Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S: Best Car ever for the Mountains!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, Just got back from a trip to the Mountains in Western NC and my Model S 90D was a blast to drive!
  • All Wheel Drive
  • Air Suspension
  • Regen Energy
  • Huge Sunroof
  • Whisper quiet
All Wheel Drive: I think this goes without saying that traction is needed when you are in the mountains. Tesla's AWD system is one of the best in the world (if not THE best) and there wasn't a single time that I felt the car losing grip. I really felt unstoppable going up a VERY steep gravel road.

Air Suspension: Raise it up to max height for dirt/gravel roads, drop it down to low for those windy twisty paved roads. It's almost like 2 vehicles in 1. It was extremely versatile to have different options for different terrain.

Regenerative Energy: I almost felt a little bit seeing all the other vehicles going down the hill and their brake lights on knowing that they were using their brakes when I was getting more energy into my battery. I used A Better Routeplanner to check my trip and it said I would only use 1% of my battery to get from point A to B and i thought it has to be a mistake but it was right and at 1 point i gained 3% of my battery back just going down hill and was averaging -220 kWh/mi over 5 miles! Yes, it was painful to see 750+ kWh/mi going up the mountain but going down and not touching the brakes felt really good!

Huge Sunroof: Sorry for all the Facelift cars that cant enjoy it but it was really nice having the sun shining down and a panoramic view out the roof of the car. Windows down, sunroof open and cruising around enjoying the cool mountain air and sounds

Whisper Quiet: Pull over to the overlook on the Blue Ridge Parkway and all you hear is the gravel crunching under the tires or slowing down on a back road to see some deer munching on the grass and you just feel so natural. Zero emissions, no smell, no idle just you, your Tesla and nature

Of course there are all the other things that Tesla's bring like Tesla Supercharging network, Autopilot, self parking when you go into town, the huge center screen to see Satellite images around you, Single gear drivetrain for those 'Austin Powers' 30 point turn arounds, and the underlying safety of the structure of the car. Unfortunately no one else had the same pleasure as I did because I never saw another Model S on the road.
20200821_141605.jpg
20200823_114248.jpg
20200824_112535.jpg
IMG_20200822_164304.jpg
IMG_20200823_180218.jpg

It is good you had fun, but I say you can't beat a Miata or a motorcycle for the mountains. ;)

4 people + luggage in a Miata or motorcycle? :p
Pic #1 and the cloudy weather... I would be hesitant to be on a motorcycle with rain in the area.
Did you see pic #2 with my car at the top of the hill? That was the driveway to the house we were staying at. I'm pretty sure a Miata wouldn't have been able to make it up that. ;)

I'd say a Tesla Model S beats those options for a family road trip :D

It is good you had fun, but I say you can't beat a Miata or a motorcycle for the mountains. ;)

Different type of vehicles. I bet a Tesla Roadster will be more fun than both those vehicles :)

I think the OP's point is that for a large vehicle, the Model S is serene and fun for long trips without obnoxious engine sounds that would prevent you from enjoying the tranquility of nature.

When someone in a motorbike is driving behind me, I pull over and let them pass me -- that's how irritating I find motorcycle noise. SO happy when that thing is far away from me and I don't have to hear all the racket any more.

Personally I would never risk my life riding a motorcycle in the mountains. A good friend of mine loved to do that until loose gravel on the road sent him and the motorcycle sliding and he crashed. He was severely injured and spent weeks in the hospital with months of painful PT to regain his range of motion.

@BrownOuttaSpec - Great story! Whenever I read stories like this (and I know this sounds like a guy drinking the Tesla Kool-aid) I have to say that I feel exactly the same - the Model S is the perfect car for a road trip.

The only time it's not all roses is when you don't have access to convenient or fast charging. Otherwise, nothing else comes close. I don't consider a Taycan in these comparisons simply because it costs twice as much.

