Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Delivery Dates and Sequencing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seriously, Tesla is not prioritizing cars so that CA residents can save $250 before the 0.25% increase in sales tax. Unless you're a sig, even when you finalized your order, no one could say absolute or guarantee that you would get your car in 2012. Production ramp up took longer than expected. Just looking at the delivery spreadsheet, I don't think we can categorically state that California deliveries have been "prioritized".

Okay so Tesla isn't 'prioritizing' CA over any other location. They just randomly ended up with 90% of the cars they built of the past 1-2 weeks being sent to CA.

In all seriousness, I've had several reps tell me that they did a very big CA push. Who cares what the reason is, it just is what it is.

Just read this over the TM forum -

"rd2 | DECEMBER 20, 2012 - P4157 and just scheduled delivery for 12-29 at the factory! VIN 2725. Hard to believe it is almost here."

Hard to believe that his car is about done and yours isn't. Did they tell you what point your car is currently sitting at?

They said it needs about a week and a half more at the factory so late December or early Jan - but will have more information mid next week.

Just read this over the TM forum -

"rd2 | DECEMBER 20, 2012 - P4157 and just scheduled delivery for 12-29 at the factory! VIN 2725. Hard to believe it is almost here."

Hard to believe that his car is about done and yours isn't. Did they tell you what point your car is currently sitting at?

Remember, anything can happen with any given car. Fails the water test, whatever. I know it would be nice to have ultra-detailed status about what is happening with your car, but it's not a conspiracy. Tesla wants you to have them as soon as possible as well. I sometimes think this forum is too much information (but can't stop reading it anyway).

Verbatim from the email -

"We have a massive CA push this week to ensure that we meet some rebate deadlines."
This might be related to CARB EV credits - I believe Tesla is allowed to sell their credits (since they sell no ICE's) to other manufacturers and that may be on a calendar system.

As others have stated the $2,500 rebate is until the end of 2013 or funds dry up (there are just over 3,100 left).

Any of you out there scheduled for a 12/27 or 12/28 factory delivery, and plan on heading south on the Supercharger freeway?

I'm guessing that any day that there are deliveries, there will be folks using the Superchargers for the trip south.

Should be a fun game to try to determine if Model S's you see on the 5 South are headed to them, and if so, how fast someone is willing to push it to get there first. With the big storm hitting this weekend, I'll have to keep it under 100 :)

I just emailed my DS to see if he has a source of info to confirm the Superchargers I'll be using Sunday and Monday are fully operational.

I'm guessing that any day that there are deliveries, there will be folks using the Superchargers for the trip south.

Should be a fun game to try to determine if Model S's you see on the 5 South are headed to them, and if so, how fast someone is willing to push it to get there first. With the big storm hitting this weekend, I'll have to keep it under 100 :)

I just emailed my DS to see if he has a source of info to confirm the Superchargers I'll be using Sunday and Monday are fully operational.

Love to hear what you hear. I'll have a slight advantage on the 27th or 28th as I plan on leaving NorCal at about 4:30 in the morning to head south.

But that's privileged information, so keep it to yourself.:wink:

I'll be using them this Sunday after taking delivery tomorrow morning (22nd). Hopefully heading out early sunday morning before deliveries even begin that day.

Okay so Tesla isn't 'prioritizing' CA over any other location. They just randomly ended up with 90% of the cars they built of the past 1-2 weeks being sent to CA.

In all seriousness, I've had several reps tell me that they did a very big CA push. Who cares what the reason is, it just is what it is.

And therein lies the source of my frustration. Shokunin, I've noticed your P7xxx car has a VIN already. I'm sitting here in Atlanta with a P5320 car and am not to the VIN stage. I've called, they didn't deny it when I stated I'm hearing there's a big CA push and we are getting pushed back on the East Coast. There are pros and cons to this process. One hand, I'll be able to say I have a 2013 car instead of a 2012 car. On the other hand, I'm losing some extra money that would have paid for some of the options on the car without being able to get my business deduction. Currently I'm leaning to the cons outweighing the pros.

And therein lies the source of my frustration. Shokunin, I've noticed your P7xxx car has a VIN already. I'm sitting here in Atlanta with a P5320 car and am not to the VIN stage. I've called, they didn't deny it when I stated I'm hearing there's a big CA push and we are getting pushed back on the East Coast. There are pros and cons to this process. One hand, I'll be able to say I have a 2013 car instead of a 2012 car. On the other hand, I'm losing some extra money that would have paid for some of the options on the car without being able to get my business deduction. Currently I'm leaning to the cons outweighing the pros.
It's like my mom told me - life isn't fair. I'm P1312/VIN2530, production is complete, paperwork is all done, TM has the funds, and the car has been sitting there for days "awaiting transport." I hope that some truck driver enjoys the holiday with his family and I get the car next week.

It's like my mom told me - life isn't fair. I'm P1312/VIN2530, production is complete, paperwork is all done, TM has the funds, and the car has been sitting there for days "awaiting transport." I hope that some truck driver enjoys the holiday with his family and I get the car next week.
Life isn't fair, but it is ok to be frustrated, I think. In my view, Tesla has gone wrong in two ways: 1) they gave a 12/15-12/31 delivery window to a bunch of folks and 2) haven't communicated changes to any of those same folks. The latter is a bigger issue than the former, perhaps.

I'm not caught up in the ordering of deliveries, but I did jump through some hoops because I was told 12/31... and then never told otherwise. I had to call to find out (and actually, I'm still not sure what I know).

I received my performance model S ( P#172) Thursday 12/20. I had been told it was put on a truck the previous Saturday and I would get a call 48 hours before arrival. Well.. At noon on Thursday the driver calls me to tell me he is an hour away. Luckily I could get home. Very nice driver. It took me a while to remove all the shipping wraps from the car but when I did I couldn't believe how stunning the car is. I had never seen one in person.

I still don't have any paperwork, so I can't drive it yet. Love the car but after waiting 1363 days, 21 hours, 11 minutes and 0 seconds since my deposit, the delivery experience has been pretty bad.

Did everyone have to remove there own shipping wraps?

Same here, paid for, "awaiting transport" truck to boat and again to truck. No DS and I still have to pay for "Personal Delivery"

Wow - TM forum reports VINs in high 2900 getting delivery dates of the 26th. Yet I'm told that mine (3062) hasn't entered assembly yet. I wonder how that is happening. Lots of rework?

If they are running at 500 a week then they should be making 71 a day. The math just doesn't add up.

Wow - TM forum reports VINs in high 2900 getting delivery dates of the 26th. Yet I'm told that mine (3062) hasn't entered assembly yet. I wonder how that is happening. Lots of rework?

If they are running at 500 a week then they should be making 71 a day. The math just doesn't add up.

It adds up when you realize that east coast customers have lower priority.