Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 75D now on CARB website

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am willing to bet as soon as the first 75d model x roll ff the belt... is safe to assume all s are equipped with 75kwh battery... whatever the label is..

just like autopilot trial.. it will be over the air upgrade... just think about it.. it is easier to uspell you for the lifespan of your car than to mandate it during orders..

I am willing to bet as soon as the first 75d model x roll ff the belt... is safe to assume all s are equipped with 75kwh battery... whatever the label is..

They can't label a battery differently from what's inside or it would create havoc for service. Also, there's no reason to believe Tesla will do anything differently with this upgrade than they did with the 85 to 90. That is, once Tesla runs out of the old inventory of 70 batteries, the 70 will no longer be available for purchase. As stated in the article: "The company did something similar when it launched the 90kWh battery last year, offering the older 85kWh battery for a while before quietly killing it off."

Come on Tesla, 100 already or 125!

And AP 2.0 too!

Last edited:
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
85kwh is a little different.. because at that time there were only one model using it. so the cut over is much easier.

with x and s using different batteries.. it is almost silly to have two packs in production. these are just in time delivery, there isn't thst much inventory... especially batteries as people might think.

85kwh is a little different.. because at that time there were only one model using it. so the cut over is much easier.

with x and s using different batteries.. it is almost silly to have two packs in production. these are just in time delivery, there isn't thst much inventory... especially batteries as people might think.

Yes, it's silly to have two packs so close in rating in production. But I say they have large stacks of 70 batteries currently in inventory to meet production requirements worldwide. Once those are sold off, the 70 will no longer be offered. But there's no use in arguing about it since only time will tell. I say by July 15 (probably sooner - based on the rate of production for current 70 orders) the 70 batteries in inventory be used up and no longer offered. If I'm wrong, it certainly won't be the first time. But that's my prediction.

My DS reports that 70D cars that are built with the 75Kwh battery will be software limited to 70Kwh. Presumably you'd be able to pay for an upgrade. Else presumably keep it software limited to 70Kwh but be able to charge closer to 100% of your 75% battery without causing battery harm.

Do you know if this means that all 70s now are being built with the 75 or that they are still putting 70s in for new orders until that inventory is depleted? I'd be willing to pay for the 75 upgrade. I just got my VIN, so am weeks away from production.

• Helpful
Reactions: mobe
My DS reports that 70D cars that are built with the 75Kwh battery will be software limited to 70Kwh. Presumably you'd be able to pay for an upgrade. Else presumably keep it software limited to 70Kwh but be able to charge closer to 100% of your 75% battery without causing battery harm.

If your DS knows they will build 70D cars with 75 batteries (why D only?) that are software limited, how come he only presumes you can pay for an upgrade? Why would he only be told half the story? That seems odd. And what does the last part mean? I assume you mean you can charge to 100% of a 70 battery (and not 75%) without causing harm to the battery since it is actually a 75. Is that what you mean? If so, I guess they can only tell those with 70's that are actually 75, that charging to 100% is fine -- again that seems odd to me. Or will they make the slider different for those vehicles so the "Daily Driving" range will end at 100% rather than 90%? Odd again. I guess we will see but I'm still sticking with my prediction. If what your DS said was true, we should see a lot more posts confirming this.

Do you know if this means that all 70s now are being built with the 75 or that they are still putting 70s in for new orders until that inventory is depleted? I'd be willing to pay for the 75 upgrade. I just got my VIN, so am weeks away from production.

Call or email your DS and ask and please let us know what he says.

Last edited: