Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 90D charged 100% shows range as 295 miles. How come?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
WhatsApp Image 2017-04-11 at 7.35.57 PM.jpeg
So I charged to 100% last week and saw this when I stepped in. Rated range is 294 miles for 90D. This is second gen 90D with HW2. Anyone has seen this before?

What do you think the problem is? Isn't the Rated Range for that battery version supposed to be 294 when new?
Not a problem at all! I was wondering if anyone knew how tesla came up with 294 when it can go higher than that number. And since it sounds like it does go beyond 294 for other people, why wouldn't tesla describe the rated range as higher?

Not a problem at all! I was wondering if anyone knew how tesla came up with 294 when it can go higher than that number. And since it sounds like it does go beyond 294 for other people, why wouldn't tesla describe the rated range as higher?
It's not really a description. It's based on a very precise 5 stage test and then certified by the car manufacturer to EPA. The numbers that are higher are usually an anomaly and they all drop over time based on charging habits, calibration and some degradation as you probably know.

Since there will be variation, it's better listing at a lower range that everyone can achieve. If I'm correct, you really don't want to normally charge to 100% unless you have a MS60 right? Hubby's been keeping our 75D charged to an 80% maximum usually.

See you are a 42 person!

Tesla's rated range is based off of EPA validation which takes into consideration real world condition, if EPA estimates 294 thats the number Tesla uses. The Ideal range is the Optimistic number that does not factor in real world conditions so it might say 310+ miles. However, to your question your max or daily charge max will vary based on weather. If you received your car in the fall/winter temperatures you can expect your MAX to go up a bit as weather gets warmer, but typically by 1-5 miles depending on your pack. Historically, it seems that the pack needs to calibrate and would often show a much higher number when new e.g. P/S85's used to show up to 274 miles of range when new and fully charged, but calibrated eventually to 265 per the EPA number. So it will vary per pack and based on how new it is and weather.