Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Design Combinations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So that put's to rest any questions WRT Elon's car exterior color. Quite remarkable that he dissed the gun metal wheels on his performance Model S, too.
Oh, wait - are we going to read "the gun metal rims for the performance wheels are an option available later in early ..."? :scared:

Is anyone getting the Signature non-Performance? I am on the fence (actually waffling between GP Performance in Green and Signature non-performance).

I'm currently planning to get signature non-performance. My current POR (not locked in or called yet) is Sig Red, 19" wheels, Pano roof, and either tan or white + lacewood. While I love the look of the turbine wheels, I know they're going to get a rash quickly, and I'm not enthused about a new set of tires every year. It's sad that there is no offset for the 19" wheels, but so be it (this has been discussed a lot).

At the time, I kept telling myself that I didn't need a 0-60/4.4 car (I'm not a particularly aggressive driver, and have never owned a car that was even remotely as powerful as the regular Model S). The regular S will seem like a rocket to me.

However, I'm starting to have bad thoughts.. about actually getting the performance version, with the "will I regret not getting it" argument. If I did this, I'd probably go for CF trim but no spoiler.

So, I'm like you, waffling. I expect to get my call in the next couple of weeks.

What's crazy is that I'm *still* likely to get the regular 19" wheels even with the performance version. Are the 21" wheels required to actually use the extra oomph that the performance version will give me?

/Mitch.

What's crazy is that I'm *still* likely to get the regular 19" wheels even with the performance version. Are the 21" wheels required to actually use the extra oomph that the performance version will give me?

If you purchase some nice 19" sport tires there will be likely very little performance differences between 19" and 21" without going to a track, and really knowing what you are doing, and looking for.

The tires that come with the 19" and 21" are not equal, but you can purchase equal tires.

Don't think the 21" wheels are required for the performance but ElSupreme is right about the tires being different between the two (more all season tires on the 19" rims vs. max performance summer tires on the 21" rims). The spoiler can be removed after the fact if you don't like it as well. Do you get much snow where you live? I decided to get the 21" wheels since they're already paid for and at least use them until the tires need replacing. Then I can look into the 19" rims if I want and sell the 21" rims maybe.

That is so funny, you described my position almost exactly! The only exception is that I am likely to keep the 21" wheels as I am in NY (not what you would expect, huh?) and as such pretty much can justify a 2nd set of tires with true snows (not all-season tires). By alternating the usage of the tires I actually burn rubber at a lower rate than just 21s which would save some money.

I'm currently planning to get signature non-performance. My current POR (not locked in or called yet) is Sig Red, 19" wheels, Pano roof, and either tan or white + lacewood. While I love the look of the turbine wheels, I know they're going to get a rash quickly, and I'm not enthused about a new set of tires every year. It's sad that there is no offset for the 19" wheels, but so be it (this has been discussed a lot).

At the time, I kept telling myself that I didn't need a 0-60/4.4 car (I'm not a particularly aggressive driver, and have never owned a car that was even remotely as powerful as the regular Model S). The regular S will seem like a rocket to me.

However, I'm starting to have bad thoughts.. about actually getting the performance version, with the "will I regret not getting it" argument. If I did this, I'd probably go for CF trim but no spoiler.

So, I'm like you, waffling. I expect to get my call in the next couple of weeks.

/Mitch.

/Mitch.

I had the same waffling that you do... I ended up with the following decisions:

1) Went with the Signature Performance. Basically, figured that if I am going to buy a car this expensive, I really don't want any regrets. (My most expensive car before this is an Acura TL).
2) Went with the silver 21 wheels, though I would have rathered 19 inch "turbine" wheels. I will actually probably buy some 19 inch rims in the future to get all season/winter tires unless I can find a 21 inch all season tire that will work. I agree on the curb rash - that is the main reason I avoided the carbon wheels.

From what I understand you will get the same "oomph" from the 19 inch wheels, though they may not corner quite as well.

Don't think the 21" wheels are required for the performance but ElSupreme is right about the tires being different between the two (more all season tires on the 19" rims vs. max performance summer tires on the 21" rims). The spoiler can be removed after the fact if you don't like it as well. Do you get much snow where you live? I decided to get the 21" wheels since they're already paid for and at least use them until the tires need replacing. Then I can look into the 19" rims if I want and sell the 21" rims maybe.

Zero snow here in the SF Bay Area, and I'm not likely to take my Model S to Tahoe or anything. Chains on a Model S.... what an awful thought.

I'm not a racer, so no track time for me. My Model S will be my daily car. Probably the most performance-related maneuvers that I'll do (other than occasionally showing off) will be freeway onramps and quick passing. For someone like me, the performance version is hard to justify.

dsm363: good point about the wheels, maybe that's the right path - get the turbine wheels now, see how it goes, replace later.

Now I just need to decide white vs tan. The tan is growing on me now, after seeing the white(exterior) beta at Santana Row a month or so ago.

I'm sure all of us wafflers will feel better once we've actually locked our decisions in, no matter what we decided :).

/Mitch.

I also resolved the decision with the "compromise" of getting the Signature Performance.

If you have to make a choice - I would wait and get the Performance. The green is a great color and if that is your first choice, go for it. In the bay area there will be dozens of Red Signatures on the road and they won't be that unique. Go for the features over the "exclusivity."

19" wheels will work great with good summer rubber - the problem is that on a Performance this costs more than the 21" wheels (since you need to buy good tires). I'm going to try to live with the 21" set.