TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model S goes schizo when cleaning the dash

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by SabrToothSqrl, May 17, 2016.

1. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

So... After getting done cleaning the windows with some windex in a can and blue paper towels, I grab a soft rag thing to clean the dust off the dash... I do this with... all my cars... but then I heard the noise of electro static and about 100 little pops of it as I wiped off the dash (top only) didn't think much off it... seriously 2-3 wipes back/forth. then the car goes NUTS! Heated seats on/off HVAC, everything on. Charging stopped music stopped, all sorts of weird stuff. I remove the cloth from the car, get back in. still going nuts! lol. So glad I have a long ass warranty... After rebooting the screens it seems normal again, but that was scary. I'd love to make a video but I don't really want to do that again... anyone else try to wipe off the dash?! and I mean dash, not the screen...

2. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

It's happened to me too. I always slightly dampen the cloth now.

3. Zextraterrestrial

just put the screen in clean mode if you wipe the top of the dash when it is dry
    there wasn't an option to do this years ago

4. BertL

BertL Active Member

I'm not an electrical engineer, but how would putting the screen in clean mode help static electricity problems caused by dusting the dash? It certainly helps when cleaning the 17" display itself to avoid errant touches and actions, but static on the (top) dash itself under the windshield? :confused:

5. Zextraterrestrial

I also keeps the screen from going crazy from the static 'touches' on the top of the dash that translate to screen touches -even though you can be well over 1 foot away from the screen you can make the top of the dash 'push buttons' on the screen

6. BertL

BertL Active Member

Interesting. Thanks. Learned something new again today.

7. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

Model S... You so crazy!

• Funny x 1