicle Tesla currently makes.
P90D = comparing to a 90D it's even faster (1.1 seconds faster 0-60), shorter range (you lose 24 miles of range), but $20k more.
P90DL = comparing to a P90D it's even faster (0.3 seconds faster 0-60), but an additional $10k more.