Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model LS V8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is the weirdest and most impractical proposal I've ever heard. You're going to wedge an LS4, and a transmission, and a radiator, and another battery, and a fuel tank in the frunk of a Model S? And then somehow rig up the control system so the gas pedal controls both the LS4 and the rear electric motor? Have you even looked at the sizes of the car or the components you're talking about? How would you ever make the controls work?
Yep, impractical, but fun! If you look up a LS4 its a compact V8 package that is wedged into a much smaller car than a Model S. I'm trying to find someone who can get me some dimensions on the LS4. So far no luck.

1617934688137.png

Two batteries instead, pretty please?

He's just enjoying the attention he's getting.

405-Blades-of-Glory-quotes.gif

He pitched the same idea in 2017 on this forum and that only got 2 pages.

He's just enjoying the attention he's getting.

405-Blades-of-Glory-quotes.gif

He pitched the same idea in 2017 on this forum and that only got 2 pages.

LOL of course. Good find.

Against my better judgement, I'm responding. Truly I think this thread should just die, since now it seems like a ploy for attention. Nobody's getting upset, they're just against your idea.

I believe EV's would be adopted quicker if they built cars like this.

This is just silly. Major auto has been making hybrids for many years, and they've gained very little traction. Now that we have viable EVs, you're proposing that you're going to take one and bring it *backwards* (technologically) and turn it into a hybrid in your own garage, and that will somehow increase the adoption rate of EVs. Electric vehicles don't need you to do this to speed up their adoption.

Ask any teenager what kind of car they want to own... they'll all say Tesla. In a decade, they'll be drivers and income generating consumers. In a decade, Tesla's lowest price vehicle will be comparable to current ICE. In a decade, more new vehicle sales will be EV than ICE. Government regulation is on the side of EV. Consumer will is on the side of EV. Even major auto has now already committed to converting to EV.

Against my better judgement, I'm responding. Truly I think this thread should just die, since now it seems like a ploy for attention. Nobody's getting upset, they're just against your idea.

This is just silly. Major auto has been making hybrids for many years, and they've gained very little traction. Now that we have viable EVs, you're proposing that you're going to take one and bring it *backwards* (technologically) and turn it into a hybrid in your own garage, and that will somehow increase the adoption rate of EVs. Electric vehicles don't need you to do this to speed up their adoption.

Ask any teenager what kind of car they want to own... they'll all say Tesla. In a decade, they'll be drivers and income generating consumers. In a decade, Tesla's lowest price vehicle will be comparable to current ICE. In a decade, more new vehicle sales will be EV than ICE. Government regulation is on the side of EV. Consumer will is on the side of EV. Even major auto has now already committed to converting to EV.
Well your really overstating my intent. I'm doing this because this is roughly what I think a performance car should be today. The best of both worlds. Not to change the world.

So after I made the last post, I did some research and there is a hybrid Corvette in the works.

Listen, I love Teslas. I love gas cars. I hate being tethered to a charger. From my perspective, this makes total sense.

Porsche performance and Prius economy.

It appears General motors agrees.

For the record, my teenage son wants a 350Z. The first car he drove was a Model S.

But you don't mind being tethered to a gas station?
Don’t get me wrong, OP’s plan here is perfectly bonkers in terms of creating a useful and economical means of transport - but this comparison is completely nonsensical. Nobody is “tethered” to a gas station. They are ubiquitous, universal, and can completely fill literally any gasoline powered vehicle to the brim in less than 10 minutes.

Pretending this isn’t a major convenience that our entire society takes for granted without ever thinking of does nobody any favors.

Reactions: TesTowne
But you don't mind being tethered to a gas station? Your home has an electric charging station, but doesn't have an oil well... and for some reason you're concerned about owning a car that runs on electricity instead of gas.
Gas stations are everywhere. Granted superchargers are plentiful, but they are still a long way from being as convenient as a gas station. Teslas are great, a hybrid Tesla will be greater!

Don’t get me wrong, OP’s plan here is perfectly bonkers in terms of creating a useful and economical means of transport - but this comparison is completely nonsensical. Nobody is “tethered” to a gas station. They are ubiquitous, universal, and can completely fill literally any gasoline powered vehicle to the brim in less than 10 minutes.

Pretending this isn’t a major convenience that our entire society takes for granted without ever thinking of does nobody any favors.
You said it much better than I could have. Except the bonkers part. Why is it bonkers if charging is a major inconvenience?

Last edited:
Oops. Got caught up in the good part. Though I can see why Tesla lovers woyld get upset. That said,.... Why is it bonkers if being tethered to a charging station is a major inconvenience?
Whether you feel like you are tethered to charging stations is partially a personal emotion and also related to the availability of superchargers. For me, where I live, and how I drive, I do not feel inconvenienced in the slightest. I would not want your mod.

What I think is bonkers with your plan is that you *think* you can relatively easily marry the two completely different systems together. I think you will find it almost impossible to do, and I suspect that the different forces on the two axles will make the car unsafe, and have a very poor MPG/EMPG.

Far better would be to add a generator. While you would need to make modifications, most of the hardware and software you would need is already there. The car already has hardware to recharge the battery pack while slowing down or going down a steep slope. I don't know how you would make the change, but I think tricking the car into allowing recharging at the same time that it is feeding power to the motor would be far simpler than what you propose.

Last edited:
Whether you feel like you are tethered to charging stations is partially a personal emotion and also related to the availability of superchargers. For me, where I live, and how I drive, I do not feel inconvenienced in the slightest. I would not want your mod.

