Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S —> Model 3 : Any regrets?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MJP.P3D-

Supporting Member
Apr 18, 2016
Texas
Hi. I’m a 3+ year owner of a Model S and love it however I am considering a trade to a Model 3. I won’t go into “why” as its a longer story than any of you will likely want however I’d love to know if any of you have made the switch to a 3 from an S? If yes, are you thrilled? Is there anything you miss? Would you do it again? In short, I’m on the fence and would love to hear from owners who’ve made a similar transition.... Thanks in advance.

Reactions: JetSpeed and JBT66
I just went through this myself. I had a 2015 70D Model S (my first Tesla) that I got June of last year. I sold it private party via Craigslist and got a LR AWD Model 3 last month that had my ideal config (White on White w 19" Sport Wheels).

So far, I have no regrets. I had summon and autopark on my AP1 Model S and only have base AP on the Model 3 but it's not really an issue since I'm still debating on getting FSD. The Model 3 is more fun to drive for sure as it is more nimble.

Reactions: Brisket5652
^^^Thanks. Any issues with less cargo space and/or more road noise? Is there anything you miss about your prior S? My 2016 S has the air suspension which is great over our “lovely” Chicago roads but isn’t available on the 3...

Only been driving a loaner Model S for a couple days now, but I wouldn't trade my AWD Model 3 for it. Contrary to what I expected, I really like the [sole] center-mounted display, and the agility of the 3. As for the S, doesn't seem like there's any more interior space in the cabin, and some weird quirks like no pockets in the doors.

So far, the S75D loaner only has a few advantages I can see over my 3 -- 1) seems to have less road noise, 2) bigger/deeper frunk, 3) can't deny the convenience of the rear hatch for loading large items into the trunk.

Only been driving a loaner Model S for a couple days now, but I wouldn't trade my AWD Model 3 for it. Contrary to what I expected, I really like the [sole] center-mounted display, and the agility of the 3. As for the S, doesn't seem like there's any more interior space in the cabin, and some weird quirks like no pockets in the doors.

So far, the S75D loaner only has a few advantages I can see over my 3 -- 1) seems to have less road noise, 2) bigger/deeper frunk, 3) can't deny the convenience of the rear hatch for loading large items into the trunk.

I found the same thing exactly with my S75D loaner.

I traded my 70D for a P3D-
On the whole - the size, range and the tech are real advantages.
I do miss the S for road trips though.
Until the S gets a real refresh, I think it is an easy choice to follow up with a 3. Better value all around.

Last edited:
Like many here my experience of an S was as a loaner. I had a few... It seemed way more solid than the 3. The switch gear, everything had a hefty kind of feel. Felt higher quality as it should do. But that translates into handling, it felt more like driving a very fast cruise ship. I am used to driving a very slow cruise ship (1960s land yacht) but this just felt big. The interior seemed way bigger than the 3 in every way if that's important. Overall it felt like something a CEO would drive like a large Mercedes or BMW 7 series, whereas the 3 is more like the plucky sales champ, darting here and there. Of course I am not comparing the luxury or quality of the S to Mercedes or BMW, just the vibe.
I prefer the nimbleness and simplicity of the 3. The reduced frunk and trunk space could be an issue though I doubt that most S drivers use all that space anyway.

Went from 2013 S85 to 2015 S70D to 2018 3D. No regrets, love the 3, way better car than the S.

Had a loaner S recently while my 3 was getting a windshield replaced (rock on the highway) and the S felt old and outdated compared to the 3, I missed my car.

Have 3 small kids and just did a family Costco/Trader Joe’s run today with room to spare.

• Helpful
Reactions: ladysbff and Tforme
Like many here my experience of an S was as a loaner. I had a few... It seemed way more solid than the 3. The switch gear, everything had a hefty kind of feel. Felt higher quality as it should do. But that translates into handling, it felt more like driving a very fast cruise ship. I am used to driving a very slow cruise ship (1960s land yacht) but this just felt big. The interior seemed way bigger than the 3 in every way if that's important. Overall it felt like something a CEO would drive like a large Mercedes or BMW 7 series, whereas the 3 is more like the plucky sales champ, darting here and there. Of course I am not comparing the luxury or quality of the S to Mercedes or BMW, just the vibe.
I prefer the nimbleness and simplicity of the 3. The reduced frunk and trunk space could be an issue though I doubt that most S drivers use all that space anyway.

I would say it more like this: MS = Mercdes S Class. M3 = Porsche 911

Reactions: r1200gs4ok
I traded my 2016 S60D for a LR AWD 3 recently.

