Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Exterior: Paint Armor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you mean the Tesla factory is or is not pre cut, as above...?

The Tesla factory paint armor is considered pre-cut versus a 3rd party custom job. Most custom jobs which would roll the armor over the edge and the seam would be underneath the hood. Not to say that you could not get pre-cut by a 3rd party as well. The danger with 3rd party installers is that many of them suck, use razor blades to cut the film right on the paint and into your paint, which you can't tell as it appears to be the edge line on the film. Just like tint installers, finding a good shop requires some leg work.

Thanks - think I will get the Tesla Armor and re-do the hood if it really bugs me. Seems financially the best choice and the path of least resistance.

This is what I ended up doing.

And I got lots of info in the process. The name Starshield was specifically used with reference to the Tesla kit. Sounds like Starshield installers put it on at the factory.

As I talked about earlier, I was unhappy with the first application. Tesla happily and quickly arranged for it to be replaced at my local service center. The redo was also with the kit (but I was told it has been updated a bit, but I'm unclear on the exact difference). And it turned out great.

So at this point, I would recommend going with the Tesla armor except for the hood. If you don't like that, it was pretty straightforward to get it replaced. Only issue is the Tesla hood is really big, and they were barely able to cover it with one sheet. But they did manage it.

- - - Updated - - -

The problem with pre cut kits is that they do not roll over the edges. The front edge-line/lip of the hood is exposed and anything that hits the edge of the hood will definitely chip since it's a weak point in the paint anyways. Some hoods don't have the lip/edge of the hood exposed and is recessed / flush with the bumper or other front fascia.

Actually, the Tesla one does in many places. It seems like they left an extra tab to roll over.

Last edited:
This is what I ended up doing.

And I got lots of info in the process. The name Starshield was specifically used with reference to the Tesla kit. Sounds like Starshield installers put it on at the factory.

Thanks dadaleus. Do you know exactly what version of Starshield we should ask the aftermarket installers for so it matches (I think there is more than one). I'm going to do the same thing.

After canceling my paint armor order I had to resign the entire set of paper work, so adding it back in would be a similar process I suppose, but if I had to go after market for the hood anyway I might as well go after market for the whole thing.

After canceling my paint armor order I had to resign the entire set of paper work, so adding it back in would be a similar process I suppose, but if I had to go after market for the hood anyway I might as well go after market for the whole thing.

That's probably would I would do at this point. You'll spend more but get more coverage too.

Only issue is the Tesla hood is really big, and they were barely able to cover it with one sheet. But they did manage it.

Dadeleus, did the newer pre-cut Tesla kit provide more hood coverage? Or did you ask them to cover the entire hood outside of the kit?

Never mind, I just saw your answer a few posts earlier!

"Tesla redid the armor on my S (except the hood which I replaced on my own to go full hood) today. "

Is it that bad that it doesn't wrap around the edges, or is it just the look?
i haven't ever had chips on edges of any car
I contacted my rep to cancel it but then decided not to. I'm getting grey and was thinking it won't look bad.

It really doesn't look that bad and getting after market coverage will likely cost double. Tesla's version is better than nothing I guess but for those concerned about the line along the hood, getting it done after delivery might be way to go.

Are you supposed to get the car detailed before you do a segment like the hood over again?

Are you supposed to get the car detailed before you do a segment like the hood over again?

Just a simple wash, they will have to prep the paint to remove oils/waxes in order for the adhesives to adhere. So any detailing in term of glazes, detailers, waxes, etc will end up being removed.

If the paint already has scratches and swirls then you'd want to get those removed (via polishing) otherwise they'd be locked in under the paint armor.

Is it that bad that it doesn't wrap around the edges, or is it just the look?

The Tesla kit does wrap in many places.

- - - Updated - - -

Dadeleus, did the newer pre-cut Tesla kit provide more hood coverage? Or did you ask them to cover the entire hood outside of the kit?

Never mind, I just saw your answer a few posts earlier!

"Tesla redid the armor on my S (except the hood which I replaced on my own to go full hood) today. "

Right. No, the new kit still is only partial hood. I had it done elsewhere.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks dadaleus. Do you know exactly what version of Starshield we should ask the aftermarket installers for so it matches (I think there is more than one). I'm going to do the same thing.

I didn't ask. I didn't even think about matching. My 3rd party place (Al & Eds in West Hollywood) used 3M film and I can't tell the difference visually. But absolutely no orange peel--it's perfectly flat.

Note that doing the entire hood is extremely hard. It's a huge space to cover with one sheet. There are a couple very minor flaws in mine which they said it would be virtually impossible to cover that large a space without any flaws at all, but I would have never noticed them without doing a very close and detailed inspection. (I actually didn't notice, but a Tesla service manager pointed them out to me when he inspected it. But even he agreed it was a very good job.)

Last edited:
Given the after market cost, it looks like I'll probably end up skipping the armor entirely. I'm not sure how I feel about that, though I've never had paint armor before. I really wish Tesla had a whole hood option.

Given the after market cost, it looks like I'll probably end up skipping the armor entirely. I'm not sure how I feel about that, though I've never had paint armor before. I really wish Tesla had a whole hood option.

I asked Tesla to consider a second Paint armor package that includes the entire hood so we'll see if that happens at some point.

For those getting paint armor, I saw a well travelled Audio R8 today with armor on the hood and it had taken so many hits that it appeared as if it was covered in snowflakes as the armor looked very white where it had been struck by small pebbles and debris from the road.

I don't know if this is repairable but it was very noticeable on black paint.