Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S: Clever Vanity Plates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my plate, it arrives in a few weeks.

Watt Fun.jpg

Yes, it is an event that MyPlates puts on 4 times a year or so. Usually melts down their servers and phone lines the first day it starts due to pent up demand. They never say when it will be until right before it happens (like a week notice). However, if there is a plate you want, you don't need to provide a VIN, and they have a layaway plan so that if you know you aren't getting your car for 6 months or so, you can still reserve it and pay it off slowly until your car arrives.

Last edited:
Ok that's a nice one...

Yes, it is an event that MyPlates puts on 4 times a year or so. Usually melts down their servers and phone lines the first day it starts due to pent up demand. They never say when it will be until right before it happens (like a week notice). However, if there is a plate you want, you don't need to provide a VIN, and they have a layaway plan so that if you know you aren't getting your car for 6 months or so, you can still reserve it and pay it off slowly until you car arrives.

I traded in my Roadster for the Signature Model S that's now in my garage. I kept my Roadster's plates and will install them on the S: they're Colorado Carbon Fund plates reading "I SQR R".

Just a nerdy joke and not a commentary on my personality, I trust. :cool:

Love this thread.

Our Pacific Blue S will get to us EVENTUALLY, and we want to be ready when she does arrive. We ordered our "Charge" plate way back before we configured, and so we went with a basic black centered lettering plate.

Texas' "MyPlates" program does allow individuals to "restyle" their plates for $55, and I'm debating whether black is the right choice. Here are a few of the myriad options. Some serious, some silly. The only option pictured that I probably can't get is the one I would ideally want. The Rice U plate would be great as Rice was the inspiration for the color choices, but it is a "Charity Plate" and not a "MyPlates" option, so I don't think that move is allowed. Perhaps a Rice option will become available eventually. There are some basic blue options not pictured, but they are lighter in color. The two "vintage blue" configurations in the picture are a good bit darker. I think the bright red could actually look pretty nifty.

I'm open to opinions or alternatives.

Thanks,
Andy
Charge.jpg

Amazing the level of variation and choice you have! That's really cool. I wonder how much Dr Pepper (or Ford or Nascar) gives the state each year?

It's also quite interesting how the plates all have different mottos, as well as the "Don't Tread On Me" flag, which pre-dates Texas but seems to fit with the psyche of the state.

If the blue in D is a good match to the car's blue, that is my vote. If not a good match then I would go for H for the big contrasting color. "Don't tread on my charging cable"

Andy, my 2 cents.

C or D will be elegant and will be a safe bet with the Blue.

H or B will be a nice contrast; H more so. I have a bright Blue/Yellow design (Calif. Lake Tahoe plates) to go with my Green Model S.

I'm sure you wouldn't want J or worse, E, of course :)

On my perf/blue I plan to do D and add a custom frame that will hide all the white border. In Texas you cannot cover the "TEXAS" or any part of the number, but the rest is fair game.

Amazing the level of variation and choice you have! That's really cool. I wonder how much Dr Pepper (or Ford or Nascar) gives the state each year?

It's also quite interesting how the plates all have different mottos, as well as the "Don't Tread On Me" flag, which pre-dates Texas but seems to fit with the psyche of the state.

If the blue in D is a good match to the car's blue, that is my vote. If not a good match then I would go for H for the big contrasting color. "Don't tread on my charging cable"

Texas has a weird pseudo-private licensee plate program. You buy vanity plates from a private company, but somehow they are able to register them. I doubt Ford or DrPepper gives any money at all to the state.

I only have family that lives there.

EDIT: No money for the plates. I am sure both contribute taxes and small donations here and there. But none of this is 'thank you' for a plate.