Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Delivery Dates and Sequencing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have a sense of the average time it's taking from VIN to 'on the truck'? I received my VIN two days ago and am still pessimistic about car getting loaded onto a truck in the next 12 days.

As a data point, I've had my VIN for over 3 weeks now. I expect the car in another 10 days--direct delivery. So my experience is showing about 33 days to the east coast. I am (hopefully) not typical.

This is not what I've been told. I was told they will be available every day from now until New Years. Though, I went ahead and confirmed a pickup this Saturday just in case. :)

You might want to check with them again. All evidence indicates they are trying to deliver as many cars as possible before year's end. I can't imagine they are taking the week off between Christmas and New Year's.

You were correct. I emailed my DS today and they moved me up to 12/21 factory pickup. Thanks for the advice. Can't wait until Friday:biggrin:

Tesla had called Sunday and said I'd get paperwork Monday. No paperwork Monday. Or Tuesday. Called Wednesday morning and talked to an inside delivery guy and he said he'd "give it a nudge". Which worked, I now have my paperwork signed and back to Tesla who signed. Now waiting for a call. My bank is ready to disburse funds having been given the updated paperwork so I need to talk to them tomorrow.

On one hand, it's good to have made it to the next steps. On the other, the nudge seems ultimately counter productive. It takes time for them to field the call and push mine forward, time that could be spent working through all the paperwork. Things aren't ever going to slow down from here on out for Tesla and the process they have clearly doesn't run very smoothly.

Like Todd, my enthusiasm has turned jaded. More sad than upset in my case. I mostly just want to get it done at this point and pray my car doesn't have the gremlins that came with gaswalla's.

I'm in the same boat. I've been waiting for my final paperwork since Friday. My DS says he's following up on it each day, but that HQ doesn't have any firm date on when they'll get the final paperwork complete. He said they're spin up some folks in DC to help handle the paperwork, and that it might hopefully come tomorrow. It's hard to imagine the paperwork takes that much time to complete...how different can it all be from the preliminary paperwork done back in September...anyway, I'll keep my fingers crossed.

You were correct. I emailed my DS today and they moved me up to 12/21 factory pickup. Thanks for the advice. Can't wait until Friday:biggrin:

Ironically, my DS emailed me to (very apologetically) cancel my pickup this weekend and postpone to a future date, to be determined. Seems my vehicle is not quite ready. I'm still hoping to have it by the end of the year. I think my choice of a solid roof (never cared much for sunroofs), may be affecting the delivery date, as we are only a few VIN numbers apart.

I got my final MVPA docs signed tonight, which had my VIN and 95 miles on the car!! I guess that mean she's alive rolling around quite a bit in Fremont :love:.

How soon (or how long) after receiving the final MVPA is delivery scheduled?

What's the turnaround time from when the DS submits the paperwork to when you get the final MVPA? I'm waiting for mine and need it pretty soon so my credit union can cut me my loan check before I pickup Sunday. I'm in the opposite situation :) - pickup scheduled, but waiting final paperwork!

Yes, it's beginning to feel like everyone within a state or two of California is getting their cars regardless of reservation number, and the rest of us suckers are forced to wait. <Pouty childish voice>Not fair.</Pouty childish voice>

I was trying to be patient. Now I'm very frustrated. I was given a delivery window of 12/15-12/31 and have been waiting for my VIN to finalize financing with PenFed and ready myself for payment to Tesla. I was notified by my DS today that not only would I not receive my car this month, it hasn't started production and won't until January. What the heck is up with that?!? I can understand being slightly behind the delivery window. I don't understand how they can be that far off on the production end. Under promise and over deliver...not vice versa!

I got my final MVPA docs signed tonight, which had my VIN and 95 miles on the car!! I guess that mean she's alive rolling around quite a bit in Fremont :love:.

I'm pretty sure they put 95 miles on everyone's MVPA.

Time to schedule delivery after final MVPA varies. Could be several weeks.

- - - Updated - - -

I was trying to be patient. Now I'm very frustrated. I was given a delivery window of 12/15-12/31 and have been waiting for my VIN to finalize financing with PenFed and ready myself for payment to Tesla. I was notified by my DS today that not only would I not receive my car this month, it hasn't started production and won't until January. What the heck is up with that?!? I can understand being slightly behind the delivery window. I don't understand how they can be that far off on the production end. Under promise and over deliver...not vice versa!

