Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Bluetooth issues, no Siri responses, v10

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Starting with either 10.1 or 10.2, I'm experiencing Bluetooth issues with my Model S (2013 S60).
1. The volume indicator on the phone frequently pops up, switching from Bluetooth to "regular" volume.
2. Siri responses no longer sound through the car speakers. For example, when I say "Hey Siri, call home" the command will work, but I don't hear Siri respond "Calling home".... Similarly, if I say, "Call Steven" (and I have more than one number for Steven), I don't hear Siri respond "Which phone number for Steven...?"

I called Tesla, removed the Bluetooth connection, rebooted the main screen, re-connected Bluetooth, but this did not fix the problem. Is anyone else aware of this issue and/or have a known fix?

Thank you!

The latest couple of firmware updates introduced lots of Bluetooth issues. Tesla is (allegedly) aware of this and is (allegedly) working to remedy the issues. If you do some searches you'll come up with some lengthy discussion on the various bugs that is echoed across several device operating systems and car/firmware versions.

Same volume problem, but on Android. After I set the phone volume to max, the song will play, but then the volume indicator pops up and reduces the volume setting on the phone, causing the car audio to drop. I will again increase the phone volume to max, but the same thing will happen again and again. I thought it was an Android problem, but it looks like its a Tesla problem. 2015 70D.

Same here, but I’ve discovered the nuance. You now have to tap the Phone icon (like if you wanted to listen to music on your phone) to be able to hear/use Siri. Defeats the purpose/convenience, but that’s the workaround until they (hopefully) fix.

Yeah I ran into this also. You'd think this would be easy to fix, because it was working great up until the "10.2" releases (at least for me). (Unless this was intertwined in some perverse way with the texting support...which is nice, but I personally would rather have a non-broken Siri.)

Bruce.

Same volume problem, but on Android. After I set the phone volume to max, the song will play, but then the volume indicator pops up and reduces the volume setting on the phone, causing the car audio to drop. I will again increase the phone volume to max, but the same thing will happen again and again. I thought it was an Android problem, but it looks like its a Tesla problem. 2015 70D.
I think what you're describing is slightly different than what the OP is describing although they're probably both related. The two problems I notice the most are:

1) the volume on the phone drops to 20% from 100% (I use the steering wheel to adjust volume) whenever a new track starts, a new podcast episode or sometimes just because. I then have to physically find my phone and turn it back to 100% each and every time to resume listening. This can be especially annoying if podcasts are streaming in the background silently and I don't realize due to conversation or whatever until several minutes have passed. I then get to try to find where I last left off. Added bonus is we don't have free mobile data on our cell service so this can rack up the wasted data as well.

2) Whenever I get back in the car my phone will reconnect via Bluetooth. If previously I was streaming from my phone it will resume and (aside from the volume decrease issue from problem #1) all is well. If, however, I was previously streaming music or a podcast from the car itself (via slacker, TuneIn, etc.) it will ALSO resume streaming on my phone even though it's not actually playing the audio from my phone it resumes whatever streaming I was doing from the car's app. See previous problem #1 concerning having to then find where I was previously and paying for mobile data to see why this is especially annoying.

Both of these have been discussed in great detail in other threads though so we really should try to keep these conversations in those threads to avoid several fragmented conversations on the same topic. It will also help others in the future who may search for info prior to creating a new thread.

Reactions: bmah