Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - HPWC (High Power Wall Connector)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine did not come with a cable organizer either and I did the new 4.3 update last night and today my charger setting in the car is limited to 60 amps, will not go past the 60 setting and says on the screen, If you have an early version of HPWC limit charging to 60 amps until you get an HPWC upgrade.

I took it as it was a protection for the fuses in the HPWC, I made the assumption that they are releasing a hardware fix for the HPWC and I could go to 100 amp after the fix. I have not notified TESLA as I ( ASSUME ) the fix is in motion by the wording of the note. I am going to the Tampa service center in a few weeks and will check with them on what may be happening. That ASSUME is of course a dangerous word.

. My PoCo charges $34/month for an extra meter. My PoCo is also responsible for the cabling from their transformer to my meter. So if they try to pressure you for an additional meter service, be sure you ask about impact to your bills.

Ouch! ... just saw that. I went through the trouble of installing a dual meter panel (Siemens SP221) so that the car could be on a separate meter. I had been wanting to swap out my main panel anyway for the longest time (had old pushmatic breakers that were giving me all sorts of problems). It was my home improvement project last summer as I was anticipating having the car by the end of the 2012. Fortunately So. Cal. Edison doesn't charge for a second meter and I can get a reduced TOU- EV-1 rate in using it when charging off peak. I certainly wouldn't have done that if they charged extra for the second meter. Hard to believe, $34/mo sounds really high.

So here I am with everything ready but I'm still waiting for the car (I was a 40 kWh reservation holder - Jan 2012). I hear stories of others getting their car without even having the outlets in place. Who was to know the 40 kWh reservations where just a dream...

My HPWC arrived last week. My electrician finally had some free time in the morning and we got it installed. (He tells me all of a sudden he has 6 more to do, so they're definitely shipping).

While larger than the UMC, it's still a pretty small unit.

No cable organizer yet - for now I just coil the wire over the top of the unit.

The cable is thick enough that the garage door won't close over it. (Sometimes I leave the car outside when I'm working with tools in the garage).

I haven't changed any settings on the car and so far I'm getting reliable charges at 80A, no breaker trips, error messages, etc.

I ran conduit in the wall during last year's remodel, so the install came out pretty clean!

/Mitch.

IMG_2904.jpg

Nice clean install Mitch.

Thanks -- what you can't see in the picture is the sea of moving boxes that are still in the garage, preventing me from actually putting the car next to the charger. The cable's long enough to reach all the way to the left-side garage bay. I sure wish there were charge ports on both sides of the car though.

(in case you're wondering, the coils of wires at the bottom run to current sense transformers inside the breaker box. Every circuit has a monitor, or will have, when I finish building the monitor board!)

You mention the cable is thick and the door doesn't close over it. Do you mean the door bounces back up because it thinks it's an obstacle? That's a bad thing, no?

Yes -- but: I suppose it's a good thing if it was your foot (a bare foot is about the same thickness as that cable). All it means for me is that I need to leave the door open while charging... or better yet, score huge points with the wife by getting those boxes out of there!

/Mitch.

It's not a bad thing if you're in California, but up here in Canada, if you want to be able to charge outside, you need to be able to close the garage door cuz it can get mighty cold out there!

Oh well, I'll know soon enough if the door lets me do it. The door closes on my UMC cable no problem, but I'm sure the HPWC is thicker.

(in case you're wondering, the coils of wires at the bottom run to current sense transformers inside the breaker box. Every circuit has a monitor, or will have, when I finish building the monitor board!)
Hi MitchL, what kind of power monitor do you use? I have TED5004 and is max out to monitor 4 breakers. I would like to add two and am shopping for power monitor that won't interfere with the TED. Is yours a Engage? What model?

On-topic part:

The HPWC cable is definitely thicker. One "problem" with it is that eventually when I get both our cars into the garage, the tesla connector sticks out far enough that my wife might hit it when she comes in to park. The HPWC's cable does not bend as easily, so it sticks out even further. It's easy enough for me just to wait till she comes home before charging, but a more sensible location for the charge port would be better. (Gen3 will fix this, right Tesla?)