That sucks. I said it before and I'll say it again. Tesla, you are hugely damaging your customer's goodwill by doing this. Sacrificing long term customer satisfaction for the benefit of a temporary stock price is beyond foolish. A rare strategic mistake on Elon's part, IMHO.

I am really upset with Tesla. Delivering cars in the P6000-P8000 range is just a complete shot in the face--Tesla has shown that they don't give a squat about reservation numbers. California deliveries have preference, regardless of reservation date? That's BS. It's like watching people cut you in line when you've been standing there a year longer. Completely disrespectful. I don't care about quarterly numbers or the current price of stock. That stuff's just temporary. To treat your customers this way is just terrible.
Sorry to be bitching, but this is just so damn frustrating. :cursing:

At great risk of going off topic, I will choose to respond.

First, let me say I understand your frustration and would feel the same in your shoes. As with the signature models, they are building and delivering production cars out of order for a variety of reasons, most of which we will probably never know.

However, to say that they are doing this to optimize the stock price I think is missing the bigger picture. Tesla is not only a public company but also has enormous capital requirements to design and build out manufacturing capacity for the Model X and their Gen III platform. Producing vehicles that sit on the lot unsold because they are not able to be delivered hurts the company tremendously, and not just for the short term. Less cash inflow this quarter means possibly delaying these programs, further eroding confidence in the company, not just by investors but by future customers. As a customer, I would like Tesla to be around 10 years from now so I can continue to get parts and service. So I'm happy that they have made the right business decision and chose to maximize their cash flow this quarter.

But as the unexpected beneficiary of the ability to "cut in line", all I can say to Tesla is "please, take my money"! :)

I'm pretty sure they put 95 miles on everyone's MVPA.

Time to schedule delivery after final MVPA varies. Could be several weeks.

Ah figures.. either case, it's getting closer. I know people here are frustrated, it's all about perspective. I see/read all the articles on Newton, CT and in perspective, I have a WHOLE lot be thankful for. Getting the car this year vs next year is nothing compared to what others are dealing with this holiday season.

My DS reports that my P1312/vin2530 has "finished production and is being fast tracked for shipment." Tesla now has the funds and paperwork. I gotta wonder when it will make it to Arizona for a direct delivery. My 40 months of water torture may be close to an end.

I feel especially bad for the 60kWh people who had every reason to believe that the mid-size battery car would commence delivery in November. I understand that there were reasons for the change, but integrity should matter! The lack of an explanation is disappointing in the extreme.

Looks like you beat me.

I am really upset with Tesla. Delivering cars in the P6000-P8000 range is just a complete shot in the face--Tesla has shown that they don't give a squat about reservation numbers. California deliveries have preference, regardless of reservation date? That's BS. It's like watching people cut you in line when you've been standing there a year longer. Completely disrespectful. I don't care about quarterly numbers or the current price of stock. That stuff's just temporary. To treat your customers this way is just terrible.

Todd. I know your pain/sadness/frustration. I was in the running for the final Sig when P's in the thousands were receiving cars before me for a while and some of my old posts show a similar level of frustration. The missed delivery windows and broken communications were not good for my overall opinion of operations at Tesla. The good news is that your delivery will be soon, and the car will likely be amazing.

Talked to a rep today that said they were trying to push out lots of the CA cars because they have a tax break that is about to expire. Even with that info I was told my car, VIN 3062, would be delivered to NC 'very, very near the 31st'.

What's this about a tax break about to expire? I thought the $2500 was well funded through June 2013?

I would be especially incensed if Tesla, by pushing out thousands of 85kWh cars out of sequence, caused the funds to dry up and deny me (and other early 60kWh and 40kWh reservations) the rebate!

Ironically, my DS emailed me to (very apologetically) cancel my pickup this weekend and postpone to a future date, to be determined. Seems my vehicle is not quite ready. I'm still hoping to have it by the end of the year. I think my choice of a solid roof (never cared much for sunroofs), may be affecting the delivery date, as we are only a few VIN numbers apart.
That sucks. I'm thinking they could reschedule mine. I hope they schedule your soon.

- - - Updated - - -

That sucks. I'm thinking they could reschedule mine. I hope they schedule your soon.

- - - Updated - - -

I just got "The Call"! Car is ready. Picking it up at the factory Friday afternoon. VIN 2808. Res 6,233.

It's going to be a long 36 hours....
I agree.

The 95 miles is just a fill-in # for the paperwork. Check the odo when you get it; most recent deliveries are far lower.

Maybe your car failed inspection and was scrapped. It's happened to a few people.