Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - HPWC (High Power Wall Connector)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's a bit better, it starts to make a bit more sense - with parts now becoming about $1500-1800 or so. At that length, it's reasonable to figure that labor and pulling that wire may take that much. I'd say it's starting to make sense now. One clarification question you might ask them is whether their "3-wire" specification means 2 hot + neutral, or whether the 3-wire includes ground. If they're assuming neutral, you can tell them it doesn't have to be and that they can forego the neutral, because it's 240V-only.

Thank you once again FlasherZ, your help with this has been invaluable. I've discovered another benefit of owning a Tesla, I get to learn all kinds of new things that otherwise I would never come across! Thanks again!

- - - Updated - - -

have you had Solar City give an estimate? It's worth trying them for that price.

I have tried, they gave me a contractor in the Chicagoland area, probably won't be cheaper since I've heard other members here complain about them being pricey.

I considered doing the same... But honestly, I'm tired of chasing tesla to do what's right. I asked when I went in for service, and they told me they were unicorns and no one was getting them. I informed them about TMC deliveries and basically got a shrug. Got the parcel shelf while there tho.

Thanks for that video mike. It's always the simple things...

I'm tired of chasing Tesla too, but unfortunately with this company the onus is entirely on the consumer to make sure you get what you paid for, in our case nearly 4 months ago.

But as for an update: the terrified youthful-sounding guy who received my call assured me that the HPWC will be delivered by 2/28. As signature 385 / vin 553 that seems a bit late given that people on this board and others with vins nearly 1k higher have reported receiving delivery. He acknowledged that and said he will "pass on this very valuable feedback to his manager."

I'm tired of chasing Tesla too, but unfortunately with this company the onus is entirely on the consumer to make sure you get what you paid for, in our case nearly 4 months ago.

But as for an update: the terrified youthful-sounding guy who received my call assured me that the HPWC will be delivered by 2/28. As signature 385 / vin 553 that seems a bit late given that people on this board and others with vins nearly 1k higher have reported receiving delivery. He acknowledged that and said he will "pass on this very valuable feedback to his manager."

I provided the same feedback to Luke. S1189/VIN S1049's HPWC is due to be manufactured and shipped on 2/28. When I told him that production cars with VIN's nearly 2000+ higher were getting their HPWC's, he stated that he hadn't heard that at all, yadda yadda. He also said he would pass that up, etc., etc.

Bottom line - I'm not really sure they have an understanding of how they're doing it, really. There's a random number generator out doing HPWC ships based on lottery. :)

Your sig tax dollars at work :biggrin:

I provided the same feedback to Luke. S1189/VIN S1049's HPWC is due to be manufactured and shipped on 2/28. When I told him that production cars with VIN's nearly 2000+ higher were getting their HPWC's, he stated that he hadn't heard that at all, yadda yadda. He also said he would pass that up, etc., etc.

Bottom line - I'm not really sure they have an understanding of how they're doing it, really. There's a random number generator out doing HPWC ships based on lottery. :)

It is a little bit terrifying that a $4.1bn company can't manage mailing out a piece of equipment with no variation in a numeric order.

If there were different colors, sizes, or shapes I'd understand, but these things are literally identical in every way. Very amateur.

I'd also be inclined to be more patient if SolarCity wasn't pushing us to pay for the installation that hasn't happened yet, as they've grown impatient waiting to finish the job in our garage they started last summer and get paid.

Lots of waiting. But I was really excited to come home yesterday to find the HPWC for my wife's Model S had been delivered!
Now I just have to get Solar City to install my new 200amp service and the new HPWC.
I called Solar City this morning to tell them I got the HPWC. They said they would pass the info along to the person working my account.
Haven't heard back yet. I'm pretty sure they are really busy! Especially here in the Silicon Valley.
Just for the fun of it, here's what it looks like IN the box.

Tesla_HPWCs.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

And here is what is inside the box.

Tesla_HPWC_Inside.jpg

And the fine print. Oh no! More waiting...

Tesla_HPWC_Memo.jpg

For what it's worth, just a quick note about the HPWC. Mine was installed last week, so I've been using it since then. It is certainly a very attractive component. The only downside to it for me is that the cable is so much thicker and stiffer than on the mobile connector that I got used to using while waiting on the HPWC.

My car only has one onboard charger. I installed the HWPC because I wanted a hard-wired charging station rather than having the mobile connector hanging by its plug or otherwise rigged onto the wall. So, the HPWC provides no benefit in charging speed for my car, although it does give me the option to add the second charger in the future (unlikely) or offer faster charging to guests.

All things considered, I'm still happy with my decision to install the HWPC, but it's a closer call than I originally thought, due to the extra effort required to wrangle the cable.

For what it's worth, just a quick note about the HPWC. Mine was installed last week, so I've been using it since then. It is certainly a very attractive component. The only downside to it for me is that the cable is so much thicker and stiffer than on the mobile connector that I got used to using while waiting on the HPWC.

My car only has one onboard charger. I installed the HWPC because I wanted a hard-wired charging station rather than having the mobile connector hanging by its plug or otherwise rigged onto the wall. So, the HPWC provides no benefit in charging speed for my car, although it does give me the option to add the second charger in the future (unlikely) or offer faster charging to guests.

All things considered, I'm still happy with my decision to install the HWPC, but it's a closer call than I originally thought, due to the extra effort required to wrangle the cable.
I agree with you that the cable wrangling (I like that) is more challenging. I have to pay particular attention to make sure that when I unplug that the cable isn't wandering into the tire pathway where I might run it over. It also gets loops and twists that are challenging to undo without wacking the side of the car.

But, as you say, I think the overall benefits, appearance, and in my case the ability to charge at 20kW make it well worth it. It's nice to know that I always have the UMC in the car now in case of emergency or opportunity.

I have twin chargers on my car and passed on the HPWC as I wanted to build an EVSE. I just sent Tesla a note about buying a HPWC and have yet to hear back from them. Do you guys/gals have a feel for how many are back ordered for customers that got them with their cars?

Does anyone know the current HPWC backlog? I finalized my Model S on 2/10/13 and am trying to schedule and prepare for the electrician. Thanks!

In all likelihood you'll need a temporary outlet and have to survive on the UMC for a while until the HPWC arrives - Solar City is quite familiar with this arrangement. We finalized our configuration in March of 2012 and still don't have an HPWC yet.

In all likelihood you'll need a temporary outlet and have to survive on the UMC for a while until the HPWC arrives - Solar City is quite familiar with this arrangement. We finalized our configuration in March of 2012 and still don't have an HPWC yet.

Thanks for the reply. It helped to set realistic exceptions on my end. There's no Solar City/Mr. Electric in Alaska, but I'll get that new service line, breaker box, and NEMA 6-50 going in the meantime.

Thanks for the reply. It helped to set realistic exceptions on my end. There's no Solar City/Mr. Electric in Alaska, but I'll get that new service line, breaker box, and NEMA 6-50 going in the meantime.

Make sure you're really clear with your DS that you'll need the 6-50 adaptor as well as the standard 14-50. I thought I was, but apparently not, so I went a few days with just 110 charging. There's no Solar City in TX either, and Mr Electric didn't return my call until about 3 days ago (I called them 6 weeks ago), but I think there's something of a disconnect within Tesla if you do not use one of their partners for the temporary install.

My PS informed me yesterday that Tesla is trying their best to get all HPWCs out by the end of March. Take that for what it's worth.
Good to know. Mine is being replaced. After less than a week of usage, a fuse blew and they're not sure why yet. The car logs indicated nothing trouble on the car side of things, so they want to take a look at the whole unit.