Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - Headliner Gap?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my Model S 75D Oct 2017 build recently and this morning as I was getting into my car I've noticed the gaps between the glass roof and headliner.

Is this normal for Tesla or is it something they need to fix at the service center? This doesn't look right.

Side Headliner
IMG_20171101_041530.jpg

Front Headliner
IMG_20171101_041523.jpg

It's difficult to see from your pictures, and also to compare with mine as I have the dark headliner.
however, the largest gap on the long edge in mine is approximately 8mm (I can just about get the tip of my index finger into the gap), and at the front of the car the largest gap is about 4mm.

It's difficult to see from your pictures, and also to compare with mine as I have the dark headliner.
however, the largest gap on the long edge in mine is approximately 8mm (I can just about get the tip of my index finger into the gap), and at the front of the car the largest gap is about 4mm.

Yeah it looks like mine is much more close to 1.5 inches. I think it needs to be fixed.

Right Side
IMG_20171101_065747.jpg

Left Side
IMG_20171101_065645.jpg

Uh... not 1.5 inches, but 1.2 cm or 12mm.

OMG I am so embarrassed. I read the wrong side of the tape measure and after reading your post and measured again I've noticed I was tricked by the reflection of the glass roof. The mirrored reflection made it look much worst in person. It's actually half an inch.

I guess I'm the fool on this one. :(

Last edited:
My understanding is that the headliner is velcro'd up there. Have you tried just pushing up on it to tighten the bond?

The gap isn't as bad as I original thought tricked by mirrored reflection. But the gap is still there and very noticeable so I'm hoping they can make adjustments making it less noticeable. It's actually half an inch.

Last edited:
The gap isn't as bad as I original thought tricked by mirrored reflection. But the gap is still there and very noticeable so I'm hoping they can make adjustments making it less noticeable. It's actually half an inch.
Yeah, when I looked at my car the gap seemed fine, but when I went to take a picture it looked ridiculous because of the reflections.

My gap between headliner and all glass roof is just over 1/2" at both b-pillars and just under 1/2" in the rear. It's flush up front. When I brought it to the service center they said they couldn't do anything to correct it and it was within tolerance. Yeah, years of model s builds and still have quality control issues. I stuffed some rubber tubing just to in case it was contributing to the wind/road noise.

That large gap seems in line with most recent builds. My loaner, built in july, also had a larger gap between all glass roof and headliner than my Dec 2016 build car (which is as close to flush as can be). Tesla is just very variable. I've seen headliner pieces that don't match on the A pillars and large gaps. One A pillar segment of mine is narrower than the joining piece so it looks wonky but I've gotten used to it.