Hi MitchL, what kind of power monitor do you use? I have TED5004 and is max out to monitor 4 breakers. I would like to add two and am shopping for power monitor that won't interfere with the TED. Is yours a Engage? What model?

Off-topic part: I'll send you a PM (though I think we have an energy monitor thread here somewhere). The gist is: it's my own design.

/Mitch.

My HPWC arrived last week. My electrician finally had some free time in the morning and we got it installed. (He tells me all of a sudden he has 6 more to do, so they're definitely shipping).

While larger than the UMC, it's still a pretty small unit.

No cable organizer yet - for now I just coil the wire over the top of the unit.

The cable is thick enough that the garage door won't close over it. (Sometimes I leave the car outside when I'm working with tools in the garage).

I haven't changed any settings on the car and so far I'm getting reliable charges at 80A, no breaker trips, error messages, etc.

I ran conduit in the wall during last year's remodel, so the install came out pretty clean!

/Mitch.

View attachment 19804

Mitch - I'm curious as to what that white oblong object is. Looks like it's plugged into an electrical outlet and phone line.

- - - Updated - - -

Had a local electrician install my HPWC w/ a new sub panel. Total cost $940 w/ permit. Had to run cable 50ft from panel and was able to snake it thru the wall so there's no need for ugly conduit. SWEET.
Car is charging at 60A. Hope the upgrade comes soon but after charging at 12A......I'll take 60A.

Mitch - I'm curious as to what that white oblong object is. Looks like it's plugged into an electrical outlet and phone line.

It's an enPhase "envoy" PV energy monitor - it communicates with the micro-inverters in the solar panels and uploads stats to the web. To get the best signal it is electrically near the PV array. Right-hand breaker box is where the inverters aggregate together to feed the main panel (which is outside). Micro-inverters communicate to the envoy via power-line networking. The "phone line" is a Cat5e that runs back to the Ethernet switch in the server closet.

Had a local electrician install my HPWC w/ a new sub panel. Total cost $940 w/ permit. Had to run cable 50ft from panel and was able to snake it thru the wall so there's no need for ugly conduit. SWEET.
Car is charging at 60A. Hope the upgrade comes soon but after charging at 12A......I'll take 60A.

I wonder if I'm tempting fate by charging at 80A (no issues so far). I haven't received any "offical" communication from Tesla about running less, other than links to web pages here. I'm happy to dial it down, but if the only thing that can get damaged is the HPWC (and not the car) I'll just run it to failure.

My install cost $273 (under an existing permit). We did a bunch of prep work in advance (conduit in the walls, etc) and the run was very short, about 10 feet. Sounds like you got a good deal with the long run and new subpanel.

/Mitch.

Wow, this is a good deal. I assume the wires are at least 3awg. Does the $940 includes a 100Amp breaker. Is the new sub panel included in the $940 price?

What kind of cable?

If it's Romex, like Canadian NMD90, 3 AWG isn't enough for the 100A because Romex must be derated to 60 deg C. Other types of cable (like direct-bury SE cable) aren't suitable/rated for use indoors. Kinda interested in how he did it.

What kind of cable?

If it's Romex, like Canadian NMD90, 3 AWG isn't enough for the 100A because Romex must be derated to 60 deg C. Other types of cable (like direct-bury SE cable) aren't suitable/rated for use indoors. Kinda interested in how he did it.

I have no idea - he rolled in a large cable reel. I'll look on it tomorrow and see. I'm sure it meets the town code. Inspection is next week.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow, this is a good deal. I assume the wires are at least 3awg. Does the $940 includes a 100Amp breaker. Is the new sub panel included in the $940 price?

Yes everything is included. He added an 80 amp breaker in the main panel to bridge the sub panel and added the 100 amp breaker in the main panel. Electrician was $820 and permit was $120.