Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Browser with WebKit 534.34 showing up in the wild on html5test.com

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux) AppleWebKit/534.34 (KHTML, like Gecko) QtCarBrowser Safari/534.34
It also says...
1920 x 1200px

I find this suspicious for two reasons:
1. The in-car browser doesn't use the full screen (it uses less than both 1920 and 1200).
2. The in-car browser at full size is taller than wide, and I find it very unlikely html5test displays "Y x X" sizing.

Now the former (1) may be coming from screen.width and screen.height, so that may be reasonable. But (2) doesn't seem right.

- - - Updated - - -

Issues with resolution aside, this seems like an iterative change rather than something dramatic...

From two Decembers ago:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/10685-Model-S-web-access?p=239965&viewfull=1#post239965
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux; C) AppleWebKit/533.3 (KHTML, like Gecko) QtCarBrowser Safari/533.3

This would be great.. but any chance it's just a mistaken or spoofed user agent string? Doing a search on that site, it shows Model S's starting to show up 2-3 months ago with 333 scores.

http://html5test.com/results/search.html?query=tesla

And at the bottom of the page, a disclaimer: "Please note that all data shown above are unconfirmed test results. They could be fake or belong to a different browser than the one listed."

Last edited:
This would be great.. but any chance it's just a mistaken or spoofed user agent string? Doing a search on that site, it shows Model S's starting to show up 2-3 months ago with 333 scores.

http://html5test.com/results/search.html?query=tesla

And at the bottom of the page, a disclaimer: "Please note that all data shown above are unconfirmed test results. They could be fake or belong to a different browser than the one listed."

Alpha and Beta testing of 6.0 firmware perhaps? (fingers crossed)

Geolocation would be sweet. Also, one can wish for 'access to microphone' and playing sounds which would allow voice command apps. I've built HTML5 web apps that record and play audio to users and it's quite nice to do things hands-free. For example press a button to create a geo-fenced reminder at your location to "take grocery bags" (which you would say out loud).

It also says...
2. The in-car browser at full size is taller than wide, and I find it very unlikely html5test displays "Y x X" sizing.

Not surprised as I know someone who somewhat hacked the Model S and he told me that the screen is basically rotated. However, I think the browser should report the real-life resolution not the technically right one.

Not surprised as I know someone who somewhat hacked the Model S and he told me that the screen is basically rotated. However, I think the browser should report the real-life resolution not the technically right one.
Update: Testing in my car the other day showed 1900x1200 so, for whatever reason, that's the "normal" way html5test responds to a Tesla browser so this is no longer "suspicious" IMO.

Tesla can disable any features they don't want us to use, like video. And I'd guess they wouldn't want geo-location, but that would be nice for people without embedded maps.

There is no need to block geolocation. It does not have to be accurate enough for navigation, just close enough for websites like plugshare and recargo, so they can show you the closest charging locations.