What I think is bonkers with your plan is your thought that you *think* you can relatively easily marry the two completely different systems together. I think you will find it almost impossible to do, and I suspect that the different forces on the two axles will make the car unsafe, and have a very poor MPG/EMPG.

Far better would be to add a generator. While you would need to make modifications, most of the hardware and software you would need is already there. The car already has hardware to recharge the battery pack while slowing down or going down a steep slope. I don't know how you would make the change, but I think tricking the car into allowing recharging at the same time that it is feeding power to the motor would be far simpler than what you propose.
Not emotion. Fact for me and my driving habits. Too much time wasted on road trips when I really want the time.
I do not intend to marry the systems together. They will act independently. The road will marry them if you will.
I'm not concerned about safety here. This will put more control of the car in my hands, not the computers. One more feather in my cap for doing this.

You said it much better than I could have. Except the bonkers part. Why is it bonkers if charging is a major inconvenience?
Because I don't think charging is a "major inconvenience." It certainly isn't for me.

Yes, for some edge use cases EVs aren't there yet. Regularly traveling hundreds of miles in a day for work in the field, visiting multiple locations, sometimes off the beaten path, etc etc etc - yeah, I don't think EVs are the right tool for that job yet when "time is money". If this was the problem I was solving for, I'd probably buy a plug-in hybrid (which again, is basically what you're describing building in a Frankenstein sort of way ;) ).

I've put 120,000 miles on a Model S in 4 years. Most of it in a round trip ~100 mile commute where I leave with a "full tank" every morning, plug back in when I get home, and never think about charging at all. The exact opposite of "major inconvenience".

We've also done a few big road trips all over the Western US. Even in my relatively short range by modern standards "about 200 miles real world range" Model S, driving 400-600 miles a day, I'd not call charging a "major inconvenience" when it comes to leisure travel. I need to stop every couple hundred miles anyway, and even if I didn't need to, my kids sure as sugar would. So we stop at chargers, empty our bladders, get some food, stretch our legs, whatevs. To be fair, I did eat a lot more Carl's Jr (what you east coasters call Hardees) than I would have otherwise - pretty much every supercharger in the rural southwest is at a Carl's Jr - but again that's really only moderate abdominal distress... not "major inconvenience". ;)

Reactions: gavine and DavidB
Not emotion. Fact for me and my driving habits. Too much time wasted on road trips when I really want the time.
I do not intend to marry the systems together. They will act independently. The road will marry them if you will.
I'm not concerned about safety here. This will put more control of the car in my hands, not the computers. One more feather in my cap for doing this.
If you can do it, more power to you. I'm willing to bet that you can't.
Wouldn't it be easier to start from a RWD Tesla? You could add the LS4 to front and keep most of Tesla systems untouched.
Yes, it would be far easier to start from a RWD Tesla. To do otherwise you would have to trick the car into driving even though it is reading major faults with the front drive unit.
All in, I'd bet you 30k you CANT do it for 30k.
Likewise. This mod, as you propose doing it, would be extremely difficult and would cost far more than 30k.

Because I don't think charging is a "major inconvenience." It certainly isn't for me.

Yes, for some edge use cases EVs aren't there yet. Regularly traveling hundreds of miles in a day for work in the field, visiting multiple locations, sometimes off the beaten path, etc etc etc - yeah, I don't think EVs are the right tool for that job yet when "time is money". If this was the problem I was solving for, I'd probably buy a plug-in hybrid (which again, is basically what you're describing building in a Frankenstein sort of way ;) ).

I've put 120,000 miles on a Model S in 4 years. Most of it in a round trip ~100 mile commute where I leave with a "full tank" every morning, plug back in when I get home, and never think about charging at all. The exact opposite of "major inconvenience".

We've also done a few big road trips all over the Western US. Even in my relatively short range by modern standards "about 200 miles real world range" Model S, driving 400-600 miles a day, I'd not call charging a "major inconvenience" when it comes to leisure travel. I need to stop every couple hundred miles anyway, and even if I didn't need to, my kids sure as sugar would. So we stop at chargers, empty our bladders, get some food, stretch our legs, whatevs. To be fair, I did eat a lot more Carl's Jr (what you east coasters call Hardees) than I would have otherwise - pretty much every supercharger in the rural southwest is at a Carl's Jr - but again that's really only moderate abdominal distress... not "major inconvenience". ;)
I have done the same. The kids love it and I'm less tired at the end of the day. EV's are great for day to day driving, I won't argue that either.
But... In the end you can't deny that charging, and getting to a charger is more time consuming than getting to a gas station and filling up with gas.

If you can do it, more power to you. I'm willing to bet that you can't.

Yes, it would be far easier to start from a RWD Tesla. To do otherwise you would have to trick the car into driving even though it is reading major faults with the front drive unit.

Likewise. This mod, as you propose doing it, would be extremely difficult and would cost far more than 30k.
It can be done, and I will do it. It's just a matter of time.

RWD is on the table, and you might be right. It might be easier to just add FWD structure. But I'm betting this will just be a matter of wiring and changing the cars config. Since they have made both FWD and RWD cars at the same time, my guess is the wiring is very similar, if not the same with a few jumpers to let it know that there isn't a front motor.

$15k for salvage Tesla
$5k for parts to fix salvage Tesla
$3k for salvage donor car with LS4 drivetrain.
-$3k for sale of front motor.
$10k max for fabrication and miscellaneous costs
$30k TOTAL

I guess I should take that bet right?

• Funny
Reactions: IslandHydro