Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S crash into Mercedes Dealership

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems valet mode needs enhancement to include a Im-a-drunk or daughter check, forcing limp mode.

Maybe a little less work on enhancing AutoPilot and a little more programming (human engineering) on an option to see if the person in the Driver's seat is an unimpaired pilot to begin with.

Avoidable accidents, regardless of which "Pilot" was in charge don't help the brand. This could apply to the entire fleet.

Last edited:
Seems valet mode needs enhancement to include a Im-a-drunk or daughter check, forcing limp mode.

Maybe a little less work on enhancing AutoPilot and a little more programming (human engineering) on an option to see if the person in the Driver's seat is an unimpaired pilot to begin with.

Avoidable accidents, regardless of which "Pilot" was in charge don't help the brand. This could apply to the entire fleet.
I get that it hurts Tesla name, but the fault is entirely on the driver (in case that is confirmed he was drunk).
Many of the accidents I hear about that involve drunk people end up with someone dying and most of all someone gets injured.
It seems he did not even get injured from this flight, so I don't think there is much more that the car could have done, unless it was in Auto Pilot, in that case I think that it should be able to stop sooner and have detected that it should not have jumped the brush. But that doesn't look like Auto Pilot, it looks like he hit the accelerator hard.

I get that it hurts Tesla name, but the fault is entirely on the driver (in case that is confirmed he was drunk).
Many of the accidents I hear about that involve drunk people end up with someone dying and most of all someone gets injured.
It seems he did not even get injured from this flight, so I don't think there is much more that the car could have done, unless it was in Auto Pilot, in that case I think that it should be able to stop sooner and have detected that it should not have jumped the brush. But that doesn't look like Auto Pilot, it looks like he hit the accelerator hard.

I'd still be more than happy with two-factor authentication to drive off in my car. Just because you have (swiped) my key does not mean you have my car. Solves the daughter problem (unless dad knew in advance).

Make the two-factor a bit more of a puzzle and solves the drunk problem too.

You could always turn it off (and you'd be happy), but I would leave it on (and I'd be safer).

I'd still be more than happy with two-factor authentication to drive off in my car. Just because you have (swiped) my key does not mean you have my car. Solves the daughter problem (unless dad knew in advance).

Make the two-factor a bit more of a puzzle and solves the drunk problem too.

You could always turn it off (and you'd be happy), but I would leave it on (and I'd be safer).
That may not be a bad idea. You could ask for a password, but that consumes time and other passengers can see the password and then they could drive it also. A math problem may solve the drunk problem but not other people taking the car. Any way to do it that it does not consume too much of your time and can guarantee you are good to drive?

Can't a drunk driver in limp mode still get in an accident and potentially injure or kill others and/or self? Also, if this "impaired driver" detection system can be disabled as with Autopilot, wouldn't the type of person who would regularly and callously operate a vehicle under the influence be the type of person who wouldn't even enable this feature to begin with?

"I'm sorry, Red. Google is down for maintenance. You can't drive home tonite."

"I'm sorry, Red. The cellular coverage in this area is spotty, so you'll have to have your vehicle towed to somewhere where I can safely authenticate."

Not to rathole, but I've used at least three different hardware tokens that work fine as off-line, two-factor authentication systems. :)

Obviously this is just beta testing warp speed for Mars commuters. Lithium ion batteries have been reported to interact with the dylithium chamber causing the car to drop out of warp unexpectedly. Will get fixed by release time of the W700D.

No problem. They just need to bias the inertial dampener and realign the warp coil.

Bruce.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Not to rathole, but I've used at least three different hardware tokens that work fine as off-line, two-factor authentication systems. :)
Remember this is a car, a rather simple two factor authentication is key plus phone (or rather just the Bluetooth connection). No phone, then an additional password required. Secondary function: reminder to bring your phone with.

No problem. They just need to bias the inertial dampener and realign the warp coil.
No worries. They have some time to perfect it before people need to commute to Mars. As long as test mules don't keep dropping out of warp over competitor dealerships. ;)

Two factor is in simplest form:

-Something you have (i.e. your key. If you are missing your key, it's your phone as backup) This is already sop with Tesla today.
-Something you know (and you don't need network connectivity for this, the car already has enough computing power to launch a moon shot). Could be as simple as a pass code or a puzzle to thwart the impaired, all could be selectable in software settings, as well as off.

And with the code/puzzle completed you could disable it in settings. Not unlike the valet mode.

Me - I'd leave it on. I don't drive impaired, (maybe a massively tough work day at the worst). Or a stroke :) where I should be calling 911 instead of driving. I'd also leave it on to insure anyone that happens to pick up my key has my permission to drive (or Ferris Bueller) my car.

Tesla touts itself as the safest car in the world, with leading edge ideas to bring this to reality. An hour or two of programmer time, and a software-only update would give them another industry first: An owner controlled two-factor interlock (could even be optioned to enable valet mode on a fail, your choice). For the entire fleet, not just the latest and greatest hardware models rolling off the assembly line.

Whether you choose to enable it or not is completely up to you. Just like valet mode.

Reactions: MP3Mike
This may be useful to prevent unauthorized operation of your vehicle (and I would like such a feature), but I can't see it being of much help in discouraging an impaired driver from operating the vehicle. You can be impaired enough to be a danger on the road and yet still be able to enter a code. For those amoral individuals who drink excessively on a regular basis and get behind the wheel, they would disable this feature anyway because they don't want a "nanny" telling them they're too intoxicated to drive. For those, you would need an onboard breathalyzer that is tied into the activation of the car. And it would have to be a non-optional feature. Maybe something that could be added to a vehicle by court order for a repeat offender as part of a deal to regain a previously revoked driver's license. But I digress, since this isn't a software-only solution.

Audible response: "Hello Dave. Please say 'Peter Piper picked a pack of pickled peppers.'"

"Peer Piped a pask of peer Peeprs"

Sorry, Dave. How about <random phrase here>

Three strikes and you're out. Car calls for designated driver.
Reminds me of the "Twilight Zone" episode "You Drive".

Here's a clip of highlights from that episode:

(Note the use of autopilot/self-driving way back in 1964! :) )