Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - HPWC (High Power Wall Connector)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Received mine today. Installing in the AM.

20130215_104003.jpg

One issue I've found with the HPWC is that I keep hitting the end of the plug on the ground as I try to get the cord wrapped around the HPWC. It hasn't done any damage (yet), but the cord is so thick and long that I can't figure out how to get it from unwrapped to wrapped without thwacking the plug at least once on the ground. I'd be curious to know if others have experienced this problem and how they are dealing with it. I don't think that the cord holder wil necessarily make this any easier.

I haven't unpacked the HPWC yet, but one thing that I've found that helps when coiling any cable is to use a technique I first saw demonstrated on Ask This Old House. It involves alternating the "twist" you give to each loop of the cable as you coil it up, so that you can just grab one end of the coiled cable and walk away with it, and it will uncoil without getting all knotted. This may make it easier to coil the HPWC cable without having to have the plug end free to flop around like it would if you do all your loops in one direction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Disgruntled would be counter-productive, but a call is probably a good idea to nudge the process.

I considered doing the same... But honestly, I'm tired of chasing tesla to do what's right. I asked when I went in for service, and they told me they were unicorns and no one was getting them. I informed them about TMC deliveries and basically got a shrug. Got the parcel shelf while there tho.

Thanks for that video mike. It's always the simple things...

I haven't unpacked the HPWC yet, but one thing that I've found that helps when coiling any cable is to use a technique I first saw demonstrated on Ask This Old House. It involves alternating the "twist" you give to each loop of the cable as you coil it up, so that you can just grab one end of the coiled cable and walk away with it, and it will uncoil without getting all knotted. This may make it easier to coil the HPWC cable without having to have the plug end free to flop around like it would if you do all your loops in one direction.

That's a "roadie wrap", or "over-under". It supposedly does less damage to the cable than normal coiling, too. It doesn't cause the conductors on one side of the cable to be stretched out more than the conductors on the other side. Supposedly.

With this arrangement can you charge 2 cars at once or one at a time? Why did you pick this type of installation?

Yes, I can. I picked it because I didn't want anything to do with a 6-50, so I got a 14-50 (2.5 months ago when I got the car). Since it was going to take more work to convert the 14-50 to HPWC, I figured I might as well keep the 14-50 in case it's needed in the future. It provides the capability for someone else to charge, and a backup in case the (largely unproven) HPWC has any issues. It was a very small amount extra, incrementally, to keep it.

You have two seperate electrical runs from the circuit breaker panel in the conduit? One for the 14-50 outlet and another run for the HWPC? If the HWPC and 14-50 are on the same line, wouldn't you, per code, have to install only a 50A breaker, which would negate the advantage of the HWPC?

You have two seperate electrical runs from the circuit breaker panel in the conduit? One for the 14-50 outlet and another run for the HWPC? If the HWPC and 14-50 are on the same line, wouldn't you, per code, have to install only a 50A breaker, which would negate the advantage of the HWPC?

They are on separate lines and breakers, except for the ground.

I have a similar set up to aviators99. Anticipated that we might get a second EV one day and figured it was just as easy to have a NEMA 14-50 (which I needed for over 2 months until the HPWC came) and a separate run for the HPWC. I have a 200amp subpanel so, in theory, I could add a second HPWC in the future if I want to (replacing the NEMA 14-50.

Here are all the photos of my install from start to finish:
Tesla Model S Charger Installation - a set on Flickr

8477564284_779abe9b1d_c.jpg
Tesla High Power Wall Charger Installation by efusco, on Flickr

Bad news:
My HPWC went dark tonite. After charging from ~30 Rated to 149 Rated the vehicle is reporting Wall Power Disconnected (or whatever that message is) and the HPWC green "light of life" is extinguished. Cycling the breaker doesn't helped. Holding the HPWC reset button doesn't help. I'll call the electrician tomorrow I guess.

Thankfully I have the 14-50R backup and it's working fine. (175 Rated so far)

Interesting thing to consider:

Now that I have my HPWC, I start the day with less range. Because it charges so quickly, the vampire sucking begins sooner. I might actually start using my timer script to start charging in the middle of the night, even though I don't have time-of-use service. Or I could just dial down the Amps when I don't need them.

Yes, I can. I picked it because I didn't want anything to do with a 6-50, so I got a 14-50 (2.5 months ago when I got the car). Since it was going to take more work to convert the 14-50 to HPWC, I figured I might as well keep the 14-50 in case it's needed in the future. It provides the capability for someone else to charge, and a backup in case the (largely unproven) HPWC has any issues. It was a very small amount extra, incrementally, to keep it.
Nice setup.

Now that I have my HPWC, I start the day with less range. Because it charges so quickly, the vampire sucking begins sooner. I might actually start using my timer script to start charging in the middle of the night, even though I don't have time-of-use service. Or I could just dial down the Amps when I don't need them.

I am just using the HPWC @ 40amps (selected in the car) for my routine charging, an old thread suggested that is better for the battery long term. You can feel how warm the plug and cable get at 80 amps.

Evan, Via Tapatalk

And in case charging stops before it gets full (tripping fuse or other reasons) have the script text message you in the middle of the night so that theres no surprises in the morning :)

What size is that conduit? :)

- - - Updated - - -

Ownership told me that my HPWC delivery is due early-March. I'm a bit dismayed that production owners are getting theirs before mine, but it seems that it's the usual SOP for Tesla. :)

High Power Wall Connector installed today and working perfectly at 239 Volts / 80 Amps. $40 plus wire for complete installation from the 14-50 previously installed. Total bill about $110 with conduit for the switch. Left the NEMA 14-50 active in case of trouble with the HPWC.

High Power Wall Connector installed today and working perfectly at 239 Volts / 80 Amps. $40 plus wire for complete installation from the 14-50 previously installed. Total bill about $110 with conduit for the switch. Left the NEMA 14-50 active in case of trouble with the HPWC.

Not on the same circuit I hope? You're not permitted to connect a 50-amp receptacle to a 100-amp circuit.