Pros of 3 (to me):
  • Interior is nicer and better laid out. The lack of internal storage in the S was ridiculous (no door pockets, center console was orgaanized badly) The minimalist interior of the 3 is really charming comparitively.
  • This car feels faster! I get nauseous if I floor the accelerater. But, I had the slowest S.
  • This car is smaller, much easier to get around the city in it, park it, get it in and out of my garage. This was a major thing for me. Tthe S drove smaller than it is but is truly a large car.
  • Tech is much better in this car, but they probably have spruced up the S by now as well.
Cons of the 3 (to me):

• The S cornered better. That's probably a reflection of the 18" tires I have now, but this thing doesn't hug the road the same way
  • The S had a smoother ride overall, it felt more luxurious
  • Lugagge space is much smaller in the 3- I could get 4 guys with our hockey gear in the S. I think three will be a challenge in the model 3. Can't have it all though, I like the smaller frame of the 3.
  • I don't notice a lot of road noise comparatively. It's probably a bit louder in the cabin, but not bothersome to me.
  • Miminalist interior is good, but I wish there was a second screen for the spedometer. The center screen is just a bit small because 1/3 of it is taken up by the spedometer etc...
  • I know I'm going to miss the heated steering wheel come winter time!

If I had to do it again I might get the performance model 3. I would like the bigger tires/rims, but then again I live in Chicago, would probably blow out one tire annually with the P3D.

Having said all that, I lease my cars (business car), so every car is just a 3 year adventure, nothing permanent. I like it that way.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
I drove an S for two years (plus my wife had one for 5 years), then I switched to a 3 almost a year and a half ago.

The short of it is that the 3 is better around town, but the S is better on road trips. In my case (where my wife has an X I can borrow if I need more space or we are taking a road trip), I am glad I switched to a 3. But if it was our only Tesla, I would wish I had stuck with the S.

I recently wrote a detailed comparison of Tesla model differences HERE.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
OP best to think about how you used your car in the past and how you might still use down the road. We have both models and I’m in agreement with the points people have made. I drive my Model 3 as a regular driver but recently shared driving our Model S 2017 75D w/SAS on a roadtrip. Super smooth on the road, way faster than I remembered. Found myself over 90 down by Bradley on 101S and was shocked (I never drive that fast). Effortless and solid on the road. We had it uncorked and so not sure what the 0 to 60 was rated at at that point. I have no doubt I would have realized my speed way sooner in my Model 3.

As for storage space here’s a funny illustration. Our MS could fit a 9 ft T-Rex from Home Depot (almost accommodated the box for it too) but no way could I have fit all its parts in my Model 3 in the trunk/folded down back seat area. The MS’s hatch and deeper cargo area really made a difference. The rib cage I don’t think it would have fit through the Model 3’s rear door. You can see the MS steering wheel just beyond the T-Rex showing how it took up all the second row and back space. Not everyone will be transporting a dino in their car but that liftgate sure can make the difference in whether you need to rent a van or can use your MS.

8F62EF75-F0B6-4694-BE68-D0C5235FD5D0.jpeg EB9214BD-D116-4647-9746-A6F4A26B1368.jpeg

Unless you absolutely need the extra space afforded by the S, easy decision. 3 performance all the way.

I pissed off a lot of S owners calling the 3 would annihilate the S to the point that Tesla would discontinue the base versions.

Over a year later my predictions were 100 percent correct. Don’t see them undoing their disagrees after the fact but I’m more about being right than popular. ;)

Beyond the nimbleness, the 3 gets all the toys and is all of Tesla’s focus at least until the Y which is just a taller 3 anyway.

For traveling, the S burns more KW than the 3 per mile, and charges significantly slower as well.

It’s not even a question really on the better value minus edge cases like I have a giant dog that doesn’t fit in a 3 or something like that.

I’ve been around long enough to know that FUSC coming back to the S is a trap.

I’m not touching another S or X unless it has a landscape screen (that doesn’t yellow I bet ) We know it’s on the way no matter what Elon says.

Last edited:
Had a 2016 P90D as a loaner. Much bigger car.

One big positive: MUCH quieter in the cabin. Road noise and wind noise both were nearly non-existant compared to our model 3s.

The S interior felt very outdated compared to the 3. A refresh has to be coming.

OP what model S and options do you have? You need to compare apples to apples as much as possible rather apples to oranges. New S vs used S vs new 3 vs used 3. So many options. Also, is the cost or non cost to switch a factor.

There is no right or wrong. We can’t tell you what works for YOU. Different tools for different jobs. OPs scenario is he already has an S. I agree 3 is a better car but it’s missing some luxuries. I moved from a p85 to rwd LR and miss the ride quality and storage and rear facing seats the most.

S advantages if equipped:
More trunks space
Hatchback and powered to boot
RFS
More passenger space
Easy door handles
Pano roof
Sub zero package. Heated steering and wipers
Air suspension
Free supercharging
Better seat bolsters
Styling (subjective)
LUDICROUS

Door pockets and small details like that is dumb. No door pocket gives you no option for drinks and accumulating crap you don’t need ;)

The world is your oyster.

Personally, one Tesla would be the S for my family as we (mostly I) is pretty active and more and better storage is better than the 3z. Roof rack options and RFS. I miss the S.

Off topic but I just watched the fully charged Taycan review sooo to sum it up Porsche is 5 years behind with no charging infrastructure. The S changed automobile history like the Model T.