Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - HPWC (High Power Wall Connector)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I understand it a TPN number ending in 99-C is the new revamped one, 99-A is the old one, and 99-B could go either way (mostly the wrong way) because of a running change mid stream. The change is to the fuse and busbar assy, and older -A and -B units can be upgraded by Tesla service techs. My older -B (as yet uninstalled) will undergo this procedure soon. New replacement upgraded HPWC units were sent out "early" on as the supply of fuse/busbar upgrade kits built up over and above the level needed to support the production of new units. Does that about sum it up to everyone's understanding?

Last edited:
New fuses received ...

IMG_0841.JPG

IMG_0842.JPG

IMG_0843.JPG

That's very odd, they moved away from class T like we see here? Can you photograph them once you install them?

Got a call from the service center today, they don't have the parts yet but they'll ship them to me once they receive them.

Indeed. I wonder if that picture is NOT the updated fuses -- or perhaps that's what you get with a new HPWC but the retrofit is the fuses I got. The ones I got must be installed vertically -- so it won't look at all like this picture.

These things retail for ~$85! (Tesla was saying they're a $250 item, each!)

Indeed. I wonder if that picture is NOT the updated fuses -- or perhaps that's what you get with a new HPWC but the retrofit is the fuses I got. The ones I got must be installed vertically -- so it won't look at all like this picture.

These things retail for ~$85! (Tesla was saying they're a $250 item, each!)

...which is silly because the class of fuse they used is simply not necessary, and the $15 retail parts they used in the new kits (200 amp class T) should work just fine. Can't wait to see how yours looks when the new kit goes in. Good luck. Doing it yourself?

You got them from whom? Tesla? You can override the 60A limit as long as you're not using scheduled charging :\

Yes. Tesla came to the house and installed them last week.

BUT in a twist, spoke with the SC today and they told me that have an even newer set of fuses for me. I mentioned that the technician said I would have no problem going up to 80A, to which she responded, "Yes, that should be no problem, but these new fuses are better. It will charge faster."

I'm just repeating what she said. I know it's dead wrong.

If you need any open end wrenches, adjustable wrenches etc, socket sets, etc, I have all of that from my earlier "wrenching" experience rebuilding an engine years ago... Let me know, I could stop by and bring some stuff if you need, no point in buying anything for a one time job.

It will require a good standard screwdriver (for the lugs end) and a wrench (for the contactor end). Be careful with the screws, the heads are very soft and it's easy to strip (it's why I recommend using a properly-fitting standard screwdriver rather than a phillips-head). Be sure you torque the fasteners well, don't want any heat.

Unless you have special low-profile sockets, a socket set won't really work.

Anyone having issues with the cables getting Really HOT when charging at 80amps?
even my 100amp breaker and the metal piping is gettin hotter ten what would seem normal.

tx!!

Same here. Been that way for a while never had any issues until two days ago. A charge from an almost empty bat @80A, the garage being in the high 90F.
One of the HPWC fuses blew. Awaiting updated fuses. Maybe next week.

Thanks cinergi:
How are the attached brackets suppose to fit our generation HPWC or are you suppose to remove them? (Going by memory)...

Also they are rated for 200A. Is this safe?

Spec:

Product Information for Bussmann JJN-200
Bussmann
UL Class T Fuses, JJN Series
Item# JJN-200 - FUSE, 200A, 300V, VERY FAST ACTING
JJN Series Information
1~1200 Amps
300VAC
Very Fast Acting
Cartridge or Center Bolted
UL, CSA, CE Approvals
Bussmann JJN series are small, space‑saving fuses that provide a high degree of current limitation on short‑circuits for excellent component protection. These fuses are commonly used in electric heat circuits, load center, disconnect switches, and meters.

Space-Saving Package
High Speed of response for Semiconductor Protection

Last edited:
The fuses chosen are safe for protecting against short-circuit failures caused by the device. Your branch circuit capacity should be protected by your circuit breaker, and these fuses will also provide belt-and-suspenders backup for short-circuits involving the HPWC.