Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S air conditioning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2017 90D. Went in for 2 year service which included replacing the HEPA filter. Since then it appears that:
- max air speed (both BIODEFENSE mode as well as fan to max) does not output as much air through the vents as it used to
- precooling car (climate on) results in a large puddle of water below the car (was always some, but not this much).

It may well be that this is just subjective and that (a) the air pressure/force for max speed is the same as it always was and that (b) increased outside humidity is causing the larger puddle due to condensation

That said, I'm wondering if, when they installed the HEPA filter, they didn't connect things up correctly such that cold air is blowing in the forward compartment resulting in greater than normal condensation and the lower air pressure. Does anyone know of a way to check this (pull the frunk tub, check things?) that I can do without taking the car to the service center? The air conditioning has never been as good as what I got from previous ICE cars, but I don't remember it being like this last summer or in 2017...

2017 75 here. I have not encountered issues like the one you describe.

The harder the AC has to work to cool you down, the more water due to condensation. Switching bio-hazard mode on kicks it into "high gear", so it is perfectly normal. Also, the temperature difference (outside vs your preset inside the cabin) will contribute to how much water is being drained.

If you are concerned about its normal operation, contact SC to check if there is any blockage in the system.

Just to close the loop. Turned out to be a failed actuator. I had to actually take my car down to the service center and park it next to a demo Model S. Same day, same temp, etc. We ran both A/C units. The demo unit was pushing NOTICEABLY more air than mine was. Showed it to the tech who agreed. Car went in for troubleshooting, got it back two days later and the actuator was replaced under warranty.

Just to close the loop. Turned out to be a failed actuator. I had to actually take my car down to the service center and park it next to a demo Model S. Same day, same temp, etc. We ran both A/C units. The demo unit was pushing NOTICEABLY more air than mine was. Showed it to the tech who agreed. Car went in for troubleshooting, got it back two days later and the actuator was replaced under warranty.
Could you please write here number of replaced part from the invoice? I have very similar problem on my car. It will be very helpful, thanks