TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model S 70D vs P85+

Discussion in 'Model S' started by smilepak, Jul 10, 2015.

1. smilepak

smilepak Member

#1 smilepak, Jul 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
    Just wanted to share my little observation for those who are curious, interested, or whatever reason. I recently purchased the Model S 70D, received it a few days ago but have to bring it back to service due to an Airbag Warning Light, they gave me a loaner P85+ to use. Other are welcome to can share their feedback.

My Car Model S 70D
    * Premium Package
    * Pano Roof
    * Deep Metallic Blue

Loaner Model S P85+
    * Premium Sound Upgrade
    * Multi Color Red
    * Pano Roof
    * Carbon Fiber Spoiler
    * 21" Tires

Driving
    • The first thing I noticed was road noise / engine noise. The 70D was extremely quiet, i can barely hear the high pitch sound of the engine. The P85+ at speed above 60 - 80, I do hear a fairly distinct engine roar. Initially I thought it was the truck next to me on the highway, but it was noticeable the entire 30+ miles trip.
    • The regenerative brakes on the 70D feel more hard. When releasing the gas on the 70D, the vehicle slow down quicker and often a bit jolt for those who are not familiar with this braking style. On the P85+, it is less. It slow down not as quick and I was able to cruise a bit further. I checked the setting and they both have it enabled.
    • The P85+ acceleration didn't seem a lot better than the 70D, must be me.
    • The P85+ came with the high/low suspension, i left it at standard height.
    • I think the 70D handles a bit better due to the dual motors, I get a better response when changing lane. but again that's just me.

Sound
    • I used five songs to test between the two vehicles.
      • Blackeyes Peas - The Time
      • Bruno Mars - I want to marry you
      • Celine Dion - I drove all night
      • Shania Twain - From This Moment
      • Frank Sinatra - Fly me To the moon
    • Listened via Slacker Radio set to BEST and via my iPhone Bluetooth those song.
    • The 70D I stuck with the standard sound. Out of the box, it is extremely flat and weak. I would go to the extent of horrible. After adjustment on the TONE to max BASS (+14), Treble (+12.5), and mid (+4.5), it actually sound not too bad. Much better than my stock Lexus GS 350.
    • The P85+ has the premium sound system. I checked and Dolby is turned off like most here have suggested. Tone setting are Bass (+14), Treble (+12.5) and mid (+4.5). The music does sound a bit better on the P85+. A little deeper bass, nice thump I was looking for. But for the additional price of $2500 to upgrade to this, hands down it is not worth one bit. I am glad I didn't upgrade this in the 70D as the sound isn't that much better to warrant the price differences. For under $1000, I would consider or think about it.

Others

• The P85+ is a single engine so you get that extra space in the Frunk
    • Both cars have the same next gen front seat
    • The P85+ didn't have the alcantara lining, so it was all leather around, including the dash and headliner.
    • The P85+ Steering controls is different than 70D. Like the cruise control location is on top in the P85+ where as it is at the bottom on the 70D.
    • The P85+ came with the front center console. After using I am debating if it is worth it or not the $650.00 it cost. It does make the vehicle a bit better looking, or look more like typical vehicle where the center isn't so empty.
    • The P85+ didn't get the LTE upgrade. It was still 3G connection.

Would love to hear what other thinks, especially those who have the P85+ or other models, how it compare with 70D.

EDIT: 9:30PM
    Took the P85+ on a little trip out to the Rancho Cucamunga Supercharger and had dinner out there. Man, that car is noisy. I think it is more because of the 21" Tires than the motors, but it is noisy. Steering is the same as 70D, nothing difference in the driving style I don't think. While driving this, all I think of is a clip of George Carlin stand up comedy where he was telling a story about someone talking to him and all he could think is "Shut the F up..." Its only noisy on the freeway. On local street and speed under 60, it is fine. Once you hit that highway and speed exceed 60, noisy! Charged to 90% gave me 231 miles. Not to bad for a P85+ which already has 15k miles on it. I am glad I didn't go with the light color interior, i can see the dirty worn out spot on the leathers.

2. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

I could've sworn it only goes to 10 on standard sound? I may need to check.

Nice writeup.

3. hingisfan

hingisfan hingisfan_Mark_V

No, he's right....I have mine at BASS +7.5, MID +8.5, and TREB +7.0 and it sounds pretty good....sub add-on would be great, but I can't justify cost right now.

4. Max*

FTR I'm at +8.5, +0, and +4.5 or so

5. bredi

bredi Member

Nice write up! Thanks for taking the time to post the comparison.

6. marty2112

marty2112 Member

Nice write up. Can you verify that the P85+ had the next gen seats. Based on your comment about the cruise control being in a different position, tells me that is an older build.

The biggest thing I remember when driving a P85+ loaner (September 2013 build) was the motor noise. I believe Tesla has done a very good job with incorporating more sound deadening and fit/finish improvements.

Of course, I loved the way the + performed on road... :)

7. smilepak

smilepak Member

it looks like next gen front, but not rear. It is noisy compared to 70D

8. Max*

Mine only go to 12 on standard sound. I double checked.

9. smilepak

smilepak Member

I might be wrong there. I just remember from MAX - how many notches :). I could've been 12. I'll fix it once i get my 70D back.

10. drrex1

drrex1 Banned

Check tire wear on 21s. If uneven could be contributing to noise., Also 19 Primacys are quiet tires.

11. ahurst

ahurst Member

Very informative. Thanks

12. Chasedrgc1223

Chasedrgc1223 Nearly Insane

Great review!! I got the 85D and would say the handling is very comparable to the P85+, significantly better than the standard P85. The P85 definitely had more of a floaty feeling than the + or the D's. Interesting to see another owner coming from a GS, as I did as well and loved it, but simply had to have the the Model S!!

13. DoubleDownOn9

DoubleDownOn9 Member

I got a P85+ when my P85 was in for service. Wow! Very smooth and solid ride, lots of traction, and couldn't stop looking at the car with those sexy 21" wheels. I'm sure the P85Ds are even better.