Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S for commuters?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drive about 80 miles a day round trip and would dearly love to spend that time in a Tesla! Lol

BUT, is this car a good choice given the number of miles I would put on it?

Or is it more like an exotic car that is driven on special occasions?

I have driven a Tesla and was very impressed, but I know the maintaining of a car is another issue.

Thanks for any advice!

I chose to buy a Model S because I have a 190 mile round trip commute. What car could possibly be better? Purchased a solar system not long after the car which provides 100% clean and very cheap power for the car, truly zero emissions and no reliance on OPEC. How could you not buy a Tesla for your commute?

Thanks everyone. Guess I was afraid of putting too many miles on the vehicle and being out of warranty very quickly with a car with pricey parts. Or maybe just wearing out the battery! Lol.

Just explored some certified used options. Since all the bells and whistles are an upgrade from my current ride, maybe the 2013s are a good option.

Appreciate it and I'll be visiting the board often.

Don't forget the Novemberish and later 2014 cars have all the autopilot hardware which would be really nice for a long commute like yours. I'd consider an inventory car or new.

So far MS is very reliable car, but after warranty repair can be a concern. Most of the cars on the road are covered by manufacturer warranty, so no issue there. It is a luxury car, therefore one may, and should expect that after warranty expire repairs can be expensive. I believe the main question here should be: can you afford to buy MS? Potential fuel cost savings should be secondary reason. In some areas of the country driving MS can be free, however if you pay for electricity say $0.15 kWh and gasoline $2.40 than driving 100KM will cost $5K in MS and $4.8 in Prius.

Last edited:
The more you drive a Model S, the more value you get for the rather pricey initial purchase. I've put some 130k km on mine, saving somewhere north of $15k in fuel costs. If I only drove it 10k a year, the combination of low distance and vampire losses would mean much less value.

Without doubt, the Tesla is an awesome commute car. You have more than enough battery capacity to handle a drive like that. I did 110 mi/day on 80% charge with no worries whatsoever. And I dropped my fuel cost from 650/mth to under 100. On mountainous roads, no less. You are A-OK.

Sorry for most likely repeating what everybody else has said. In a rush and did not read the entire thread.

I drive about 80 miles a day round trip and would dearly love to spend that time in a Tesla! Lol

I have driven a Tesla and was very impressed, but I know the maintaining of a car is another issue.

Thanks for any advice!

What else can I add, but to say that I love my P85D as a commuter. About 80 miles round-trip 2-3 days per week. Most of my driving is freeway, and with TACC is is sooo much more relaxing. Next gen seats are also extremely comfortable.

As others' have said, no worries about battery capacity at all.

I've driven 5,700 miles in the last 6 weeks, partially for work and partially for joy. Now my daily commute is the best part of my work day. I still love my job, but the ride to and from is amazing. :) It's also quite economical considering it's 1/5th the price of gas per mile.

- K

I love these kinds of threads! My commute is recently 150 miles RT. Fortunately my utility has a "super off-peak" time they push for EV's, which is $0.03 / kwh. So my commute costs me $1.45 a day in fuel, compared to a similar luxury sedan which would cost (locally, premium is I think $2.80 x 20mpg =) $21. That's $390 a month or $4,680 a year.

But then we just passed 50,000 miles in one year and two weeks, and most of those miles were fueled by superchargers. In fact the 150 mile, buck 45 commute is fairly recent. We go most weekends from AZ to CA, and just did our second PHX - SEA trip (1700 miles RT). In a luxury sedan that gas would have cost $7,000, so I guess my car only cost me $104,000 for the first year, while a $70,000 Audi would have cost me $77K. Which means we would cross over around 2.5 years and maybe 125,000 miles or something like that ;-)

That's a lot of highway miles though and I need an autopilot. New or used, if you commute much do consider getting one that is autopilot capable.

Thanks everyone. Guess I was afraid of putting too many miles on the vehicle and being out of warranty very quickly with a car with pricey parts. Or maybe just wearing out the battery! Lol.

Just explored some certified used options. Since all the bells and whistles are an upgrade from my current ride, maybe the 2013s are a good option.

Appreciate it and I'll be visiting the board often.

I'm not sure if the CPOs have the same warrantee, however the new cars have a 8 year unlimited miles warrantee on the drivetrain and batteries.

The new 70Ds are such an incredible deal, relatively speaking, I highly recommend checking those out.

Don't forget the Novemberish and later 2014 cars have all the autopilot hardware which would be really nice for a long commute like yours.

Yep. Mine is way too early for that, but my commute is about 80% freeway and going against the heavy flow of traffic. Auto Pilot would be perfect for my commute.

- - - Updated - - -

Man, some people have brutal commutes ... I had to commute 65 miles RT daily for a year once and hated it ...

My +/- 90 mile commute is much more relaxing than my previous +/- 20 mile commute into downtown Toronto. The stop-and-go plus aggressive drivers was just brutal. Now I head away from the city, against traffic. Just hit cruise control and listen to my tunes!

Thanks for any advice!

Heavy commuting? Consider buying used. The guts of an EV don't wear down as much as an ICE vehicle and as such, a 50,000 mile Tesla is almost new in terms of maintenance. But a 50,000 mile Tesla will be well below original price, including the Rear Wheel Drive variety. You might be able to get a used MS 60 for under $50,000 this year.

If buying new, depreciation, insurance and overall cost is roughly $1/mile over the first couple years. That is pretty pricy for an 80 mile daily round trip. If you look at the financial impact of a decision as a "what will it cost me to do this..."

I commute 80miles to work round trip- which is what opened the door to seeking electric. Now, I enjoy the drive so much, I sometimes wish it was longer! 2000 miles in 3weeks so far. (Includes kid school bus duty and few errand runs.) Do it. It will make as much sense for you as it has for me.

I purchased a Model S because I felt it was the BEST commuter vehicle. I do a 162 mile RT commute 3-4 times a week. I wanted the quietest, most efficient, comfortable, driver assisted, safe, trouble free car I could get. This is it! Loving my stress free commute. The 17" touch screen is another bonus that the competition just doesn't have. Another additional bonus is the car is fun to drive while not commuting. No downside for me, as of yet.

Thanks for any advice!

It is the most practical and efficient car that exists on planet earth.

Has the looks of an exotic car but doesn't get 3 MPG or seats 1 other person