TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model S 75D now on CARB website

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by nkole, May 3, 2016.

1. nkole

nkole Member

• Informative x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  2. Cebe

Cebe Member

So, it can't be far now. I wonder if it will be a "pay for" upgrade, like 85->90, or a free one, like 60->70 was...

3. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

Well, the X paid for it - a $3k increase in base price unless the configuration was already locked when they announced the X75D

4. No2DinosaurFuel

doubt it be free. i dont think the 60->70 was free either. It was 60-70D, which was a lot more then 70D - 5K = S70. Still more than the original 60. I think overall expect a price increase.

5. rypalmer

rypalmer Member

This could be just an extrapolation, since 75kWh packs are certainly a thing, and packs are universal across Model S and X lines.

6. xG35

xG35 Member

Tesla optimizes every part of manufacturing when possible... I will be surprised if they are not ALL 75kwh...

7. Flyingdoc

Flyingdoc Member

• Informative x 1
  8. Demous32

Demous32 New Member

Can anyone comment on the real world range on a S 70? Found one for a great price but not sure if the range would suffice.

9. Jason Shelton

Jason Shelton Member

10. DougH

DougH Active Member

Come on Tesla, 100 already or 125!

• Like x 2
  11. Tellotes

Tellotes Member

Who here think it's worth the 3k for an additional 19 miles. I think it's worth it since they're going to eventually kill off the 70 battery pack like they did with the 85....

12. xG35

xG35 Member

I am willing to bet as soon as the first 75d model x roll ff the belt... is safe to assume all s are equipped with 75kwh battery... whatever the label is..

just like autopilot trial.. it will be over the air upgrade... just think about it.. it is easier to uspell you for the lifespan of your car than to mandate it during orders..

13. DougH

DougH Active Member

Why can't Tesla just get to 300 miles already, 200 miles is so 2013.

• Funny x 1
  14. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

#15 Canuck, May 3, 2016
    Last edited: May 3, 2016
    They can't label a battery differently from what's inside or it would create havoc for service. Also, there's no reason to believe Tesla will do anything differently with this upgrade than they did with the 85 to 90. That is, once Tesla runs out of the old inventory of 70 batteries, the 70 will no longer be available for purchase. As stated in the article: "The company did something similar when it launched the 90kWh battery last year, offering the older 85kWh battery for a while before quietly killing it off."

And AP 2.0 too!

• Like x 1
  15. xG35

xG35 Member

85kwh is a little different.. because at that time there were only one model using it. so the cut over is much easier.

with x and s using different batteries.. it is almost silly to have two packs in production. these are just in time delivery, there isn't thst much inventory... especially batteries as people might think.

16. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

Yes, it's silly to have two packs so close in rating in production. But I say they have large stacks of 70 batteries currently in inventory to meet production requirements worldwide. Once those are sold off, the 70 will no longer be offered. But there's no use in arguing about it since only time will tell. I say by July 15 (probably sooner - based on the rate of production for current 70 orders) the 70 batteries in inventory be used up and no longer offered. If I'm wrong, it certainly won't be the first time. But that's my prediction.

17. pbkwee

pbkwee Member

My DS reports that 70D cars that are built with the 75Kwh battery will be software limited to 70Kwh. Presumably you'd be able to pay for an upgrade. Else presumably keep it software limited to 70Kwh but be able to charge closer to 100% of your 75% battery without causing battery harm.

18. tagpats

tagpats Member

Do you know if this means that all 70s now are being built with the 75 or that they are still putting 70s in for new orders until that inventory is depleted? I'd be willing to pay for the 75 upgrade. I just got my VIN, so am weeks away from production.

• Helpful x 1
  19. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

#20 Canuck, May 3, 2016
    Last edited: May 3, 2016
    If your DS knows they will build 70D cars with 75 batteries (why D only?) that are software limited, how come he only presumes you can pay for an upgrade? Why would he only be told half the story? That seems odd. And what does the last part mean? I assume you mean you can charge to 100% of a 70 battery (and not 75%) without causing harm to the battery since it is actually a 75. Is that what you mean? If so, I guess they can only tell those with 70's that are actually 75, that charging to 100% is fine -- again that seems odd to me. Or will they make the slider different for those vehicles so the "Daily Driving" range will end at 100% rather than 90%? Odd again. I guess we will see but I'm still sticking with my prediction. If what your DS said was true, we should see a lot more posts confirming this.

Call or email your DS and ask and please let us know what he says.