Great post. I can't wait to take delivery of my new MS LRP. I'm immediately taking a road trip from San Diego to Yosemite and I'm so excited to drive through the mountains in a brand new car. Especially one that is silent and that has regen braking. Plus, there's a supercharger in the park to quell any range anxiety. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: David29
Different type of vehicles. I bet a Tesla Roadster will be more fun than both those vehicles :)

I think the OP's point is that for a large vehicle, the Model S is serene and fun for long trips without obnoxious engine sounds that would prevent you from enjoying the tranquility of nature.

When someone in a motorbike is driving behind me, I pull over and let them pass me -- that's how irritating I find motorcycle noise. SO happy when that thing is far away from me and I don't have to hear all the racket any more.

Personally I would never risk my life riding a motorcycle in the mountains. A good friend of mine loved to do that until loose gravel on the road sent him and the motorcycle sliding and he crashed. He was severely injured and spent weeks in the hospital with months of painful PT to regain his range of motion.

Roadster's dont wheelie. Motorcycles are definitely the most fun.

The roadster and most good sport cars need a smooth road to have fun. California mountain roads are horribly maintained. The S is quite good at a brisk pace just a heavy at a fun pace.

Reactions: beatle

Each vehicle can be fun in its own right. I enjoy the silence and the effortless thrust of the S, but leaning a bike back and forth through some windy roads, and downshifting a small convertible before turn in are some of life's greatest joys. I don't find that riding a motorcycle fast on the street is much fun anymore though; it is far better on a track. However, I do have an especially slow 125cc Honda Monkey which might be the most fun thing I own.

Like I said in my first post, not to take away from the OP's experience, though the S is the best car for a lot of things, I still don't agree that the S is the "best car ever for the mountains." ;)

Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
I was happy when I found my 90D "notCPO" with a metal roof. My wife hates it because she feels like it is claustrophobic, but I sleep better at night knowing there isn't a giant hole in the roof where the drain holes are eventually going to plug up with dead bugs and leaves and then the interior of the car will flood and destroy the car.

But that may just be audiPTSD.

Drove from Sacramento to South Lake Tahoe, CA for the first time in the Model S. I wasn't sure if we'd have enough range for the roundtrip without Supercharging. Turns out I had nothing to worry about. Going there took 52% battery with elevation gain of 6200 feet, but downhill only needed 17%! It was a blast on the mountain curves with regen to modulate the speed AND recharge the battery. I don't think the mountain grade was as steep as OP's but I was still generating -110 Wh/m at times.

A Better Route Planner was very conservative and estimated 5% more battery consumption than reality. I found the in-car navigation was extremely accurate and within 1% of reality based on the projected 2-hour drive when we left home.

Reactions: David29
Phil David......Sunroofs that open are fine, but glass roofs like the M3 are awful. Maybe OK for Philly, but for FL, my wife's M3 gets to internal temp of 140 degrees unless I vent the windows. Then it "cools" down to 120. What a terrible engineering design. My head is within 2" of the roof which you cannot touch, it is so hot, and my head perspires for the first 20 miles of driving at full AC. So of course, conversation is difficult and radio is rendered useless with fan set on high. I have the highest tinting value allowed by law and I wish they would make this model with a steel roof and insulated headliner like my 2012 MS Signature, no sunroof.

Each vehicle can be fun in its own right. I enjoy the silence and the effortless thrust of the S, but leaning a bike back and forth through some windy roads, and downshifting a small convertible before turn in are some of life's greatest joys. I don't find that riding a motorcycle fast on the street is much fun anymore though; it is far better on a track. However, I do have an especially slow 125cc Honda Monkey which might be the most fun thing I own.

Like I said in my first post, not to take away from the OP's experience, though the S is the best car for a lot of things, I still don't agree that the S is the "best car ever for the mountains." ;)
Driving EVs since 2016 I hate motorcycle sound/noise-destroys peace & clean air.

Damn son, your MCU screen is “BrownOuttaSpec” for sure. Get ye to thy Service Center for some 365nm rays!

LMAO!!!!
Last time I checked with my local SC the machine/tool was broken but that was a few months ago. I was thinking I was just going to hold out and get the MCU2 upgrade with a new screen and not worry about getting the existing one repaired.

Reactions: ucmndd