Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Exterior: Paint Armor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the Avery film? Great price. I'd do the entire hood too if they do it that cheap. They need the 60" rolls.

It's the Xpel product.

So, I talked some more with my installer today and I've decided to leave the doors till later but I'm getting the rocker panel done.

So total for everything Tesla was going to do plus full hood plus all edges wrapped plus rocker panels is $1600.

The 3M product is clearer but does yellow over time. The 3M film on my Roadster is already yellowing after 2 years. The Avery film is a little less clear but has a lifetime warranty against yellowing. It is a little more expensive though. The installer I used said he's used 3M exclusively (Venture shield I think) for a few years mainly since they never had the 60" size. My car was the first time he'd used Avery for a hood and in general in awhile and is going to be switching over to that now. I don't know anything about the Xpel film but the price is certainly better.

That's one of the problems with a white car. Also, do you park in the sun often? What kind of wax have you used?

Good point. You wouldn't notice on a darker color car. It's a slight yellowing but obvious on the white car. The car is always in a garage or covered at work but would spend some time outside while driving of course and a few other times out in the sun. It has not been a car that sits out in the sun every day. It was detailed maybe 4 times in 2 years but not sure what they used. Think it was mostly the synthetic waxes.

The kit changed several months ago to a less coverage kit. It took them a while to update the website when it happened. Many of the smaller bits were removed.

When I received my car I was surprised to find this out. They did change to a kit with less coverage, but that was after I finalized and I was never notified.
I had called around to installers and then purchased the paint armor thinking it was a deal for such an extensive kit. I kind of feel a little cheated since I didn't get what I supposedly paid for. But I have no recourse since I already accepted delivery.
:(

Anybody else notice the price increase on the factory armor kit? I paid $950 (and it was delivered on my car) but the web site price is now showing $1450, +$500! Seems like the exact same kit. If they changed to full hood at the additional cost it would explain this, but the drawing appears the same.

Make 3rd party installers with full hood for less than $1450 look pretty good!

Anybody else notice the price increase on the factory armor kit? I paid $950 (and it was delivered on my car) but the web site price is now showing $1450, +$500! Seems like the exact same kit. If they changed to full hood at the additional cost it would explain this, but the drawing appears the same.

Make 3rd party installers with full hood for less than $1450 look pretty good!
Up thread, people noticed that the price moved up AND that the coverage image is different.

In the OP, there is one image. About mid-thread (well, about 1/3rd) there's another image. And there's yet a 3rd image on the TeslaMotors.com gear page. So apparently they have at least 3 versions of "what is covered" w/r/t Paint Armor from Tesla directly. Ninja updates like this (especially after having already paid based on the first image) are annoying and troubling; Tesla can do better.

As for me, I'm dropping off my vehicle today with a 3rd party -- contracted by Tesla to do my "factory" Paint Armor 2 months + 1 day after I took delivery. There's an additional $750 to do the full hood, and I'm debating on whether to do the sides for another $1,000 ($500 each).

A full Xpel "self healing" wrap (like Blurry's) jumps the price to like $7,500 over the already-paid Tesla Paint Armor at the same place. I'm probably not going that route, but sharing the data for forum consideration.

Last edited:
I am not as motivated as LizG to go aftermarket (though it may be a better, more customized wrap), and went with Tesla Paint Armor as the cost is competitive, I am worried I'll blow it off if I don't do it before delivery, I have to believe Tesla does a nice job with this at the factory, my p#1079 is Blue not white, and I live in New England where there is more rubble than pavement on most highways.

Hi. I was would like to know if you actually got the paint armor and are you happy with it? I am getting the same color in a week or two and am debating to add it.
btw. pics look great
Thanks

Just recieved the following from Tesla on the Paint Armor - seems pretty comprehensive....

This is NOT the paint armor kit Tesla is sending out to be installed, at least in Washington State. I'm still upset about it. The paint armor from Tesla is NOT what they have posted on the website. That stuff, which I paid $950 for, would have been great. What they sent to Metropolitan Detail, who did the install, had only front bumper, half hood, and rear view mirrors. I got totally duped by Metropolitan Detail and ended up spending another $2k for full front fenders (not inlcuded in the Tesla kit even though on the website it is), full hood (another $750), and the rest of the Tesla kit. I feel totally ripped off. I haven't seen the job yet--still at Tesla installing the spoiler--and I'm sure I'll be happy to have the car protected, but that $2k was going to go for winter tires which I now can't afford. Just be cautious--don't let them upsell you on anything.

