Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - Chicago

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree, sitting in the back of a car is made so much nicer with the natural light that a sunroof adds. Never been in a car with a panoramic roof but I imagine it makes the whole car feel more spacious and light.

Last edited:
The Ferrari 575 Super America had something akin to this...like those Transition brand eye glass lenses that get darker in bright sunlight & vice versa...pretty cool idea if you ask me!

Ferrari 575M Maranello - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not 100% sure but I think he might be talking more about that glass that when it gets an electric charge going through it it makes it opaque and when the charge is removed it is translucent. Something like this: Smart glass - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

-Shark2k

That is the frosted version. There is one that turns amber also, I saw it in a high end office building years ago, and again in luxury jet side windows more recently. I was told it was expensive then, but not sure how the technology has progressed, or the amount of energy necessary.

It would really only have to be frosted during the daytime when it was parked too to help keep heat out. That would be a cool feature if it didn't use much energy which it sounds like it doesn't.

I did take quite a few pictures for all that could not make the event.

Thanks for the pictures, ibcs. I got an email saying the Prototype was going to be "on tour" and coming to the Boulder, CO store (which is the closest one to me, currently) from March 5th (for a "Sneak Preview") to the 12th (7th to 12th is an "Open House").

I want to try to make it up there but don't think it's going to happen so thanks for the pictures from the Chicago event.

Also, does Tesla drive the prototype around a lot or are the gauges just static? The odometer shows 32,609 miles on the car with 148 on the trip.

Last edited:
Cool!...thanks for posting this, never seen it before.

I wonder if it would be a complete offset (energy used to "power" the glass vs. energy saved from using less AC?)

Not 100% sure but I think he might be talking more about that glass that when it gets an electric charge going through it it makes it opaque and when the charge is removed it is translucent. Something like this: Smart glass - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

-Shark2k

Also, does Tesla drive the prototype around a lot or are the gauges just static? The odometer shows 32,609 miles on the car with 148 on the trip.

The odometer reading of 32,609 miles is Tesla's clever way of displaying the date March 26, 2009 or put in numerical form 3 26 09 = 32609. The importance of March 26, 2009.... that's the date the Model S was officially unveiled at it's Hawthorne, CA facilities.

From the Menlo Park showing of the Model S:
attachment.php

Last edited: