Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Delivery Dates and Sequencing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And of course I received that number from my DS (Tim), though perhaps unwittingly...he had forwarded me a scan of my Bill of Lading, which had that number on it.

- - - Updated - - -

Tesla made a choice to use UPS. Someone at Tesla made an unwise decision to relinquish control of their delivery to a third party.

As much as I agree with this sentiment, I think someone accurately stated months ago on this forum that delivery logistics need not be Tesla's core competency. This is perfectly true, provided that a third party can perform the delivery in a reasonable timeframe.

I also wonder if a 2-3 week delivery timeframe will become a complete non-issue, once the reservation backlog has been cleared and you can order a car and have it ready for shipping in three weeks...particularly if you are never promised a 7-10 day delivery timeframe.

For those of you who got your car via direct ship (no DS) can you tell me how you got the title and temporary registration? Does it get delivered with the car, or does Tesla mail it?

My car is scheduled for delivery today (woohoo!) but I haven't yet received anything in the mail. I would hate to get the car and not be able to drive it due to lack of temporary registration!

For those of you who got your car via direct ship (no DS) can you tell me how you got the title and temporary registration? Does it get delivered with the car, or does Tesla mail it?

My car is scheduled for delivery today (woohoo!) but I haven't yet received anything in the mail. I would hate to get the car and not be able to drive it due to lack of temporary registration!

I have a local DS, but once I paid, about a week later I received the title and temporary registration about a week later via FedEx.

I have a local DS, but once I paid, about a week later I received the title and temporary registration about a week later via FedEx.

^^^This. My DS has already sent the paperwork to me to transfer my plates from my old car to the Tesla and also sent the temp. registration. I don't think I will need the temp CA registration since I will just be throwing my old tags on the car.

Jared had the temporary tags when he delivered my car and applied it to the back windshield.

Well whatever my DS did it worked. I got a call from the delivery company and the car is coming sometime this afternoon! They still can't tell me exactly when but sometime after 2. I really can't say enough about my DS, he's been fantastic.

There seems to be a lull in reported VINs. Is it because I'm hyper-sensitive to it, knowing that I should be getting my VIN in the very near future, or is there really a lull?

def seems to be a lull. probably because they put out too many VINs at end of 2012 and are still trying to catch up with the backlog.

i'm def hoping to be included in the next round as well. good luck to ya...

Sigh... Quote from my DS when I told him about me contacting UPS directly -

"...cars often take a day or two longer than originally planned."

I really hope not, I'm so tired of the constant dragging out of this process.

I called the UPS number and spoke with someone and gave him the last 6 of my VIN. He said to hold on and then came back to me and said I needed to call the cell number of "Jamie" who appears to be someone with Tesla. I called and got a voicemail message.

At least you got a new delivery window. My DS wouldn't even commit to that!

yea he spit that out, more of an estimate than an official delivery window. he said the delivery window would appear on the MYTESLA page tomorrow (that was 2 days ago), apparently unaware that nothing at all appears on that page except "We are currently building your Model S" and a trick button entitled "Delivery" which I'm pretty sure some prankster Tesla IT guy just put on there to see how many times breathless reservations holders would press it hoping something would happen...

Lyon, whereabouts are you roughly?

Eugene, Oregon. The car is coming down from Portland, Or. I just got a call about 40 minutes ago that the car was just getting loaded on the truck and headed my way!

- - - Updated - - -

This is more of a hit piece because of his personal issues with Tesla's production ramp than an actual news-worthy item. Oh well, you know what they say about pissing of the guy who buys "ink" by the barrel...

12/30 completed car. Tesla rep was unable to find out specifics about delivery (just like during production) except I was told that the car was shipped on 12/31. He was only able to make general predictions about delivery and was pretty poorly informed. I feel for the guy 'cause he doesn't seem to have any way to get information. I was able to reach UPS by leaving a message on the voicemail number seen in this thread. Got a call back from an extremely helpful guy who predicted this Sunday (1/6) delivery - then called a couple hours later to semi-confirm it. When questioned, he said the car was not going to be sent to a hub - just delivered to me. It was a breath of fresh air to talk to a capable guy who had resources at his disposal to allow him to inform the customer. In contrast, it made Tesla seem very unprepared for the volume. I guess we'll see on Sunday... Does anyone else think they might have a car on this (Northeast OH) load?