Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S goes schizo when cleaning the dash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SabrToothSqrl

Dec 5, 2014
PA
So... After getting done cleaning the windows with some windex in a can and blue paper towels, I grab a soft rag thing to clean the dust off the dash... I do this with... all my cars... but then I heard the noise of electro static and about 100 little pops of it as I wiped off the dash (top only) didn't think much off it... seriously 2-3 wipes back/forth. then the car goes NUTS! Heated seats on/off HVAC, everything on. Charging stopped music stopped, all sorts of weird stuff. I remove the cloth from the car, get back in. still going nuts! lol. So glad I have a long ass warranty... After rebooting the screens it seems normal again, but that was scary. I'd love to make a video but I don't really want to do that again... anyone else try to wipe off the dash?! and I mean dash, not the screen...

just put the screen in clean mode if you wipe the top of the dash when it is dry
there wasn't an option to do this years ago
I'm not an electrical engineer, but how would putting the screen in clean mode help static electricity problems caused by dusting the dash? It certainly helps when cleaning the 17" display itself to avoid errant touches and actions, but static on the (top) dash itself under the windshield? :confused: