Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S did not win Green Car Vision Award

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I dunno - while airlines are now legally required to disclose all fees, those fees (undisclosed) made it difficult to compare competing flights. However, the tax credit DOES make a difference when comparing base prices on cars. So as long as it says $49,900 with federal tax credit applied, I'm good.

I dunno - while airlines are now legally required to disclose all fees, those fees (undisclosed) made it difficult to compare competing flights. However, the tax credit DOES make a difference when comparing base prices on cars. So as long as it says $49,900 with federal tax credit applied, I'm good.

Does it make a difference that the federal tax credit may not apply to all buyers? Most, yes, but not necessarily all.

I agree with other posters that advertising 49900 as a base price is wrong. Last I checked, you have to cough up 57400 plus applicable sales tax to get the car in your hands. Then apply for the credit in your tax return, assuming you qualify. It's akin to how Best Buy used to advertise prices "after mail-in rebate", where you had to mail four forms, sign up for a life time subscription of junk mail and get a check back after six months.

Now, if TM finds a way to apply the tax credit at time of purchase, consider all I said withdrawn... :smile:

Now, if TM finds a way to apply the tax credit at time of purchase, consider all I said withdrawn... :smile:

They probably won't want to! Tesla Toronto handled the Ontario EV rebate for me, and the government managed to rather bungle up the whole thing. It was the first EV rebate the government had ever processed, so maybe you could cut them some slack, but it must have gone downhill from there. Soon thereafter Tesla stopped handling the rebates.

My issue is that their vision is outdated. It's a plug in hybrid with a limited range. My neighbor has a Prius which is converted to be a plug in. I think the conversion cost him around 10K. I think he said he gets around 100 mpg.
Their visions are hybrids with plugs, and quite frankly, I would expect that in 2005, not 2012. Prius started it and continues to this day.
What ? Someone converted a Prius and thus Energi's vision is outdated ?

There are tons of people who have DIY BEVs - that doesn't make Tesla's vision outdated.

The basic question is - how do you get the masses moving off fossil fuels. There is no single answer to that - until someone can make a 300 mile family car that can recharge in 15 minutes for $20k. Until then we need BEVs and PHEVs. The challenge is to produce cars in large numbers and sell at a price that can sustain those large numbers.

The decision could not have been made based on price because Ford hasn't released pricing yet. Although they have said that Fusion will not be priced to sell as many cars as possible. In other words, they're angling the new Fusion at a higher quality market.

What ? Someone converted a Prius and thus Energi's vision is outdated ?

There are tons of people who have DIY BEVs - that doesn't make Tesla's vision outdated.
If a company such Hymotion had the vision in 2006 and implemented earlier and had a longer plug in range, not to mention other manufacturers had the vision beforehand. Ford's vision is outdated. Copying 6 year old technology and doing it worse than the original is not a vision it's following.

Yes there are plenty of DIY BEVs, but they do not have the range of the Tesla. The reason the Ford is outdated tech is because in the late 2000's people were converting Prii to electric plug ins that had double the plug in range. I would be saying the same thing about the Model S if 5 years ago they had a DIY BEV that could take a 50 K vehicle and put 50 K of modifications and have a 600 mile range.

Last edited: