Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - HPWC (High Power Wall Connector)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My house has 150A service and I'm getting a brand new additional 100A that will be allowed to be used ONLY for the EV. Hopefully with the dedicated separate service, we'll easily be able to exploit every bit of that HPWC's capability.

My next step is to do some looking through the threads/forums for ideas on "pass-throughs" for the charging cable. Our car will live outdoors unfortunately, but I'd prefer to keep the charger indoors, so I need to figure out something more elegant than closing the garage door down on the cable. :)

My house has 150A service and I'm getting a brand new additional 100A that will be allowed to be used ONLY for the EV. Hopefully with the dedicated separate service, we'll easily be able to exploit every bit of that HPWC's capability.

My next step is to do some looking through the threads/forums for ideas on "pass-throughs" for the charging cable. Our car will live outdoors unfortunately, but I'd prefer to keep the charger indoors, so I need to figure out something more elegant than closing the garage door down on the cable. :)

I'd look into building (or have some one build) a box to house the HPWC. The goal is to keep the rain off of it. It wouldn't have to be that big, maybe 18W, 36H and 9D with room to coil the cable. You could make a small hole in the door for the cable so you can close the door while charging. If security is an issue, you could put a lock on it.

Tankless heaters are a waste of money. They aren't as green as the sales people would have you believe- the payback period is really long

Edit, They may well be thankless but I meant to say tankless.

Last edited:
Thankless heaters are a waste of money. They aren't as green as the sales people would have you believe- the payback period is really long

That's not been my experience. I was paying $30/month for hot water and was constantly running out. The Takagi tankless water heater saves 2/3 of the gas used according to the graph on the bill. Mine has been in for eleven years (average life is 20-25 years), gas bill has been less than $9 per month (and there were some fairly hefty price increases shortly after I installed mine so $45 to $60 would have been the normal bill.). I'm sure I use more hot water than I did before the tankless water heater too. It's paid for itself many times over now.

Note that if you're referring to electric tankless hot water heaters, then I agree that those aren't particularly energy efficient. Electricity's best use isn't heating water (other than in the microwave).

The issue is payback - they cost significantly higher to install. When I looked at them they were about 3X the cost of a tank based system. It looked like I would break even on the cost differential in about 12 years. And that didn't include the cost of installation - my tank system was a simple swap and tankless was a whole lot more work.

The issue is payback - they cost significantly higher to install. When I looked at them they were about 3X the cost of a tank based system. It looked like I would break even on the cost differential in about 12 years. And that didn't include the cost of installation - my tank system was a simple swap and tankless was a whole lot more work.

I think I recall it cost about $150 or $175 to install mine.

Technically, passing flexible cord through doorways is a no-no in the code, but you're in a gray area here.

The HPWC is a NEMA-3R rated enclosure, so it's rain-safe.

I love our tankless (gas) hot water heater. It's a renai. Endless hot water, and you can adjust the temperature using remotes so you only heat the water as much as needed. No wasted energy.

</off topic>

MPH: I hope no one is quoting or believing the computed figures for this as presented on the dash. Mine are pure nonsense.

I use the time clock during charging and then compare to the MILES stated on the CHARGING screen. And these miles will actually get you home.
--

My HPWC has a little paper divider between the fuses (200amp) should I take this out? Couldn't find anything about it in the installation manual. It's in a prime spot to catch fire so I will take it out unless I hear differently from someone on the board or from Tesla themselves. The date stamp on the mounting bracket shows it was manufactured April 30th of this year.

My HPWC has a little paper divider between the fuses (200amp) should I take this out? Couldn't find anything about it in the installation manual. It's in a prime spot to catch fire so I will take it out unless I hear differently from someone on the board or from Tesla themselves. The date stamp on the mounting bracket shows it was manufactured April 30th of this year.

I pulled it out of mine. I don't see a reason for it to be there... I'll put it back if someone says I need to but I thought the same thing.