If I had it to do over, I'd be hard pressed to do the armor at all. Buying a car through Tesla was stress-free, but this process felt like dealing with car salesmen...James at the Tesla service center was great, but I still ended up spending $2k more to get not quite the same coverage I thought I was getting based upon the picture on the Tesla site...I definitely feel misled by Tesla here and duped by the sharks at the detail place.

- - - Updated - - -

Brianman--are you in Seattle? These are the exact prices I was quoted by Metropolitan Detail. I haven't seen the work yet, but (as you can tell from my other post) I feel misled by Tesla about the coverage, and ripped off in general as what I have on my car cost $2k more for less coverage IN ADDITION to the $950 I already paid.

David
Up thread, people noticed that the price moved up AND that the coverage image is different.

In the OP, there is one image. About mid-thread (well, about 1/3rd) there's another image. And there's yet a 3rd image on the TeslaMotors.com gear page. So apparently they have at least 3 versions of "what is covered" w/r/t Paint Armor from Tesla directly. Ninja updates like this (especially after having already paid based on the first image) are annoying and troubling; Tesla can do better.

As for me, I'm dropping off my vehicle today with a 3rd party -- contracted by Tesla to do my "factory" Paint Armor 2 months + 1 day after I took delivery. There's an additional $750 to do the full hood, and I'm debating on whether to do the sides for another $1,000 ($500 each).

A full Xpel "self healing" wrap (like Blurry's) jumps the price to like $7,500 over the already-paid Tesla Paint Armor at the same place. I'm probably not going that route, but sharing the data for forum consideration.

Hi. I was would like to know if you actually got the paint armor and are you happy with it? I am getting the same color in a week or two and am debating to add it.
btw. pics look great
Thanks
My blue car has the factory armor. Out the door I was happy. After a week of dust accumulating on the car, I'm less happy. On an unclean car, the line on the hood where the armor ends is readily apparent. If I had to do it again, I'd pass on the armor or I'd find a 3rd party that does the entire hood.

My blue car has the factory armor. Out the door I was happy. After a week of dust accumulating on the car, I'm less happy. On an unclean car, the line on the hood where the armor ends is readily apparent. If I had to do it again, I'd pass on the armor or I'd find a 3rd party that does the entire hood.

I had someone remove the hood portion and redo it with entire hood covered with Avery Nano fusion film. Looks good.

I went with an after market install. And I got almost my entire car done including edges wrapped and door handles covered. Only thing left to do is the upper part of the rear quarter panel, trunk and the sides of the pano roof. This cost $2325. Had it done by Clear Auto Bra, they used Xpel. Part templates and part custom. They did a really good job, especially considering the time contraints they had with me needing the car for the auto show. I do have a few bubbles but they tell me those should go away once the paint armor gets heated up. Though with our current temps that may take awhile. If it doesnt they warranty it for 10 years so they'll fix it.

I'm glad I went with the after market. Especially since I was able to get the entire hood done and the edges wrapped, plus the door handles. The door handles were already starting to collect scratches.

Wow. Based on epley's experience and the fact that the description of the paint armor on the website appears to differ from reality, I just reached out to Tesla to remove paint armor from my order. I'll take it to a local shop.

Sorry to hear about your experience, epley.

A

Is anyone happy with the factory installed paint armor?

Other than the lack on entire hood coverage, I am. The installer who did the hood said the rest of the car looked good and didn't think anything additional needed to be done. That said, if you're going to re-do the entire hood it might make more sense to do the entire thing aftermarket.

... including edges wrapped and door handles covered. ...

Hi, Can you elaborate on what you mean? Is every edge completely wrapped? I had a quote on a very high end install and the pieces were laser cut and came close to the edges, but did not wrap around all the edges. For example the panels around the headlights were covered very close to the edge but did not actually wrap around.

The installer said he would have to pull off the panels to wrap all the edges and would be much more expensive. Should I find another installer? Or is that the way it is?